Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone willing to share their timeline of events from the start of the process to the approval of the surgery??

Hello! :D

Was just kinda wondering if any of you experienced sleevers would be willing to give like your own timeline experience from start to finish so I can hear of other's journey and also gain some insight into how long in general this may take. Thanks in advance! ;)

Hello! :D

Was just kinda wondering if any of you experienced sleevers would be willing to give like your own timeline experience from start to finish so I can hear of other's journey and also gain some insight into how long in general this may take. Thanks in advance! ;)

Hi! I wouldn't call myself an "experienced sleever", but I have reached a few milestones I thought I would share. I attended my first-ever WLS seminar on September 24, 2011. Then, my appointment to have my initial labwork done & meet with the Surgeon & my Patient Advocate was on October 6th. I scheduled my own sleep study through my PCP, which I completed October 13th (My results came back positive for central & obstructive sleep apnea & Grade II Obesity). I received my insurance approval letter from UHC already around October 21st! I was surprised, because I didn't know the surgery center had already submitted for approval. In the meantime, I had requested and received my 6 months of medical records from one of the many stretches of weight loss attempts I had tried. Tomorrow, October 25th, I am scheduled to complete my computer psych testing, psych eval, diet review & exercise review. So, from there, I have to begin attending support groups monthly beginning this Thursday. I anticipate scheduling surgery when I go in tomorrow. However.....I am still apprehensive! I haven't told anyone but my husband because I know they will try to talk me out of it. I am worried about having complications and I guess my mind has not really wrapped itself around this whole concept yet. I started the process in September by speaking with my PCP about the surgery bc she had it a year ago from the same surgeon I am seeing. She looks and feels AMAZING! She completely recommends it! Still, I am cautious. So, I thought I would go to a seminar and see what it was all about. Then, after the seminar, I decided I would go ahead and set up an initial consult and "just see what the surgeon had to say". He recommended it, especially since I had labwork that just came in showing a very high blood sugar at 4X the normal high limit! So, I have been blessed by no speedbumps along the way, but I am just doing my research on the internet & taking this one step at a time. It's a HUGE decision & I want to make sure I make the right one! I would love to hear your story if you don't mind sharing your decision-making process! Thanks & good luck!

Hard to really say exactly, but my timeline went something like this:

• July 2010- Approached Primary Care dr about the surgery & got a referral.
  • August 2010- Met with surgeons office & began 3 month supervised diet for insurance. During this time period, I also had the psych eval, labs, & sleep test done. I was hoping for a November surgery. No problems with insurance approval.
  • September 2010- Found out my work would not let off work in November because my boss was going to be on maternity leave from early December- mid February. (I am second in command, so to speak & they were afraid she could have the baby early).
  • December 2010- Met with surgeon's office again. I had gained 10 + pounds due to quitting smoking & depression over the delay in surgery. Told to lose it or no surgery for me in late February.
  • January-February 2011- Worked my *ss off to lose that weight.
  • February 23, 2011- Had my surgery.

Although I was upset at the time about the delay in surgery. I read the boards on this site every day & felt that it actually helped me understand what the realities of my new life would be & just how committed I would need to be to be successful. I hope this helps a bit.

Krista

Initial Surgical Consult 7/19/11 - Didn't need referral

Finishing requirements 7/11-8/11 Labs, Upper GI, CXR, NUT and Psych evals

2nd Surgical Consult 8/18/11

Found out my original surgeon is closing practice 9/28/11 (best thing that could have happened)

3rd Surgical Consult 9/30/11

New Surgeon consult 10/18/11 (Also when my surgery date was set)

Sent off for approval 10/18/11

Approved 10/19/11

Surgery is 12/7/11

Hi! I wouldn't call myself an "experienced sleever", but I have reached a few milestones I thought I would share. I attended my first-ever WLS seminar on September 24, 2011. Then, my appointment to have my initial labwork done & meet with the Surgeon & my Patient Advocate was on October 6th. I scheduled my own sleep study through my PCP, which I completed October 13th (My results came back positive for central & obstructive sleep apnea & Grade II Obesity). I received my insurance approval letter from UHC already around October 21st! I was surprised, because I didn't know the surgery center had already submitted for approval. In the meantime, I had requested and received my 6 months of medical records from one of the many stretches of weight loss attempts I had tried. Tomorrow, October 25th, I am scheduled to complete my computer psych testing, psych eval, diet review & exercise review. So, from there, I have to begin attending support groups monthly beginning this Thursday. I anticipate scheduling surgery when I go in tomorrow. However.....I am still apprehensive! I haven't told anyone but my husband because I know they will try to talk me out of it. I am worried about having complications and I guess my mind has not really wrapped itself around this whole concept yet. I started the process in September by speaking with my PCP about the surgery bc she had it a year ago from the same surgeon I am seeing. She looks and feels AMAZING! She completely recommends it! Still, I am cautious. So, I thought I would go to a seminar and see what it was all about. Then, after the seminar, I decided I would go ahead and set up an initial consult and "just see what the surgeon had to say". He recommended it, especially since I had labwork that just came in showing a very high blood sugar at 4X the normal high limit! So, I have been blessed by no speedbumps along the way, but I am just doing my research on the internet & taking this one step at a time. It's a HUGE decision & I want to make sure I make the right one! I would love to hear your story if you don't mind sharing your decision-making process! Thanks & good luck!

