Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urinary catheter anyone?

I just met with my surgeon and he said that I will have a urinary catheter placed while I'm anesthetized. My question is, will the catheter be uncomfortable or painful when I regain consciousness? What about having it removed?

Thanks in advance!

It will only be uncomfortable when it's removed, otherwise you won't even know it's there. When they remove it, you won't feel pain, it will just be uncomfortable and kind of strange feeling.

I wouldn't worry at all about it!!!

Good Luck on your surgery! :)

If they used one one me I didn't know it. At about 9 hours recovery the nurse said if I didn't go soon they would put one in, asked for a couple of more hours and managed to get it flowing.

Sometimes when they take it out it will swell a little and the problem is they will have you on a continuous IV for fluids so if you don't go for awhile they may have to put one back in to relieve the bladder.

When I got to my room - I took off the oxygen and had my nurse remove the catheter. You just take a deep breath land its gone--no pain. I hate the oxygen tubes in nose-I can't breathe right with that fresh air coming through my nose. LOL

I was more nervous about the catheter than I was about the surgery! I believe in most cases they don't place it until you are already under anesthesia. I had been told that I might have to have it in for a little while after, but the nurse in recovery took it out shortly after I woke up. I was still groggy, but I am pretty sure I told her that she was my favorite person in the world. I didn't feel anything, but I was dealing with heavy duty pain meds.

I had a catheter placed after I was put under, and I couldnt really tell I had it in. I actually didn't mind having it because then I didn't have to get up to pee! It was nice! haha

The only uncomfortable part was when she took it out before I left the hospital, and they just have you take a deep breath and pull it out. Same deal with my drains.

Catheter cut, made me bleed when they put it/took it out n it gave me a UTI. The uti is common n they rather u get up than do the catheter but I couldn't pee so they put it in n it wasn't fun. Plus the hospital I was in is a teaching hospital n there were several interns observing the application of it after my surgery. :0/

the catheter makes me nervous aswell as I have never had one before.

I asked my surgeon if it is totally necessary, and he pretty much told me with everything I am going through the catheter should be the least of my worries. Ugh... So we will see....from what I was told in the pre-op at the hospital, they put it in while you are out....and then take it out the next day.

good luck with yours! I will find out how it goes in a week!

They put mine in after I was out in the OR and took it out after I was back in my room and would be able to walk to the bathroom. No pain at all, just a strange feeling while they took it out.

I had a catheter, they put it in while I was under and took it out the day after surgery. The only problem I had with it was I constantly felt like I had to pee (weird!!). It didn't hurt when they took it out, just felt weird.

I did not have one, and if I did it was in and out in the surgical suite cause it definitely did not come out in recovery or after... so I am assuming I did not have one. I was fine to get up when I got back to my room except that I was dizzy, but that was because of the pain meds not the surgery. Luckily with my mom there to help me they didn't find it necessary to confine me to the bed.

I was also very worried that I would have to deal with this. Not because of how it would feel but because I am an extremely modest person. Not for any religious reasons or anything, it is just how I am. I have luckily been allowed to avoid seeing the ob/gyn for another year (since I am 20... said I could wait until 21...). I was so worried about this that the actual surgery felt like a breeze to me. I was completely awake and didn't have any drugs in me when they brought me into the OR and I found it really interesting. I wasn't nervous at all once I found out I wouldn't have one.

I guess my muscles just wouldn't let me pee so I had one put it after surgery. No fun. I was awake in or right b4 surgery, too. It was interesting

If I had one, I don't remember it either. I'm very prone to UTI's so asked that a catheter not be used unless absolutely necessary. I apparently walked from my recovery bed to the hospital bed (about 3 feet) immediately after surgery and I had no issues with getting up to go potty. Well, I did have sore legs, but that's because I was trying not to use my stomach muscles.

I have had my gallbladder removed and given birth 4 times. I had a cath each time. Trust me, you want them to put it in after you are asleep and leave it in as long as possible. You don't want them taking it in and out. That is what causes the pain, tears, and infections. It is much better to have one after surgery anyway. The chances of you falling while on pain meds is lessened greatly if you are not having to get up to pee.