Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you've told about your sleeve?

I tell everyone. But I can see some people just struggling, and I wish they had the $ to do the surgery. I know how many times I was there with them saying...I have got to stop eating. I couldn't stop. I needed this to stop. So for those I hope they get it together themselves. It is possible I did it once and got a back injury which resulted in my gaining the weight back. If I didn't have the back injury I am certain I would still be thin or thinner. But once you are so far gone you just kind of give up and with an injury I am certain it would be hard to maintain such a low calorie diet. This is like a jump start, but EVERYONE needs a jump start in whatever form it may come.

Before surgery I told family, friends and coworkers. After surgery, I get asked a lot about my weightloss because I work with the public & seem the same families very regularly. I tell everyone who asks how I lost the weight that I had this surgery (and eat high Protein & hit the gym). I hope that it helps someone else, the way a coworker being open helped me.

Krista

Before surgery I told family, friends and coworkers. After surgery, I get asked a lot about my weightloss because I work with the public & seem the same families very regularly. I tell everyone who asks how I lost the weight that I had this surgery (and eat high Protein & hit the gym). I hope that it helps someone else, the way a coworker being open helped me.

Krista

I am so glad that you wrote this Krista. I tell everyone I can. I don't feel like I have anything to be ashamed of other than my weight had gotten out of control and that was obvious to everyone who knew me. I told the gals at the Dr's office that I feel like a poster child for the surgery. It has saved my life and given me so much back. I feel like if people know how easy the whole process is they will be more willing to check it out. I agree that it is not for everyone but I also think that it is the solution to so many of my weight concerns. I still have a long way to go but already it has made a major difference in my life. I could not be any happier with my decision to have this surgery. I thank God every day for this opportunity for a new lease on life at my age of 63.

Ladies I could not agree with you more. I too tell everyone who asks me how I have lost the weight. I feel stronger when I can come out and tell my friends and family about the surgery. I did this surgery to improve my life. To improve my attitude on life. I want to help allllll those sleevers who are just starting out who are in the middle like myself and those who are sitting on the fence. This is the best thing I've ever done for Myself. Thanks for writing your personal stories.

Pretty much everyone that knows me knows I had surgery, including at least a couple hundred of my clients. Not one person has been negative.

But...I didn't tell any family (except hubby). They all live 2000 miles away, in large part because they are never supportive of anything I do, and I just plain felt like it was none of their business, as is most of my life.

I started out telling my family, including my in-laws and very few friends, but as it turned out, I've told more people. There ARE people I haven't told, and I feel a little guilty because I think they could benefit from this surgery.....maybe later. Believe it or not, WLS is practically a status symbol in Texas....but it is Texas! =) I'd say 99% of the folks I've told are supportive....many want details because I think it is something they might do. The couple that were not my cheerleaders may feel threatened or envious, who knows. It's always nice to not be the biggest in the room, or at least have someone your size, that's possible I suppose. Now I am normally the smallest one in the room - not counting the teenagers! What a switch!!

I have only told ONE person and that is my husband! I probably will tell my mom when I see her next month (haven't seen her in 3 years).

I think people are very narrow minded and very ignorant about WLS, therefore, I didn't want to hear negative comments about what I was doing. That is why I chose not to tell. Now that I am 2lbs from goal and healthier than I have ever been in my entire life, I really don't see how they can shoot me down! LOL

Kelly :)

My family all know and all my friends I see weekly know. Anyone who has asked how I have lost weight also knows.