Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone willing to share their timeline of events from the start of the process to the approval of the surgery??

For me it went like this:

Sept. 27, 2011- WLS seminar

Oct 4&5- dietician appt & psych appt

Oct. 13-met with Surgeon

Oct. 20 had approval w/ins

Tomorrow Oct 31 is my surgery!!!

Good luck to you!!!

For me it went like this:

Sept. 27, 2011- WLS seminar

Oct 4&5- dietician appt & psych appt

Oct. 13-met with Surgeon

Oct. 20 had approval w/ins

Tomorrow Oct 31 is my surgery!!!

Good luck to you!!!

Oh my goodness,that seems SOOO fast! WOW!!! I can only hope my process starts taking off after I attend the seminar!!! I live in a fairl high populated place and they seem to schedule out pretty far. For instance,I went ahead and scheduled my nut appt with my surgeons office and I couldn't get in till the 26th of November! Uck!!

I went to my first informational seminar June 2011. I got a packet of info and started the process. I began tracking my meals and intake for the dietitian. I filled out my information and sent it in to the dr. office, I called my insurance to find out about coverage for the surgery, co-pays, psyc evaluation coverage, sleep study tests (if needed), I went down the doctors check list. After I found out I have coverage for the Psyc evaluation and I did not need a refferal for the evaluation I made an appt for the psyc evaluation. they scheduled me for July 8th. I recieved a letter from the dr office with an initial scheduled appt for august 4th. The psyc evaluation takes about 2 hours and they said it would take about 2 weeks for the bariatric center to recieve the report. I also did not have a primary care doctor so I found a participating provider and made an appt. for july. They sent me release forms to have my medical records (endocronologist, back doctor, breast exam results, gynocologist, endocronoligist, prior primary care doctor, etc...) all in one place. I filled out the forms and had them sent to my new primary care office. I had my appt with the primary care doctor on July 14th and informed her that I was considering baratric surgery. She asked about my history and types of weight loss used before etc... She wrote a letter of medical necessity (she mailed it to me a week or so later) and scheduled blood tests for me. She was familiar with this process. I went to my first appt with baratric surgeon and they did my history. In the same time, I met with the dietictian and she went over my food journal and made suggestions. The doctor told me I needed to lost about 14 lbs. I was scheduled for my next appt Sept. 8th. The doctor also wanted me to have a few more blood tests and an over night oxcimiter test... I had an appt for August 10th. with my primary care doctor. On august 10 I met with my primary care doctor and she scheduled the blood tests and the overnite oximeter test. I had the overnight oximeter test on August 24th. September 8th second appt. lost 5lbs. They decided to send in for the prior approval for the insurance. I recieved my approval September 29. I recieved my hospital stay approval October 20th. My appt with the bariatric doctor was October 21th I had now lost 15 lbs total. She said that I was scheduled for November 5th... I had my pre op testing last friday. So now I am 2 days away and looking forward to it. Sorry it took so long but I didnt want to miss anything. The doctor said that by doing as much as I could on my own and following each requirement to the letter I made this journey much smoother. Also I having my medical history in one location helped alot too because it showed my struggles in the past. My insurance was great except they did not want to tell me weather or not they do the gastric sleeve. I asked my doctor and they said they have had approvals from my insurance company before. Hope this helps....

One more thing... I had to follow up alot with each step for paperwork issues to make sure they were sent when and where they were suppose to be sent.

I started my Journey on June 24, 2011 at an info seminar. My insurance co didn't require a 6 month supervised diet like many other people have to go through, so I began to make all the appointments necessary for EKG, gallbladder sonogram, endoscopy, sleep apnea, cardiologist clearance, etc.

I was sleeved on October 18th, so my process took a little over 3 months from start to finish. Not bad, even though it felt like it took longer than that!

Good luck, I hope you decide to do it....its one of the best decisions I've ever made for ME. Everything I do on a daily basis is for everyone else in my life - my boss, my hubby, my kids...this sleeve was all about ME, and I only wish I had researched it years ago!

Informational Seminar: April 4, 2011

Consultation: June 6, 2011 (I had to wait so long for a consult because I did not have insurance until June 1)

Psych Eval: June 11, 2011 (the only thing I needed for insurance approval)

Approved: June 17, 2011

Pre-op Testing: July 12, 2011

Surgery: July 20, 2011

Seminar - 04/27/11

Initial meeting with Dr. Snyder - 05/11/11

Surgery date - 08/23/11

My insurance required 3 month weight management but I was approved in July but still had to wait because of an ulcer they found during the EGD.

