Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Would you have the VSG again?? Yes No and why

I would absolutely do this again. I haven't had any problems, and I am seeing steady (if slow sometimes) weight loss. I have so much more energy, and I feel so much better about myself. Best of all, I no longer have problems with my ankle (I have severe degenerative arthritis in my ankle). Before, it was swelling up and quite painful after even a little bit of walking. I haven't had to take my medication for it and it doesn't swell up anymore.

I could not lose the weight on my own. I love that it gives me the tools I need to be successful with weight loss but still lets me eat "normally" if smaller portions. Yesterday, I bought a couple of candy bars for a fundraiser. I opened one and took one piece of it. My mother-in-law instantly questioned whether I was allowed to eat that. I said I could. I ate the piece and wrapped the rest of the candy bar back up. I haven't had any more of the candy, but I like that I can if I want.

YES!!!!!! Over again and again and again. I would not change a thing. The sleeve is an awesome tool!!!! This has allowed me to have soooo much energy and I have my health back!!! I am no longer short of breath when walking short distances. I can now fit comfortably in my little Eclipse. :) I have my self esteem back as well. I have always struggled with my weight. When I was married to my second husband I lost over 100 pounds. Only to gain it back due to my marriage ending in divorce. So now I am in complete control of my health. My husband is totally supportive of my accomplishments! I couldn't have asked for a better coach, cheerleader in my weight loss journey. He has been there for me when I get those ugly, nasty stalls. So YES, YES, YES I would do it again!!!!! :) :)

Deb

Yes, yes, a 100 times yes. I am down 99 pounds in almost 8 months. I am off of all cholesterol meds, 75% of blood pressure meds, cured of sleep apnea, and my joints don't hurt like they used to. My doctor is not saying things to me like "when you have a heart attack" anymore. I have a good chance of living to see my grandchildren grow up and maybe live to retirement. I am enjoying life a lot more than 8 months ago.

Unfortunately I would NEVER put my body through this ever again. That said, I had some terrible complications. I ended up with a leak, a near fatal post surgical infection and an IV 24/7 that is still attached to me and probably will be for the next two months. I get sick all the time, have no energy and generally feel like crap and that is on a good day. I know every surgery has its risks but I never thought this would happen to me. Yes I have lost weight, but I think I would have rather stayed chubby than fight this nasty fight.

I know a lot of people have had great success with this surgery and I am so happy for them. If you are considering this surgery, please just know, if you have any complications, it is bloody awful.

I am so sorry to hear how you are doing. It sounds just terrible. I will be praying for you. Thanks for your post!!!

I would like to thank everyone who wrote about their surgery! I am getting sleeved Nov. 28 and I really enjoyed reading everyone's post. The majority are doing fabulous! I am also sad to hear about the people that are not having an easy time. I am glad you all have reponded to the Poll. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would I do it again? Good question, i love that i have a normal BMI, that I can do normal things again. That i fit into small spaces and small plane seats and that the seat belt actually has more left over belt then not. . . that i can ride horses again and so on. . . would i do it again. . . I'm not sure. It was very expensive and some of the side effects are interesting. I haven't had any major problems, just little minor ones. . . nothing to bring me to the doctor. But i couldn't have done it on my own either and i know that . . . i don't know the answer here . . .

Yes. 79 lbs down in nine months and I'm not hungry anymore!!!

OMG! Yes! aside from the obvious health benefits, I don't want to be hungry everyday! I have spent SO MUCH of my life hungry, staying at 1600, 1800, 1200 calories a day!

My surgery date is 01/04/2012...

Yes yes yes a million times over! This is the most wonderful thing that has happened other than my children.

Without hesitation, yes. I'm a week shy of 3 months, but I'm down over 120 lbs overall. My quality of life has already changed so much and it only promises to get better. Life is turning back into what life is supposed to be... a game not viewed from the sidelines.

You better believe I'd do it again... and again... and again... AND again!! I have never in my life known what it's like to have true freedom from food. I'm a real addict in every sense. The sleeve has taken away my real hunger, snuffed the head hunger most of the time (except TOM) but when head hunger does strike, I cannot eat nearly as much as I could before my sleeve.

I can't eat a lot of sugar, fat or snacky type foods because it makes me sick. I cannot eat more than about .75 cups of food because if I do I'm sorry for the rest of the night. I don't feel hungry an hour after eating. I'm really satisfied after eating my small portion - I believe even more than I was pre sleeve. I was never feeling like I could get enough. Well now with my full signal I just push my plate away and I'm done. Even if there is only one bite left. I can't count how many times I've left one bite on my plate... LOL that would've NEVER happened before. I can basically eat anything I want, just not how much.

I'm MUCH happier being able to be confident and happy with what I see in the mirror. It's great knowing I can go into any clothing store and fit the clothes in it. I can dress up, dress down any time I want without feeling like I'm limited to the tiny boutiques that all seem to sell the same style clothing. I can wear cute boots this winter with confidence they'll fit on my legs. I get called skinny all the time, and I admit I like it. I can wear tights or leggings and show most of my legs and not feel self conscious and wonder if people are thinking "oh she shouldn't be wearing that!!"...

Though my marriage and my Hubby has always been great, loved me at any size I can see him admiring me more. Truthfully, I'm the largest woman he'd ever been with by far. He's always been attracted to thinner women (not sure why he chose me, but whatever! AND we got together I was already large) well now that I'm small he can't seem to get enough of me. LOL smile.png Life's sure a lot better for me now than a year ago.

So, that and a million more reasons is why absolutely yes without a doubt I'd do it again.

Yes, I definately would do this again! I am down 52 pounds in 4 months. I feel so much better and I think the thing for me is feeling so full on so little. I am one of those people that likes the full feeling and I dont feel like I have had enough until I feel it, sometimes overdoing it- presurgery. Now, I can eat my tiny portion, get the same feeling I love and loose the weight too. I dont overdo it though because I dont like to puke and dont want to ever do it. I stay away from bread and Pasta because i have heard it can make people throw up and I dont like bread enough to chance that. I said from the beginning... no puking! So far so good. When I get the full feeling, I stop. I am also learning to stop just before it so I am not miserably full. I listen to my body now and I never did before.

I am so happy with my sleeve, I would do it a hundred times over! I am trying to talk my sister into having it!

I am 4 months post-op, and yes, I would do it again. I have lost over 50 lbs and I'm less than 30 lbs away from my goal.

My only regret is that I can only safely eat yogurt, Soup, and drink Protein drinks. I can't seem to eat normal food without getting sick and throwing up a lot of the time. It does make eating rather boring, but I guess that can be a good thing. I don't care for eating anymore, and I sometimes forget to eat most of the day. Considering how before surgery I would graze all day long and have no idea what my caloric intake was, I guess this is a better alternative.

Yes. Absolutely. My only regret is not doing it earlier...but that's Water under the bridge. I love that I can appreciate my second chance knowing what I'd almost lost, making life all the more sweeter.

Right now I keep burping non stop since I just ate. It happens all the time now. I was thinking earlier that I shouldn't have done this. I worry what will happen to me 10 -20 years from now.. will I have good health? I'm flip flopping a lot here. I am losing lots of weight faster than ever but I get fears from time to time.