Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated with a captial F

So, as you know via another thread, I am currently suffering with a thigh injury. Been to docs again who sent me for x-rays as they aren't sure where the problem is; back? hip? pelvis? muscle? etc.

I've been on pain meds and anti inflammatory tabs for a week and pretty immobile for 9 days. The pain has subsided now and I have more mobility, less shuffling around and I can lift my leg again. Both my doc and my osteopath have told me to rest and not do much and, for once in my life, I have taken their advice and am starting to feel a little better... until this morning.

I weighed! OMG... I have put on 7lbs. I was bouncing between 168 -170... but this morning it was up to 175lb! I nearly cried - actually I did cry. I know this a complete over reaction but on top of the pain and stress, I feel like I have been knocked down again.

I feared this when the trouble started and I have been so vigilant with my food intake, started to log again and I am eating between 850 - 1100 cals a day... good with the Protein and carbs are between 30-50g coming from veggies and some wholemeal bread - I use a little to take my anti inflammatories with as it is easier on my sleeve! My Water consumption is good and, once again, I am ticking all the boxes.

How the hell has this happened? Just when I get into the groove again, and feel postive my body fights back and I gain!

I have to say, right at this moment in time I am suffering with the 'why me syndrome'... my poor husband doesn't know what to do when I get upset and neither of us have any answers.

I am hoping that it is the meds that is doing it... but really?? Since last weigh day - Sat - I have put on nearly a pound a day FFS!! I realise that I haven't burnt as many cals as normal cos I a, resting but even so my BMR is 1400 so I am at least 300 cals a day below it. I have phoned my surgeon but no one has got back to me...

I really am at a loss here... I am thinking about going back to liquids while I am resting???

What do I do? Please, any words of advice are much needed now... SOS from across the pond xx

So, as you know via another thread, I am currently suffering with a thigh injury. Been to docs again who sent me for x-rays as they aren't sure where the problem is; back? hip? pelvis? muscle? etc.

I've been on pain meds and anti inflammatory tabs for a week and pretty immobile for 9 days. The pain has subsided now and I have more mobility, less shuffling around and I can lift my leg again. Both my doc and my osteopath have told me to rest and not do much and, for once in my life, I have taken their advice and am starting to feel a little better... until this morning.

I weighed! OMG... I have put on 7lbs. I was bouncing between 168 -170... but this morning it was up to 175lb! I nearly cried - actually I did cry. I know this a complete over reaction but on top of the pain and stress, I feel like I have been knocked down again.

I feared this when the trouble started and I have been so vigilant with my food intake, started to log again and I am eating between 850 - 1100 cals a day... good with the Protein and carbs are between 30-50g coming from veggies and some wholemeal bread - I use a little to take my anti inflammatories with as it is easier on my sleeve! My Water consumption is good and, once again, I am ticking all the boxes.

How the hell has this happened? Just when I get into the groove again, and feel postive my body fights back and I gain!

I have to say, right at this moment in time I am suffering with the 'why me syndrome'... my poor husband doesn't know what to do when I get upset and neither of us have any answers.

I am hoping that it is the meds that is doing it... but really?? Since last weigh day - Sat - I have put on nearly a pound a day FFS!! I realise that I haven't burnt as many cals as normal cos I a, resting but even so my BMR is 1400 so I am at least 300 cals a day below it. I have phoned my surgeon but no one has got back to me...

I really am at a loss here... I am thinking about going back to liquids while I am resting???

What do I do? Please, any words of advice are much needed now... SOS from across the pond xx

My dear friend Coops, I feel your pain and frustration. I don't know what to say other then maybe get rid of the scale for a while and don't weigh right now. Your doing everything right, increase the Water and the Proteins, lower the carbs. maybe a bit of at home exercises, easy and light like ladies pushups, side bends, situps, etc. . . just nothing too rough. . . don't beat your self up honey, look where you have come from. . . you have done wonderfully! You have a wonderful tool to help you, i can really really tell you that you will never get back to how you were. . . you may gain a few pounds during your down and out period, but girl once your healed and better, you can kick that demon in the behind and get back to normal. Don't fret so much right now, just put the scale away ok. . don't weigh for a bit. . can you do that? Don't weigh at least for 2 weeks after you recoup and have been back in the game ok? Just some advice from me. . . good luck!

Coops - there is no way you gained a pound a day through what you are eating. It has to be the medicine. I think your body is responding to the trauma (injury) it has sustained, too, and you may be retaining some of the Fluid you are drinking. How about being particularly nice to yourself and put the scale away until your injury is healed, you are off the medicine, and you are back to exercising? Your measure of success could be your food journal and your tape measure. Continue to do what you are doing - you are doing the right things. That should be your "yardstick". Don't be ruled by the damn mechanical / electronic device! You are going through enough aggrivation to willingly dump more on yourself.

Good luck to you. I hope your injury heals quickly.

It's the medicine!!!! Please please please put the scale away for a little while. Pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds will do that. As soon as everything goes back to normal those 7 pounds will go away. You are doing everything right so just be patient with your body. It is in "freak out" mode again but it will go back to normal. Chin up!