Great topic of discussion! I have a box on the lower right hand corner of my blog with all the work I've done pre- and post-op

I started with a phone call to my insurance in April 2010. I had my surgery in Oct. 2010 because I had to complete 6 months of required weigh-ins with a dr., nurse or registered dietican. I did all my weigh-ins with the NUT at my surgeon's office so they could provide detailed notes to my insurance case and nurse case manager.

Here is what my timeline looked like (hope this helps!):

Call Insurance - Check! -April 2010

Case Manager's Call - Check!

Nurse's Call - Check!

Meet Nutritionist for every month

for 6 consecutive months - Check!

Attend Seminar - Check!

Meet with Surgeon - Check!

Meet with PCP - Check!

Blood Work/Labs - Check!

Pulmonary Test - Check!

Psych. Eval. - Check!

Attend Nutrition Class - Check!

All paperwork submitted

to insurance - Check!

Pre-Op Surgeon Meeting - Check!

Pre-Admission Testing - Check!

Surgery - 10/22/10 - Check!

1 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

1 Week Surgeon - Check!

3 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

3 Week Surgeon - Check!

6 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

6 Week Surgeon - Check!

3 Month Surgeon - Check!

6 Month PCP Visit & Labs - Check!

6 Month Surgeon - Check!

9 Month Surgeon - Check!

1 Year Post-Op with Surgeon & Labs - Check!

12 Physical Support Groups - Check!

Too Many Hours to Count at

Online Support Groups!!

I started my journey in April 2010 with my initial consultation with the surgeon, I had already had my 6 months supervised diet with my family practice doctor. I could have had all of this done LAST year, if I could have made up my mind to quit smoking then.

I had a sleep study in December 2010, diagnosed with Obstructive sleep Apnea. I then quit smoking in March 2011. I then had my psych eval in February 2011, and had to have 6 follow up sessions after that. Those follow up sessions took me into June when I finally got into a therapist! Every time I talked to the surgeon's office, there was something else that they were waiting on it seemed like. I finally got released from the psychologist in July 2011, then it was all sent to the insurance company in August. I got the insurance approval at the end of September. FINALLY!! Then when they asked me when I wanted to do it, I froze up lol!!

I had to do all the pre-op labs, EKG, CXR and 2 week pre-op diet also.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand on September 28, left hand on October 12, and my sleeve done on October 14. 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. But I wanted to get all of it done while I was off of work. I've lost about 27 lbs or so since 2 weeks before my 1st carpal tunnel surgery. I haven't told alot of people what exactly my stomach surgery was for, didn't figure it was anyone's business. I'm loving that I finally did something for me and my husband supports me all the way!! He works with several people who have either had the sleeve, their wives did, or the had the RNY, and he comes home with all sorts of stories for me and tips and stuff-I love it! Good luck with your journey!! smile.gif

OMG i had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand on September 12th, and i have my left hand scheduled for November 21st, and then WLS on December 9th. I was a little worried about having that many surgeries so close together, but now im not! Thanks!

Im still waiting for surgery, but here's my timeline so far...

Thinking about WLS since August 2010;

Called for an appointment October 12, 2011;

Went for orientation, consult with surgeon, had blood drawn, psych eval, received pre-approval from insurance & scheduled surgery on October 19, 2011;

Had ultrasound October 20, 2011;

Pre-op appt schedule for November 17, 2011; and

Surgery scheduled for December 9, 2011.

Now im just counting down the days! Ive joined 3 separate forums for WLS and am addicted to them! I want surgery now!

