Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hopefully surgery in January 2012

My name is Deb, I'm 5'2" and 250 lbs now, was 275, about 5 months ago. I have had a hard time maintaining a 'normal' weight, all my life. Two years ago, I started the process for bariatric surgery. Due to trouble affording co-pays and sleeve gastrectomy not being offered in my area, I did not have surgery. Now, sleeve is being done, insurance may not readily approve, but my surgeon sees that I have researched and am making an informed decision. I feel that a sleeve is the least risky. He is going to push the insurance to cover it, as I do have severe ulcerative colitis, under control with medication. He is going to say that there is a possibility, in the future, of having part of my colon removed, so bypass would be too risky. I have been eating healthier and losing weight, but really need the surgery as a boost to my progress, and help make the weight loss permanent. Looking through before/after pics brings tears to my eyes, thinking that will be me!! I can't wait to get back my energy, self confidence and the positive outgoing personality change that comes when I am thin.

Oh my gosh!!!!!! We r the same!!! I have bad ulcerative colitis. My GI thinks this will help cure it. I am 5.3 and 252. I just got approved this past wk. I get sleeved on the 28th. I can't wait for the same outcome as u hope for.

Wow, only a few days ago?? How do you feel??

Oh my gosh!!!!!! We r the same!!! I have bad ulcerative colitis. My GI thinks this will help cure it. I am 5.3 and 252. I just got approved this past wk. I get sleeved on the 28th. I can't wait for the same outcome as u hope for.

No OCt 28th ;0)

Oh, OK, keep me posted on how you are doing. I am so ready to lose this weight once and for all, that I am actually excited about going for surgery!! Do you have to do a special pre-op diet?

No OCt 28th ;0)

Yes I have to do two weeks or ten days of the Protein Shakes six times a day with veggies if I want. I think this is more to prep me for after. I bought a pill crusher already for my UC meds for after. To answer your other question: the surgery according to my GI should help the UC symptoms by giving me a better diet and losing the weight will ease my stress/anxiety/depression which will reduce flair ups. I have to b extra careful cuz my disease is at the very end of my colon and I cannot remove that ever. I am going into this surgery with a flair up as we speak. I hope I don't become anemic and the surgery does indeed reduce future flair ups. The insurance approved me also purely based on GI notes documenting the correlation of UC and VGS being the possible cure. ;0)

Since my bmi is 40, my dr does a 2 week preop diet. 2 Meal Replacements per day with one regular meal each day of baked or grilled meat & green leafy vegetables with oi % vinegar dressing. Keeing carbs low to shrink size of the liver before surgery. If your bmi is higher then liquid diet only for 2 weeks. The liver grows larger the more overweight you are & the surgeon needs it out of the way for surgery to prevent damaging it and causing excessive bleeding internally.

I start the preop diet in two weeks n I'll let u know how it goes. Will you have to do one, as well?

I just got the call, surgery on January 23, 2012!! Start Pre-op diet January 8, 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal.

Now I just hope there are no snowstorms that get in the way. Been experimenting with Protein Shakes, I really LOVE the EAS AdvantEdge carb control RTD. So I'm stocking up on that and some unflavored powder to mix with Crystal Light during the post surgery clear phase.

Skinny me, Here I come, to stay!!

Congrats Debs. Jan 23rd will get here before you know it. It seems we have the same tastes in drinks. I was just sleeved 8 days ago and I'm already addicted big time to the EAS Advantedge RTDs and Crystal Light. Best of luck through your adventure. It's still early but I already believe it's the best thing I could've ever done for myself.

Only 8 days out, AV80RnTX, How are you feeling?

I was one of the VERY fortunate ones. My surgery was Monday (Oct 31) and by Thursday (Nov 3), I was back at work and pretty much back to 100% (I work from home so it's a lot easier for me). I didn't need any pain meds in the hospital or at home and only felt a bit of nausea for a day after I got home. I just got back from having my staples removed and the doc said I'm doing great....my incisions are almost entirely healed already.

I feel great. Not feeling ANY real hunger (only a little 'head hunger') is a feeling that I'm not sure can be described accurately....you'll know what I mean after your surgery. But it's also a great feeling too.