And also, our lymphatic system kicks in when we have an injury... I'm willing to bet it's just some Fluid retention... You're doing great missy!! REST!!!

I totally agree with the very smart posters who've already said it's the meds and the Water retention. And you should be super nice to yourself when you're having that kind of pain, sweetie. {{{Hugs}}}

I don't have any advice other than that given you by all the previous posters, but want you to know that many of us are rooting for you and sending positive thoughts your way. I especially hope your pain continues to lessen and you are feeling much better very soon!

It's the medicine!!!! Please please please put the scale away for a little while. Pain meds and anti-inflammatory meds will do that. As soon as everything goes back to normal those 7 pounds will go away. You are doing everything right so just be patient with your body. It is in "freak out" mode again but it will go back to normal. Chin up!

I agree!!!! It's the medicine!!!

I just want to send you a BIG HUG and remind you of how far you have come! YOU ARE AWESOME LADY! Don't ever forget it! :)

Thank you all for your kind words; I think that is what I needed.

I have had a really shi**ty couple of days and coming on here really helps, especially when I get such quality replies. I really do hope it is the meds and Fluid... we are currently having a strange autumn here in Wales, temps are high and the sun is blazing and I am feeling my ankles swell - for the first time since my sleeve - so hopefully part of the weight is Water.

I will continue to do what I do... and hopefully reap the rewards once I am sorted.

I am doing some dumbell exercises as I sit and watch TV... can't do anything lower body yet; I am not even allowed to put the hoover around, or drive my car! Poor old hubby has tp do everything at least for another couple of days and he is coming to the end of his recovery - he had major knee surgery in May and has a terrible time over the summer.

I suppose to put a Cooper slant on the situation, it must be quite amusing watching the two of us hobble around!!

Thanks again, my sleeve friends, somehow you made me smile xx

Isn't it a damn shame that we put so much self value into a number!? I do it too at times. I want you to sit down (sounds like you are already doing that...) and give your body a nice talking to....Be kind, and loving to it... it has done so much for you through the years and needs some TLC right now. Tell it that if it needs to swell up a bit and gain some weight, thats OK, that you know it will go back as soon as its ready. The meds are necessary for your healing process. Soon you will be healed and you can ditch the meds and get back on your pre injury track. Lay a love bomb on yourself! Its all part of the roller coaster ride! Huggs.

Oh sweety, I didnt know you are suffering from thigh injury.. I hope u feel so better soon.

HUGS!

On another Note, I would like to point out something familiar. I started running again this month.. I havent been running since I had my surgery, I completed a week of my running schedule, Then I beated myself the next day going to a crazy 7 K which is 2 K above my normal That week I lost around 4 pounds- DOnt worry the story lead to something lol- Then next day I was making excuses and I didnt go to the gym, Went out and had dinner ( beef tenderloin) like 2.5 Oz .. Next morning weighed in as 1 pound heavier.. I said may be Water, next day I didnt make any excuses but I was sooo busy I didnt exercise at all, next day I gained another 1.5 pounds! and I was following my water/food plan religiously.. the next day I gained another pound! I WAS Staring at my pc feeling like such a failure and soo tired but insisted on going down to the gym.. next day I lost 0.5 pounds.

The moral of the boring story, that some bodies react weirdly when they are deprived of their only reason of losing weight, our bodies are fighting darn hard to not lose those little few left pounds, so they try to find an excuse as well. When we fight back with extra exercise they find no choice but give up and lose it.

So MANY factors contributed to the "illusionary gain" u are experiencing..

Exercise which is out of ur hand

MEDS! they are evil!!! especially the ones for bones!! I know a name of a substance that is used in such meds (cortizon or Kortizon) which is capable of retaining A HELL A LOT OF WATER weight!!

SO dont beat urself up, stay faithful to ur eating plan which is ur only help now, dont go for liquids, it will put u in a worse mood that u are already in. and I AM SURE no gain is coming ur way!! and water water my friend!!

hope I made sense:)

FEEEEL SOOO WELL SOON HONEY XOXOXOXOX

Oh sweety, I didnt know you are suffering from thigh injury.. I hope u feel so better soon.

HUGS!

On another Note, I would like to point out something familiar. I started running again this month.. I havent been running since I had my surgery, I completed a week of my running schedule, Then I beated myself the next day going to a crazy 7 K which is 2 K above my normal That week I lost around 4 pounds- DOnt worry the story lead to something lol- Then next day I was making excuses and I didnt go to the gym, Went out and had dinner ( beef tenderloin) like 2.5 Oz .. Next morning weighed in as 1 pound heavier.. I said may be Water, next day I didnt make any excuses but I was sooo busy I didnt exercise at all, next day I gained another 1.5 pounds! and I was following my water/food plan religiously.. the next day I gained another pound! I WAS Staring at my pc feeling like such a failure and soo tired but insisted on going down to the gym.. next day I lost 0.5 pounds.

The moral of the boring story, that some bodies react weirdly when they are deprived of their only reason of losing weight, our bodies are fighting darn hard to not lose those little few left pounds, so they try to find an excuse as well. When we fight back with extra exercise they find no choice but give up and lose it.

