Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss Finish Line?

When I hit the 50 lbs mark my hair started falling out in handfuls. I started taking Biotin 5000 mg a day - was already taking Iron and multi. I have been getting in enough Protein. I have been on the Biotin about one month now. hair is still falling out in handfulls but maybe 15 strands and not 50........yes I freaked out too. I have alot of hair so no bald spots yet. Tub has hair all over when I get out.....gross....bathroom floor too....booo....but seems to be getting a little better (just have to stick in there is what everyone keeps saying)

BTW ...biotin is making hair grow like CRAZY on my legs and underarms....just thought I would mention in case anyone has any facial hair problems might not want to go there?

Is the Hair loss similar to post partum hair loss, if you have had kids?

When I hit the 50 lbs mark my hair started falling out in handfuls. I started taking Biotin 5000 mg a day - was already taking Iron and multi. I have been getting in enough Protein. I have been on the Biotin about one month now. hair is still falling out in handfulls but maybe 15 strands and not 50........yes I freaked out too. I have alot of hair so no bald spots yet. Tub has hair all over when I get out.....gross....bathroom floor too....booo....but seems to be getting a little better (just have to stick in there is what everyone keeps saying)

BTW ...biotin is making hair grow like CRAZY on my legs and underarms....just thought I would mention in case anyone has any facial hair problems might not want to go there?

Biotin is doing the same thing to me!! Not my legs, but my eyebrows! I have to tweeze every other day. My sister said she is getting hair by her lip line since using biotin. I wish we could direct it to go to our heads!

Wow.... That thing about Biotin having ALL hair grow is not good. I am having laser hair removal on my underarms !!!.

I decided to cut my hair today, really short. Not so bad, i figure the shorther it is the less tangled and less it will fall out. I am counting ythe days until the Biotin, Protein shake and nioxin to kick inn and me to get great healthy hair !!.

Ale

This is driving me crazy too. KellyL and I had our sleeves the same day and I am going to get my hair cut tomorrow because I feel like I am having permanently bad hair days. My hair used to be quite thick and now it is probably on par with many normal women who do not have gobs of hair, and I would be ok if I knew it was going to stop at this point, but I am still seeing the handfuls of hair. I like the idea of brushing hair outside, it is depressing to see all the hair on the floor, sink, bed, etc. My hair texture has also changed. It is no longer wavy, but stick straight and feels a lot 'greasier' than it used to be. Probably because I don't have as much hair to suck up all the scalp oils or whatever. Here's hoping I can come back around January and talk about how it stopped falling out and I noticed some new growth.

Otherwise, I am super happy with my sleeve and my loss. 75 pounds!! I am super excited!

Wow.... That thing about Biotin having ALL hair grow is not good. I am having laser hair removal on my underarms !!!.

I decided to cut my hair today, really short. Not so bad, i figure the shorther it is the less tangled and less it will fall out. I am counting ythe days until the Biotin, Protein shake and nioxin to kick inn and me to get great healthy hair !!.

Ale

Ale, I decided today to cut my hair to my shoulders (myself) from the middle of my back :0/ u r right it will b easier to manage. It'll b like a fresh new start, too. :0) the sad part is I just spent 340$ on permanent hair straightening last week. But I rather not lose my hair more by it being long n tangled ;0)

Btw, whoever does laser hair removal... I did it, n it comes back a little several yrs later :0/ just an FYI.

My hair texture has also changed. It is no longer wavy, but stick straight and feels a lot 'greasier' than it used to be. Probably because I don't have as much hair to suck up all the scalp oils or whatever.

So weird how different bodies react. My hair is super thin now too, but it's gone much curlier and drier than it used to be. :huh:

sorry to throw a wrench into the cog, but i'm 2 years out and still losing lots of hair every day. . I really should post a picture of this. My hair is thin, but heck so am I!!!! and to me that is more important right now. Hahahah, at least my hair goes with my body and doesn't "weigh" me down! Gotta see the good with the bad. . . good luck

I had my VSG on Sept 24 ... I started using a sulfate free Shampoo prior to then, and am wondering if anyone is using a sulfate free shampoo and if that helped w/the hair loss ... I'm really hoping I don't have major Hair loss, but am prepared to go through what everyone else is saying happens ... ughhh ...

pls. advise. thanks!

RG

I had my WLS on April 19th of this year. I have lost a little hair, but nothing I can't hide. (Thank goodness, because I have thin hair to begin with) I was wondering if there is a safe time or a time that we can stop worrying about hair loss. As I approach my 6 mos. date, I'm getting hopeful that the worst of the hair loss my be over. Is this premature? Thanks for your imput.

I was only losing strands here and there at about 3 months out, and now, 6 months out, I'm losing it like crazy. However, upping my Protein has helped. I don't think I was getting enough.

Well......its been 2 months since i started to go crazy about my hair loss, started at month 3. i THINK it has started to get better.....

Its still falling but, it started at 10 being really really bad at month 3, month 4 is now an 8. Less air when i shower and little less hair during the day.

Im taking 5000mg a day of Biotin

400ml of a Protein shake a day for a month now

Using nioxin for about 3 wks

And my dr just gave zentrium Vitamins yesterday to help.

Lets hope we all get great new back along with our great new shape !!

Ale

Wow! I have to say these are the scariest posts I have read yet! lol. My doctors have only mentioned Hair loss once but said that as long as we take our Vitamins and make sure we get enough Protein, it wouldn't be a big deal. Now I'm starting to think other wise. My hair has always been on the thin side, and it is quite long. I guess I wouldn't freak out if I lose some hair, I just dont want it to be obvious to other people or to cause bald spots! Scary!!

I am a slow loser too but still lost hair by the hand full’s started around 3-4 months been taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin per day and my loss has slowed tremendously!! Or mabey it’s just that now I am 6 months its stopping, either way I am glad to be over it !

I hate to admit this but I have at least half my hair gone!!!! Maybe more. I started losing right away and still losing it: in the shower, when drying it, when brushing/styling even JUST STANDING THERE! It comes out like crazy! I take Biotin, vitamines, get down repulsive shakes -- even after they come back up.

I love what someone posted above: my hair is thin, but at least I am too! LOL At this point I am just hoping I could hold on to a few strands to hang my dang extensions on!!!!

Just want to update. I went to a real salon for the first time in many years and the stylist showed me all the new growth on my head!!!!

She trimmed off a lot of damaged hair and I started using a leave in conditioner to help.

There is hope at the end of the rainbow everyone just hang on!