Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As of yesterday, I have lost 100 pounds. YEA! (cue happy music to start playing loudly) Now, to lose the last 18 pounds. My target is to be done in January of 2012.

I started my preop diet on February 9th of this year, and had surgery February 22nd with Dr. Nicholson in Dallas, TX. My surgery went extremely well. I had no complications and went home after one night in the hospital. My recovery went smoothly. I had no trouble drinking fluids or finding a Protein I could tolerate. Didn't have any vomiting once I got home. Didn't need much pain medicine at all - took a total of two or three pills after I left the hospital. Went back to work three weeks after surgery - I had to wait for my three weeks check-up before I could get my doctor's clearance. I have a two hour drive to the office, and the doctor was concerned about me being in a car for that long that soon. I had to stop and walk around for 5 minutes or so after an hour - to help prevent the possibility of clots. Working a twelve hour day (8 hours work, 4 hours driving) was too long at first, so I would stay in a hotel close to the office for three nights a week until I was ready for the 12 hour days.

This journey so far has been a major learning experience for me. I am a very organized (obsessive?) person. I had everything mapped out for each day - what I would eat. I tracked calories, protein, carbs and ounces of Fluid. In all my dieting history I had never tracked the grams of protein or carbs in my food - so this was brand new.

The other major learning experience was how to deal with life without my old "frenemy" FOOD as my coping mechanism. There are addicts in my family tree (alcohol, recreational pharmaceuticals) and that tendency is within me. Not for drugs or alcohol - why go there when there was food available? (Cocaine couldn't be any more satisfying than brownies.) So I am having to build an entire new relationship with food, and build totally different coping skills for all of the triggers that previously resulted in me choosing to use food inappropriately. I am pleased to report that this effort is going well. But it really is "one day at a time" as the AA folks say. I have to stay 100% conscious of what I am doing.

On a lighter note - I have had a blast rediscovering smaller clothes. I am now in 12's and some 14's - and they are petites! Still sounds strange to even say that! I started out is 24 Womens and 3X's. I say "thank God for clothes" as it hides all the sagging wrinkled skin from the weight loss.

I am also WAY HEALTHIER than I was. My PCP was talking to me prior to me starting the 6 month preop (which actually took a year for me - insurance issues) about WHEN I would have a heart attack, not IF. My father dropped dead of a massive heart attack when he was about the age I was when I started my preop diet. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea (I hated my CPAP machine and wouldn't use it). My joints ached all the time. Now, I am off all blood pressure meds, all cholesterol meds and I no longer have sleep apnea. My last labs looked good - except for borderline anemia (even with iron). That doesn't have anything to do with the sleeve, I have been that way most of my life. The only meds I take now are Vitamins and minerals, acid reducing meds, and hormones.

Didn't mean to natter on for so long. Thank all of you on this site for being such a wonderful support for me. You guys are my "AA" - and, believe me, I come here every day to help me stay focused. If I can be of help to anyone here, feel free to PM me - I am happy to return to favor.

I posted some before and recent pictures. The picture with the giant guitar is at the Hard Rock in Albuquerque. That was last Thursday - I was on vacation with my 86 year old energizer-bunny mother and my two sisters.

post-6636-13813657763323_thumb.jpg

post-6636-138136577635_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1381365776382_thumb.jpg

post-6636-1381365776533_thumb.jpg

post-6636-13813657766035_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a wonderful journey - well done, and good luck with those last few lbs to goal xx

SKC!!!! Looking really REALLY great girlie!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us - you have done EXCELLENT!!! Such an inspiration! biggrin.png

I am so very very proud of you!!! You have done an amazing job and it shows. You look happier, healthier and overall wonderful. Those last few will come off with no problem I am sure, although to be honest, you look fine just the way you are :) Congratulations and thanks for sharing your journey so far.

Congratulations Skcunningham!!!! You are looking great! And what a great payoff to have your health back! Looks like you have really taken advantage of this opportunity and made the best of it. Truly to be congratulated! I don't doubt you will finish off these last few pounds... Thanks for posting! Keeps the rest of us inspired!!!

Congrats!!! You have done an amazing job, beautiful lady!!!!!

Your story is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing it here. I can't tell you how much stories like these motivate me and keep me coming back to VST.

Fantastic job! I admire you!!!

Congrats! You look fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing your story complete with your issues and triumphs. It really helps me to read other's stories.

Lynda

You look great, what a fantastic job you have done. I too live in the Dallas area, I have discovered some great thrift and resale shops to get my clothes. I have refused to buy new clothes until I reach my goal weight, I am about 30 lbs away. I get a rush when I find nice , like new 100.00 shirts for 5.00. My wife says I need an intervention, I keep buying these clothes and I am hooked on the bargins. Good luck to you on the last few pounds, you will reach your goal.

I just recently hired a Personal Trainer for help with my last 30 lbs. I wanted to be sure that I utilize every minute I spend in the gym. I am 5 months out from surgery and have been working out hard at the gym since about 6 weeks out from surgery( when cleared by surgeon). I did not feel I have wasted any time but I really wanted to concentrate on certain areas and get the most of my time there. I would not have thought in a million years I would be 30 lbs away from my goal and much less, hire a Personal Trainer.

Congratulations, SKC!! What a great story--and it's terrific to see you looking so trim and healthy!! I'm in almost the same boat as you--still have 4 pounds to go until -100, and then have 12 after that to get to goal. I'm aiming for a New Year's goal, too!! I'm just considering 2011 as the year of transformation, and 2012 as the beginning of my thin adulthood (which I never had before!). Thanks so much for posting!!

You are awesome! Congratulations to you.

What a beautiful story you have here. So inspirational to others just beginning their journeys. I am almost 8 months out from my surgery and doing awesome with the weight loss...just made the 100 lb mark this morning. I have a ways to go still about 30 lbs but I know I'll get there and reading stories like yours gives me the motivation to keep going. So happy for you!