Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All you Boston People!!

Thanks, Nicole for starting this Boston Group. I am from Allston (on the Brighton border) and was "sleeved" 2 weeks ago today at Mass General Hospital by Dr. Matthew Hutter. I am 66 years old and was afraid of complications becasue of my age, but luckily had a very smooth recovery with only a couple of challenges. One was that I quickly became lactose intollerant, but have now conquered that with soy milk and soy products! Another was that I seemed to have pain in my incision area longer than other people on the forum, but learned that was normal and caused by stiching on the inside to the muscle as well as on the outside at the two main areas (the one for the camera and the one for the stapler)..

I know there are a few more people from Boston here on the forum in the "Regional" area of the forum. Maybe we can join this group?

If anyone has any questions for me, I am happy to share what I can.

All good things,

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

Howdy!

I just joined so it may take me a little while to learn the ropes and get my profile up and running. I had my surgery on October 6th. I'm only down 30 lbs but am hopeful that it will continue to go down, down, down. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 2 weeks now and reckon it might have something to do with hospitalization for low potassium and all those grand IV bags that were hung.

I suppose I'm the most concerned with Protein at the moment...I despise the supplements. (But am of course open to suggestions!)

Looking forward to connecting with other sleevers. Quick! Someone tell me I didn't do all of this only to lose 30 lbs...

Best,

KD

Hi KD:

First of all, it is very good that you joined this forum because there are lots of people who can give your tips from their own experience. So congrats on that. Also, 30 pounds lost is nothing to sneeze at. Congratulate yourself on losing this much.

Secondly, if I were you, I would go to the "tell your story" part of this forum if you haven't done that yet to tell people about who you are and what you need. Also, I would recomment asking questions in the "Post Surgery" section which is also fantastic if you have a problem, like you seem to have with worrying about weight loss. People will help you here.

But you need to give people more information about your situation -- like how you are measuring your 30 pounds lost. Is that the amount since your surgery, or are you counting before surgery weight loss. How much do you need to lose? In my "weight loss ticker" below, I am counting from before my surgery, when I started with the weight loss program at Mass General Hospital. I lost 10 pounds before I had my surgery.

Also helpful is where you had your surgery. Are you under the care of a nutritionist or program giving you instrucitons on what and how much to eat and drink? What are you eating and drinking?

These are things that will help people know how to give you advice and suggestions. We are all in this together so sharing is important. You will get help.

You say you are from New England. Where abouts? I am in Boston.

Good luck,

Phyllis (Hopeful Spirit)

Howdy!

I just joined so it may take me a little while to learn the ropes and get my profile up and running. I had my surgery on October 6th. I'm only down 30 lbs but am hopeful that it will continue to go down, down, down. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 2 weeks now and reckon it might have something to do with hospitalization for low potassium and all those grand IV bags that were hung.

I suppose I'm the most concerned with Protein at the moment...I despise the supplements. (But am of course open to suggestions!)

Looking forward to connecting with other sleevers. Quick! Someone tell me I didn't do all of this only to lose 30 lbs...

Best,

KD

Hi Boston Sleevers,

I just joined verticalsleevetalk.com today. I am scheduled for my VSG on 2/16/2012 at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA.

with Dr. Brams.

I'm a bit nervous because I met with the Dr. on 12/23/2012 and he said they have only performed

12 VSGs at Lahey.

He mentioned that VSG Surgery is just ramping up in New England due to Insurance Companies

just starting to pay for this etc...

Are other folks in the Boston area finding that the number of VSGs at hospitals is in it's infancy

and numbers are low??

It is making me concerned...

Thanks in advance,

Robin

Hi! My name is Dee and I was sleeved 1/24/12 at Brigham and Womens Hospital by Dr. Tavakkoli. I had a great experience there and my nurses were fantastic! I have lost 25 pounds since the start of my pre op liquid phase :)

Phyllis I too have some incisional pain still.. feels almost like a burning... I have my post op on Monday!

I am curious/...... how long before you guys were able to start on soft foods? I was able to start on them 2 weeks after my surgery..... I noticed some people here are told to stay on the liquids for 3 to 4 weeks post op??? I wonder how the MD make that decision?? Just wondering what other Boston MD were saying?

Thanks! Dee

Hi Dee,

Glad all is going well for you. My surgery date is a week from today.

As mentioned I'm getting it done at Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma.

I am suppose to be able to start introducing soft foods on Day 8

after surgery. First week is all liquids and 3-20 gram Protein Shakes

a day. Then on day 8 for Breakfast I can have one scrambled egg

for Breakfast and a shake for lunch and dinner, day 9 one egg for breakfast and 1-2 oz.

of soft Protein for lunch and 1 shake for dinner. Day 10 egg, and

1-2 oz of soft Protein for lunch and dinner. That is how I've been instructed

to start introducing food....