You are awesome!!! Thanks for your story,it gives me more motivation to take my butt to the seminar on Nov 10th! LOL :lol: I have been thinking about WLS since about Jan of 2010. Then I got pregs with twins before I could even get to my dr to talk about WLS! SO I gained 80 pounds with them (Carried them to full term) but then lost 50 after having them,then gained 35 back!!! They are 9 months old. :rolleyes: Add on dieting on and off since I was 13 and finally finding out last month that I have high cholesterol,triglycerides and glucose and most likely sleep apnea,and I finally came to the decision that WLS is right for me. I didn't even know about the sleeve until I started researching WLS a bit more extensively and I found that many ppl were talking about their successes with it and the not as bad side effects or risks compared to the RNY and Band. Getting pregs with the twins and carrying them to term did a number on my body and it didn't help that I was already obese before. It is very hard to motivate myself to excerise for more than 10 minutes or so bc I get very winded and I am exhausted ALL the time!! :(

Hard to really say exactly, but my timeline went something like this:

• July 2010- Approached Primary Care dr about the surgery & got a referral.
  • August 2010- Met with surgeons office & began 3 month supervised diet for insurance. During this time period, I also had the psych eval, labs, & sleep test done. I was hoping for a November surgery. No problems with insurance approval.
  • September 2010- Found out my work would not let off work in November because my boss was going to be on maternity leave from early December- mid February. (I am second in command, so to speak & they were afraid she could have the baby early).
  • December 2010- Met with surgeon's office again. I had gained 10 + pounds due to quitting smoking & depression over the delay in surgery. Told to lose it or no surgery for me in late February.
  • January-February 2011- Worked my *ss off to lose that weight.
  • February 23, 2011- Had my surgery.

Although I was upset at the time about the delay in surgery. I read the boards on this site every day & felt that it actually helped me understand what the realities of my new life would be & just how committed I would need to be to be successful. I hope this helps a bit.

Krista

Thank you for that! You look awesome in your profile pic BTW!!!! :)

7/4/11-Heard about VSG. Researched procedure & surgeons for a month & called Aetna to find out coverage & requirements.

8/4/11-Picked a Surgeon & Hospital of Excellence in my area & went to Orientation. The surgeons insurance coordinator called me a few days later & confirmed my insurance requirements.

8/15/11- Started 3 month diet/exercise supervised diet (really 3 visits in 2 months) with my Primary Care Physician. Meanwhile scheduled & attended appointments with my surgeon & the psychologist & nutritionist they recommended. Did blood work and continued researching and learning.

I emailed my insurance coordinator every few weeks to verify she had been receiving my paperwork as I completed them.

10/16- I completed the "3 month" supervised diet/exercise and faxed the very last document to my insurance coordinator. She was waiting for it and submitted all my paperwork to my insurance that same day.

10/18- Approved!

Now completing all my clearances for surgery (EKG, chest X-ray etc). When done I will schedule surgery & go to pre-op appointment with surgeon & a pre-op class. Surgery very soon!

Thank you for that! You look awesome in your profile pic BTW!!!! :)

Thank you! That's my diva look. lol. Good luck with your surgery & feel free to message me if you have any questions! I remember how overwhelmed I felt about it all during most of the process.

Krista

Initial Surgical Consult 7/19/11 - Didn't need referral

Finishing requirements 7/11-8/11 Labs, Upper GI, CXR, NUT and Psych evals

2nd Surgical Consult 8/18/11

Found out my original surgeon is closing practice 9/28/11 (best thing that could have happened)

3rd Surgical Consult 9/30/11

New Surgeon consult 10/18/11 (Also when my surgery date was set)

Sent off for approval 10/18/11

Approved 10/19/11

Surgery is 12/7/11

Wow thanks!!! :) Omgosh I bet you are so excited and nervous now that you have an actual date!! Good luck and congrats!!!