I went to my first informational seminar June 2011. I got a packet of info and started the process. I began tracking my meals and intake for the dietitian. I filled out my information and sent it in to the dr. office, I called my insurance to find out about coverage for the surgery, co-pays, psyc evaluation coverage, sleep study tests (if needed), I went down the doctors check list. After I found out I have coverage for the Psyc evaluation and I did not need a refferal for the evaluation I made an appt for the psyc evaluation. they scheduled me for July 8th. I recieved a letter from the dr office with an initial scheduled appt for august 4th. The psyc evaluation takes about 2 hours and they said it would take about 2 weeks for the bariatric center to recieve the report. I also did not have a primary care doctor so I found a participating provider and made an appt. for july. They sent me release forms to have my medical records (endocronologist, back doctor, breast exam results, gynocologist, endocronoligist, prior primary care doctor, etc...) all in one place. I filled out the forms and had them sent to my new primary care office. I had my appt with the primary care doctor on July 14th and informed her that I was considering baratric surgery. She asked about my history and types of weight loss used before etc... She wrote a letter of medical necessity (she mailed it to me a week or so later) and scheduled blood tests for me. She was familiar with this process. I went to my first appt with baratric surgeon and they did my history. In the same time, I met with the dietictian and she went over my food journal and made suggestions. The doctor told me I needed to lost about 14 lbs. I was scheduled for my next appt Sept. 8th. The doctor also wanted me to have a few more blood tests and an over night oxcimiter test... I had an appt for August 10th. with my primary care doctor. On august 10 I met with my primary care doctor and she scheduled the blood tests and the overnite oximeter test. I had the overnight oximeter test on August 24th. September 8th second appt. lost 5lbs. They decided to send in for the prior approval for the insurance. I recieved my approval September 29. I recieved my hospital stay approval October 20th. My appt with the bariatric doctor was October 21th I had now lost 15 lbs total. She said that I was scheduled for November 5th... I had my pre op testing last friday. So now I am 2 days away and looking forward to it. Sorry it took so long but I didnt want to miss anything. The doctor said that by doing as much as I could on my own and following each requirement to the letter I made this journey much smoother. Also I having my medical history in one location helped alot too because it showed my struggles in the past. My insurance was great except they did not want to tell me weather or not they do the gastric sleeve. I asked my doctor and they said they have had approvals from my insurance company before. Hope this helps....

Very informative! Thank you! And good luck to you!! I bet you are very excited!!!!

I started my Journey on June 24, 2011 at an info seminar. My insurance co didn't require a 6 month supervised diet like many other people have to go through, so I began to make all the appointments necessary for EKG, gallbladder sonogram, endoscopy, sleep apnea, cardiologist clearance, etc.

I was sleeved on October 18th, so my process took a little over 3 months from start to finish. Not bad, even though it felt like it took longer than that!

Good luck, I hope you decide to do it....its one of the best decisions I've ever made for ME. Everything I do on a daily basis is for everyone else in my life - my boss, my hubby, my kids...this sleeve was all about ME, and I only wish I had researched it years ago!

Awesome! 3 months is not that long!! It's nuts bc time feels like it is.......draggin......along.........lol. But really I just started this whole process at the beginning of Oct!! lol

Informational Seminar: April 4, 2011

Consultation: June 6, 2011 (I had to wait so long for a consult because I did not have insurance until June 1)

Psych Eval: June 11, 2011 (the only thing I needed for insurance approval)

Approved: June 17, 2011

Pre-op Testing: July 12, 2011

Surgery: July 20, 2011

Girl what insurance do you have!? lol. Thank you for the info. I just switched to Anthem Blue Cross and they are not hard to get approval from either. Just have to visit dietician,psych,then get pre op!!

Great topic of discussion! I have a box on the lower right hand corner of my blog with all the work I've done pre- and post-op

I started with a phone call to my insurance in April 2010. I had my surgery in Oct. 2010 because I had to complete 6 months of required weigh-ins with a dr., nurse or registered dietican. I did all my weigh-ins with the NUT at my surgeon's office so they could provide detailed notes to my insurance case and nurse case manager.

Here is what my timeline looked like (hope this helps!):

Call Insurance - Check! -April 2010

Case Manager's Call - Check!

Nurse's Call - Check!

Meet Nutritionist for every month

for 6 consecutive months - Check!

Attend Seminar - Check!

Meet with Surgeon - Check!

Meet with PCP - Check!

Blood Work/Labs - Check!

Pulmonary Test - Check!

Psych. Eval. - Check!

Attend Nutrition Class - Check!

All paperwork submitted

to insurance - Check!

Pre-Op Surgeon Meeting - Check!

Pre-Admission Testing - Check!

Surgery - 10/22/10 - Check!

1 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

1 Week Surgeon - Check!

3 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

3 Week Surgeon - Check!

6 Week Post-Op Nutrition - Check!

6 Week Surgeon - Check!

3 Month Surgeon - Check!

6 Month PCP Visit & Labs - Check!

6 Month Surgeon - Check!

9 Month Surgeon - Check!

1 Year Post-Op with Surgeon & Labs - Check!

12 Physical Support Groups - Check!

Too Many Hours to Count at

Online Support Groups!!

Thank you! That was very detailed and informative!!!