Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my hair loss slow down?

Hello Wondering1,

Try taking MSM. It is a natural sulfur for the body. Between MSM and Biotin it should slow that down tremedously. (I've been taking it for a long time now, and granted it is in my system, but it works wonders.) I am going on 2 months post op, and have not felt the affects of hair loss just yet. I'm hoping it stays that way because of the combination of Vitamins that I take.

Good luck!

S2B

i also am taking Biotin. i am bout 4 months out and the hairloss is severe. everyone tells me the biotin wil help grow new hair but not stop the loss, at least it is something though.

There is no way to tell when it will stop/slow down. Most people seem to lose between the 3-6 month post op range. Mine started at 2 months post op and is still going strong at 8 months ugh. I went from washing my hair daily to only washing it twice a week and trying to only style it once a week because of the amount that falls out each time :(

I met a couple of women who came to the Options class at Kaiser, one was one year out and the other two years out from sleeve surgery. The younger woman (about 35 yrs old) talked about the Hair loss, but is now having her hair growing back in - I didn't look bad at all. The other woman (about 50) years old and two years out had beautiful think hair. She said it all grew back. Both women are at goal weight. It really gave me hope that it is not permanent but a part of the process. I noticed after having my children, and other women also report, that you have temporary hair loss...but it does grow back.

My Hair loss has gotten sooo bad! Im scared to brush my hair :( im taking Biotin, don't really know if its working but im still taking it every day religiously. I will look into MSM. Hope my hair loss slows. Good luck everyone!

First, it's fairly normal to lose hair right around three months. I lost hair until about 7 months post op - between 5 and 7 months post op it slowly started to improve but the fourth month was really bad. I was scared I'd have to cut all my hair off!

Second, try upping your Protein intake if you can. I know it's hard to eat that much, especially so early on, but 80-100 grams per day really makes a difference in me. I will say that right around 15 months I let my Protein dip - I got careless, our location prevented me from eating meat and dairy every day, etc. and I started losing hair again. As soon as I upped it back up above 80 grams a day the Hair loss stopped.

Oh, and I took Biotin for months and it didn't seem to help. Once I stopped I didn't notice a difference at all. For some folks it might help but for some the loss just happens and will end once our bodies get used to the drastic changes we're making.

Good luck. Don't worry too much, you'll get through this.

~Cheri

I was going to say the same thing as the post above me. When I hit the 50 lb mark my hair started falling out in clumps. It was so much I had to vacuum the bathroom floor almost everyday. I put myself on Biotin (doctor said works for some and does not work for others). At my 4 month doctor visit he up'ed the Protein from 60-70 to 80 grams a day. After about a month on the 80 grams the Hair loss has not stopped but is much better. Only a few strands when I brush instead of handfuls. They also said the hair is on 3 month cycles of grow and fall out and surgery and anest. can make it fall out too and not much you can do about it.

My Hair loss started around the 2.5 month mark and is still going pretty strong. I have focused on making sure my Protein is up almost to the exclusion of everything else - even carbs are not as important as that all-singing all-dancing protein. I *think* the loss is slowing down some because of that. I don't take any Biotin supplements or anything, just a Multivitamin and Calcium. I'm hoping the loss will slow down/stop within the next few months. I've always had very thick hair and it's sort of sad to see so much of it coming out.

hate to say this, but i'm 2 years out and still losing alot of hair with every brushing. . alot has grown back but alot falls out too. . . if its the old hair, i'm not sure. . . amazing i'm not bald yet. . .

Since this is my 2nd time having WLS, I knew the hair loss would happen- but it is MUCH worse this time. My first surgery was 13 1/2 years ago, but I don't think age has much to do with it.

I'm getting in LOTS of Protein, in fact its mostly Protein and little else..... yes I know there should be balance. Anyhow, I HATE HATE HATE taking pills. I get the gag reflex really bad, doesn't matter how small they are.... But, like some have stated, I'm surprised I'm not bald already. I'm 4 1/2 months out from surgery. I've been researching foods that have Vitamins that help with Hair loss. I haven't started this yet, just started researching this yesterday- but thought I would share.

I came back to this site just to see what others were saying. I used to have such thick hair that it barely took 2x with a pony tail holder to hold a pony tail. Now its so thin, I can't even hardly get it to stay in no matter how many times I wrap the holder around the hair. Very depressing!!

I've been doing the same thing as sasics is doing, with limiting the # of times per week I am washing/ styling my hair. Yes, it is kind of gross I guess. My hair is shoulder length and I tend to wear it straight normally, so I just use a flat Iron and then just do little things with clips to change it once in awhile.

Ugh.... I want my thick hair back...

http://www.hairlosstreatment-s.com/vitamin-and-hair-loss.html

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=87#deficiencysymptoms

Just a question. I have prepared myself for the Hair loss, but is it bad enough to cause bald spots? I can handle it thinning out, but the idea of bald spots causes anxiety. Just wondering...

I am 3 months post-op and my hair loss has started. I was kind of hoping I'd be the lucky one to not suffer from it, because I already have very fine/thin hair. Tomorrow I'm splurging and getting a nice haircut, dye, and collagen hair treatment. It's a reward for my 42 lb weight loss and an attempt to salvage my hair.

Dying my hair darker makes it appear thicker. I also hope that by cutting it shorter, it will be less likely to fall out because it will weigh less. It'll also help with volume. The collagen hair treatment also will help with my damaged hair and hopefully make it healthier (i.e. less likely to fall out).

I'm taking 1000 mcg of Biotin daily. I am going to look into MSM too. Hair loss may not be preventable, but I'm still going to do all I can save it.

My aunt had the sleeve two years ago, and she got bald spots from her fast weight loss. That scares me :(. It's grown back at least...

Thankfully I started with a very thick head of hair..But I too have lost alot...my hair is thin now..I also took Biotin and I'm starting to see where the hair is starting to grow back..thank goodness..I'm about 6 months postop and I've noticed that I'm back to the normal amount of hair I would loose when I wash it...

VST Family and hair Loss,

Allow me to provide you with input that could possibly help. First of all, I have been very athletic most of my adult life. I have been a runner for the last 17 years. I mention this, because being a runner means that you could have a very sensitive stomach (all that bouncing up\down), which I do. Therefore, there are foods that I could not each while partaking in my favorite passtime.

Sooooo, I have learned the things that can help with joints and Hair loss. Thus far, I am 7 weeks out. I've only experienced the normal amount of shedding.

I take Biotin (promotes growth for hair\nails), MSM (promotes growth for hair\nails -- ie. excellent for the joints) and Garlic (stops shedding of the hair). I have been taking these for a couple of years, and I know the affects of each.

MSM is a natural Sulfur for the body. Sulfur makes the hair grow. Make sure that when you begin to take these pills, you test your body for any adverse reactions. Start off with 1 a day for a week. If you have no side affects, ie itching\rashes\etc, then slowly up your intake to 2 a day. Try not to exceed more than 3 a day. The liver and only clear out so much at a time, and with the multi-vitamins\hair Vitamins, and Protein that we are taking -- it can only absorb so much.

My suggestion is do your research on ALL 3. See what comes up for you. For me, I have gotted 1.5 inches of growth since surgery (9/21). I am also noticing that I am becoming a slow looser also (even with heavy exercise). (On my 2nd stall and it's only week 7 for me.)

I am now getting more food in, which means more calories. Hopefully, by the time I am 3 months -- I will not have hair loss as most here have mentioned. I will keep you posted!

I do hope this helps

Good Luck to you

S2B