So MANY factors contributed to the "illusionary gain" u are experiencing..

Exercise which is out of ur hand

MEDS! they are evil!!! especially the ones for bones!! I know a name of a substance that is used in such meds (cortizon or Kortizon) which is capable of retaining A HELL A LOT OF Water weight!!

SO dont beat urself up, stay faithful to ur eating plan which is ur only help now, dont go for liquids, it will put u in a worse mood that u are already in. and I AM SURE no gain is coming ur way!! and water water my friend!!

hope I made sense:)

FEEEEL SOOO WELL SOON HONEY XOXOXOXOX

Hey Lou,

of course you make sense... you always do! Thank you for your kind words and experience... I understand what you mean... it is frustrating! At the moment, I am just following doc's orders and resting as much as I can. Tracking my food is helping me feel like I have a little control over the situation and keeping me focused 'cos with my current state of mind it would be easy for me to start to eat crap and snack! We just gotta keep on plodding.

You are sounding more upbeat though, and 7k is amazing... well done my lovely!! keep up the good work xx

Awwww dangit Coops, I have to be 100% honest I would have been CRYING too! For pete's sake...that amount of gain is ridiculous...it HAS to be water/medicine/body reactionary because it's not what you are eating. I am just sending you big hugs ...I can TOTALLY understand how you feel because I would be feeling the exact same way if it was me.

On a little side note, my mom was helping at a friends wedding in June of this year, someone left the dishwasher lid down and she scraped her leg against it. Went home, put on some neosporin, and a bandaid and continued with life. Then a few days later went to her Water aerobics class as usual and then the major trouble started. She ended up with a badly infected leg...the tiny scrape which actually healed nicely had allowed some sort of infection into her body and her whole leg was basically useless for 2 months. She went through 3 rounds of antibiotics, 2 ultrasounds to rule out clots, and basically was mostly immoble for a good chunk of her summer. It was awful for her. I'm not saying this to scare you or to insinuate that your leg deal is anything like hers, but she basically came out of the experience saying she would never again take for granted that she could WALK. It was heartbreaking. She is 100% better now but came out feeling like she had lost -2 months of her life, laying on the couch. :(

I am sending a little prayer out for you that the worst of your ordeal is over and that when your leg is healed, and the pain is gone the weight will be too. Hugs! :heart:

I am praying for u here to be feeling a lot better soon sweety. I am keeping my spirit high with all the downs am facing, It is like trying hitting a wall and getting injured and stuck everytime but still I smile and say its okay, and remind myself where I came from. I am sorry for the hard time u are having but ur mood wellness is all that matter now, try cheering urself up and reminding urself of the road u have been conquering.. I have been hoovering at the same weight range since our last talk and I learned that stressing about the mini gains and almost regular stalls will deprive me of celebrating the new person I have become and It will do nothing but shadow my new body with my old one.

THIS TOO WILL PASS!! much love and hugs XO

Awwww dangit Coops, I have to be 100% honest I would have been CRYING too! For pete's sake...that amount of gain is ridiculous...it HAS to be water/medicine/body reactionary because it's not what you are eating. I am just sending you big hugs ...I can TOTALLY understand how you feel because I would be feeling the exact same way if it was me.

On a little side note, my mom was helping at a friends wedding in June of this year, someone left the dishwasher lid down and she scraped her leg against it. Went home, put on some neosporin, and a bandaid and continued with life. Then a few days later went to her Water aerobics class as usual and then the major trouble started. She ended up with a badly infected leg...the tiny scrape which actually healed nicely had allowed some sort of infection into her body and her whole leg was basically useless for 2 months. She went through 3 rounds of antibiotics, 2 ultrasounds to rule out clots, and basically was mostly immoble for a good chunk of her summer. It was awful for her. I'm not saying this to scare you or to insinuate that your leg deal is anything like hers, but she basically came out of the experience saying she would never again take for granted that she could WALK. It was heartbreaking. She is 100% better now but came out feeling like she had lost -2 months of her life, laying on the couch. :(

I am sending a little prayer out for you that the worst of your ordeal is over and that when your leg is healed, and the pain is gone the weight will be too. Hugs! :heart:

Hey M2G...

I had a feeling that if you read this you would get it... we seem to be on the same page!! Yea, frustrating it is, but the rest is helping and I am walking better now. I get an ache in the hip area, but no pain... that is a massive relief too... but I am still so very tired.

God your poor mam, she certainly went through the mill... and her story about losing a chunk of her life reflects what my hubby is saying now... he was literally laid up from 26th May 'til the start of Sept, in a cast and brace... crutches etc. I have watched him struggle, cope, struggle cope and the cycle that goes with it. It has broken my heart to watch such a strong and handsome man be in so much pain and feel utterly useless... horrible to see our loved ones like that isn't it. He is better now, just a little limp and is hoping to return to work end of Oct... when I compare my leg with what he has gone through, it sorta gives me the strength to realise that our bodies are so strong, even when they feel weak.

And yes, I am never taking my body for granted again!!!

xx