Thank you! That's my diva look. lol. Good luck with your surgery & feel free to message me if you have any questions! I remember how overwhelmed I felt about it all during most of the process.

Krista

:)That's the healthy diva look!!! Thank you so much and congrats again on your achievements!!

I started my journey in April 2010 with my initial consultation with the surgeon, I had already had my 6 months supervised diet with my family practice doctor. I could have had all of this done LAST year, if I could have made up my mind to quit smoking then.

I had a sleep study in December 2010, diagnosed with Obstructive sleep Apnea. I then quit smoking in March 2011. I then had my psych eval in February 2011, and had to have 6 follow up sessions after that. Those follow up sessions took me into June when I finally got into a therapist! Every time I talked to the surgeon's office, there was something else that they were waiting on it seemed like. I finally got released from the psychologist in July 2011, then it was all sent to the insurance company in August. I got the insurance approval at the end of September. FINALLY!! Then when they asked me when I wanted to do it, I froze up lol!!

I had to do all the pre-op labs, EKG, CXR and 2 week pre-op diet also.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand on September 28, left hand on October 12, and my sleeve done on October 14. 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. But I wanted to get all of it done while I was off of work. I've lost about 27 lbs or so since 2 weeks before my 1st carpal tunnel surgery. I haven't told alot of people what exactly my stomach surgery was for, didn't figure it was anyone's business. I'm loving that I finally did something for me and my husband supports me all the way!! He works with several people who have either had the sleeve, their wives did, or the had the RNY, and he comes home with all sorts of stories for me and tips and stuff-I love it! Good luck with your journey!! :)

7/4/11-Heard about VSG. Researched procedure & surgeons for a month & called Aetna to find out coverage & requirements.

8/4/11-Picked a Surgeon & Hospital of Excellence in my area & went to Orientation. The surgeons insurance coordinator called me a few days later & confirmed my insurance requirements.

8/15/11- Started 3 month diet/exercise supervised diet (really 3 visits in 2 months) with my Primary Care Physician. Meanwhile scheduled & attended appointments with my surgeon & the psychologist & nutritionist they recommended. Did blood work and continued researching and learning.

I emailed my insurance coordinator every few weeks to verify she had been receiving my paperwork as I completed them.

10/16- I completed the "3 month" supervised diet/exercise and faxed the very last document to my insurance coordinator. She was waiting for it and submitted all my paperwork to my insurance that same day.

10/18- Approved!

Now completing all my clearances for surgery (EKG, chest X-ray etc). When done I will schedule surgery & go to pre-op appointment with surgeon & a pre-op class. Surgery very soon!

Omgosh how exciting!!!! Sounds like you did a great job researching and getting ready! Congrats on your success so far! Are u nervous at all??

I started my journey in April 2010 with my initial consultation with the surgeon, I had already had my 6 months supervised diet with my family practice doctor. I could have had all of this done LAST year, if I could have made up my mind to quit smoking then.

I had a sleep study in December 2010, diagnosed with Obstructive sleep Apnea. I then quit smoking in March 2011. I then had my psych eval in February 2011, and had to have 6 follow up sessions after that. Those follow up sessions took me into June when I finally got into a therapist! Every time I talked to the surgeon's office, there was something else that they were waiting on it seemed like. I finally got released from the psychologist in July 2011, then it was all sent to the insurance company in August. I got the insurance approval at the end of September. FINALLY!! Then when they asked me when I wanted to do it, I froze up lol!!

I had to do all the pre-op labs, EKG, CXR and 2 week pre-op diet also.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand on September 28, left hand on October 12, and my sleeve done on October 14. 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. But I wanted to get all of it done while I was off of work. I've lost about 27 lbs or so since 2 weeks before my 1st carpal tunnel surgery. I haven't told alot of people what exactly my stomach surgery was for, didn't figure it was anyone's business. I'm loving that I finally did something for me and my husband supports me all the way!! He works with several people who have either had the sleeve, their wives did, or the had the RNY, and he comes home with all sorts of stories for me and tips and stuff-I love it! Good luck with your journey!! :)

Oh wow! Good job on quitting smoking. Trying to get my husband to kick the habit. I smoked for 2 yrs back when I was like 18,then quit at 20 when I got pregs with my first. Congrats on your success,sounds awesome!!!

Omgosh how exciting!!!! Sounds like you did a great job researching and getting ready! Congrats on your success so far! Are u nervous at all??

I have butterflies in my stomach and a first ever cold sore to prove it. :)

I have butterflies in my stomach and a first ever cold sore to prove it. :)

Aw how exciting!!!! Can't wait to hear your story and see your before and after pics!!! :D