Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone willing to share their timeline of events from the start of the process to the approval of the surgery??

Im still waiting for surgery, but here's my timeline so far...

Thinking about WLS since August 2010;

Called for an appointment October 12, 2011;

Went for orientation, consult with surgeon, had blood drawn, psych eval, received pre-approval from insurance & scheduled surgery on October 19, 2011;

Had ultrasound October 20, 2011;

Pre-op appt schedule for November 17, 2011; and

Surgery scheduled for December 9, 2011.

Now im just counting down the days! Ive joined 3 separate forums for WLS and am addicted to them! I want surgery now!

Girl I'm right there with ya!!! lol! I am expecting to have the sleeve done by Dec or Jan so we may have close surgery dates!

I am really a newbie. At age 59, I am trying to get sleeved. I am in month 4 of my 6 months diet & nutrition program. I have completed all my surgeon’s orders except the visit to nutritionist for pre & post op nutrition diet. My start weight was 244 in July & I’m down to 236, 40BMI. I’m just learning that my doctor did not require me to lose any weight, just not gain any. I felt so lost with my PCP, I called my surgeon’s office because I kept reading on here about everyone’s nutritionist & I didn’t have one, except for pre & post opt. So I went in panic mode thinking I may have to start over again. His office advised me that he did not give me an amount to lose because everyone is different. I had been going by what we were told in the first class, which was to show the Ins Co that you can change your diet & lose some weight. I wish I had known this from the beginning & I would not have tried to lose so much from the start & just kind of spaced it out to make sure I do not get below range. I’ve been reading on here for a while & its really kind of hard to post when you’re not sure whether you will be denied. Then I feel as if I’d be too embarrassed to say so. But I guess I am kind of borderline at 5’4” and ½ as my PCP ofc has me documented, 40 BMI. My surgeon’s office has me documented at 5’4”. When I called my surgeon’s ofc his assistant told me I would need to be 40, but I told her I had spoken to the Ins Co & they had advised me that 40 or 35 – 39 with co-morbidities. I do have diabetes & sleep apnea & hi blood pressure & hi cholesterol & gerd & I also suffer with Fibromyalgia. So I just have to make sure I don’t get below probably 230 before January. I have gotten clearance from all my doctors except PCP which is not due until about 30 days before surgery & I am hoping & praying I do not get denied. I am praying to be sleeved in February 2012.

I do write this so that if anyone is just contemplating about having WLS, it is best to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Write down your questions because you will surely forget what you want to ask once sitting there with the doctor. I feel now I should have known to ask “how much weight should I lose”. I was at 249 in May when my diabetes Doctor, again got on me about my weight. So I decided to check into the Lapband, but in doing so, I found so many were revisioning to the Vertical Sleeve , so I decided to check that one out & I said, that is for me. So I still waited around until August before I signed up. I know its best to wait until you are totally sure that this is what you want, but I’m so excited now I sometimes wish I had signed up in June or July & my surgery could have been this year if approved. But all is still good. I have changed my eating habits & searched & researched & found so much info online, I am soo ready!!! What I have learned is the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to change your eating habits permanently, eat only to survive, not for pleasure or comfort, and EXERCISE. This TOOL will help me accomplish this lifelong goal.

Initial WLS Class – 7/13/2011

Initial PCP Visit – 8/18 Weight 244.8

Initial Surgeon Visit – 9/16 Weight 237

2nd PCP Visit – 9/19 Weight 237

Blood Work 10/1

Upper GI & Chest X-Ray – 10/5

Endoscopy – 10/8

Diabetes Class – 10/11

Cardiologist & EKG – 10/18

3rd PCP Visit – 10/19 Weight 236

Pelvic Exam & Ultra Sound – 10/21

Pulmonary & sleep Apnea - 10/27

Psych Eval – 10/31

Nutritionist – 11/14

PCP Clearance-February

l

Thank you and good luck to you!!!

I just finished my pre-op labs and everything is a go! I am excited and terrified. :mellow:

I have Kaiser insurance and they have it down- very structured. Here is my timeline:

6/30/11 Bariatric Overview Class

8/9/11 Bariatric Orientation

8/18/11 Consult with Surgeon- Dr Park

9/1/11 Bariatric Psychologist appt

9/26/11 Nurse Case Manager appt

10/25/11 Nutrition/Post-Op Care Class

11/10/11 Pre-Op Physical

11/28/11 VSG Surgery with Dr. Park

Seminar - 04/27/11

Initial meeting with Dr. Snyder - 05/11/11

Surgery date - 08/23/11

My insurance required 3 month weight management but I was approved in July but still had to wait because of an ulcer they found during the EGD.

I am scheduled for a EGD to look for possible Ulcer. Worried if they find something. How did they treat it and how long can that take to get better before they are willing to do surgery?

I can't remember how long the treatment was right now but it was about 6 weeks. I had my surgery on August 23rd. Don't worry, the meds come in a pack. Keep us updated.

I am scheduled for a EGD to look for possible Ulcer. Worried if they find something. How did they treat it and how long can that take to get better before they are willing to do surgery?