Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I'm 31 w/ a 13yo, 9yo, 3yo, & 21mth old; I'm in the process of going thru my Life Skills class and Nutrition Classes and scheduling my surgery for July. My 2 older kids I explained what I was doing and what would happen. They were worried at first and explained they loved me just the way I was. But after I explained it would make me healthier they were ok, but my 13yo wants to stay home with me while I heal from surgery and help me.

Just noticed that the thirties forum isn't used very often. I would love to get to know more people here. I am a 31 year old female that is preparing for surgery. I don't have a date yet' date=' but just finished my last step so it should be soon. I have a 7 year old son and am concerned as to how he is going to react to the surgery. Do any of you have young children? How did they handle it?[/quote']

Hi I'm 32 years old, I have 2 boys ages 8 & 12, they sat with me in the seminar. When the seminar was over they asked me questions, my oldest straight up said, ma I don't want u to do it. I had to explain to him why I want to do it & what are the benefits of me loosing weight, he was kinda excepting to it. My husband is a different story, he doesn't approve of it at all & honestly I think he doesn't think I'm gonna do it.

I'm Sara, I'm 36 and have four children : 2 boys, 2 girls ages 18, 15, 13, & 10. I haven't told my kids at all, and I don't think I will because they're such blabber mouths. I don't need the world to know I've had WLS. At first I wanted to lose weight for my vanity. Now I need to lose weight for my health. Id be so happy to have "normal" knees!

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

I am 33 and I have three children, 2 girls, ages 16 and 7 and a boy age 9. I was sleeved on 6/11/12. I was very honest with my kids from the beginning...in fact, I even asked there opinions and had them help me make my pro and con list...they were still coming up with pro's two weeks later, lol...everytime they would see a commercial about like a sport or something, my little one would say, "hey mom, you'll be able to do that when you lose weight". And now, after surgery, they are always asking me if I can have this food or that food, and my son will ask me if I want to taste something, and my youngest daughter will check him, like "brother, mom can't have that stuff yet" I love it! Plus they are always concerned about me, asking if I'm okay, or if I need anything. I love them sooooo much, I am so glad I was honest with them from the beginning - I would hate to undergo this process without them.

Sara, Maybe you could tell your children that this is a personal and private matter, only to be discussed at home with the family. Not sure if that will work with your's but it definately does with mine, we have mutual respect that way. However, I have been completely open and honest about the surgery with everyone that crosses my path...I am an open book!

Labubakari, I feel ya, my husband was not okay with me having the VSG, but I went ahead and did it anyway - it's practically the first thing I have ever done for me! Things have been a little different between us since, but I do believe we will bounce back...I just keep telling him to wait until I can buy something from Victoria Secret, then he'll be happy!!! He seems to be coming around little by little each day.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi I'm 37 with an 11yo and 8 yo. I have only told 4 people and my children would blab. I am not telling them because they will worry and tell everyone. My story is I am eating healthy and I am having a cyst removed (I have a history). My surgery is 8-8-12!

Hey everyone

My name is Tara and I am 30 years old. I have 3 kids. They are 8,6 and 2. I have been completely honest with my kids. They started asking questions when mommy had so many appointments. At that point I told them how I have a problem with over eating and I am trying my best to become healthy. I told them I would have surgery that would remove part of my stomach and drew them a picture. I told them it was a tool to help me not eat too much food and make better choices. They seem to understand. I did not have worry about them blabbing to people because everyone in my life already knows.

Tara