Congrats on the weight loss!!

Hi There,

My surgery went very well! I am so glad it is behind me but doctor said I did very well... Guess my liver looked fabulous! :)

I only had two bouts of nausea. One was when I was coming out of the anesthesia and then when they took me off the diauladin intravenous pain meds.

But as soon as the gave me the anti-nausea meds I was fine.

I stayed two nights in the hospital. I was very happy with my care at Lahey.

I took a shower for the first time this morning and that felt wonderful. I get tired easily but each day I feel better. Trying to get down the recommended fluids is tough... If I sip too quickly I burp alot... It is a process getting use to the new you... I'm sore like I did a million situps but pain meds help with this.

All in all I'm doing well!! Thanks so much for checking!!! I'll keep you posted as I progress..

Oh one thing that I think others have experienced but bummed me out was that

I gained 9lbs while in the hospital. My sister-in-law who is a nurse said it is because of all the IV fluids they pumped into me and this weight will be lost

quickly.... Did others experience this weight gain while in hospital??

Hi

I'm going to be having my VSG surgery at Newton Wellesley. So far I'm thrilled with their WLS program. We are targeting surgery for the first week in April. I'll find out definitely at my next appt.

Newton Wellesly does more Gastric Bypasses than VSG - so I'm a little nervous about that, but like I said, so far I'm really impressed.

Anybody have any experience with Newton Wellesley?

Hi Ssansoucie,

I had my VSG done on 2/16/12 at Lahey Clinic and they just started offering this procedure this year.. Numbers aren't high for them either and I was also nervous about this. BUT my surgery went very well and my recovery has been so fast I'm even surprised!!! It all depends on how good the surgeon is.. If the surgeon has done hundreds of bypasses like mine had the VSG is a simpler surgery to perform. I got over my anxiety by keeping this fact in mind. They don't have a ton of long term data on the sleeve either which they will warn you about. I will tell you the radiologist at Lahey who did my leak test raved about this surgery and thinks it is going to become the 1st choice by most in the very near future.

It is scary and stressful making the decision and I was just like you. But as mentioned the procedure was not bad at all for me. I'm not even a week out and up walking around, doing light chores and I feel like I could even go back to work. Might be pushing it but I do computer work which isn't physically taxing. This was the very first surgery I've ever had and I'm 52. Hardest part for me has been trying to get the required fluids down after surgery and learning how to treat my new stomach and understanding new fullness signals. Signals are Very different than pre-surgery... I think coming out of the anesthesia was harder than the actual surgery too...

I think we are lucky in MA. to have as many good hospital/doctor options as we do.. I don't have any experience with Newton Wellesley but have heard good things about it.... I was happy with my care and surgeon at Lahey Clinic.

Good luck with your journey!!

skifast1998

Thanks! I'm excited about the surgery. My surgeon has done TONS of Gastric Bypasses and I feel very comfortable with her. I know a few friends who have had bypass at NWH, but no one with the VSG.

Tonight I have another group meeting to attend and looking forward to it.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience at Lahey. (I work in Bedford so I'm close to that hospital). I chose Newton Wellesley because all of my other Dr's are there.

I'm 37 (soon to be 38) and have a BMI of 37, but have Type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure and cholesterol. I'm hoping to lose about 65 lbs, so I think the VSG is a good choice for me.

Keep me posted on your progress and congrats!!!

Hi everyone. I'm scheduled for surgery on June 25, which will be just after I get out of school for the summer (4th grade teacher). I will be having Dr. David Lautz as my surgeon at the Brigham.

Is this still an active group? I'm looking forward to chatting with you all throughout the process. :)

Artichokes,

Yes. This is still an active group. Not many posts in the last month or so.

Congrats on having a surgery date.

I'm 6 weeks post surgery. I had my sleeve done on 2/16/12.

I'm thrilled with the results. No problems at all after surgery.

I do recommend following the Nurse Practioner, Surgeon and Dietician's

advice pre-surgery. I followed it to a tee and I think this made a difference

on such a successful post surgery experience. The more weight you can

lose pre-surgery the better also. They wanted me to lose 30lbs which I

did but it was hard til I started on liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. I

actually found it easier to be on liquid diet... No more food options just

stick to the liquids..

I've lost 25lbs since my surgery date and 30 prior so total of 55 since

my first consult on Oct. 26, 2012. I had my surgery at Lahey Clinic.

I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. I know

I found these forums very helpful easing my fears and concerns pre-surgery.

Skifast1998

My surgery is coming up. April 12th. I'm excited but really nervous.

@ skifast1998 - Glad to hear you're doing so well!!!