Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi All,

I have been trying to watch what I eat since Nov. 12 (the day of the 3 hour intro to banding). The doctor said if he starts the banding and can't move the liver because it is still too enlarged/rigid he will simply close and put the person back on a diet until the liver has shrunk. I took this as a GOOD message to start count/measuring my food intake.

When I began this landing process I topped the scale at 300....today at my dr. appt. I weigh 285.2.....sweet!!!!

I use the calculator at the Sparkpeople.com site to tell me how many calories, fat, carb, Protein I eat per day...I am trying to 1200 cal. per day....because I am disabled I cannot get the exercise that most others can. The doctor said if you count one calorie per each pound you weight that's how many calories you are eating per day to stay at that weight!!! When I weighed 300 I then must have been eating 3000 calories a day to maintain that weight. So I figure if my goal weight is 150 pounds I should only eat 1500 caleries a day and eventually I will weigh 150 pounds.

How simple does that sound?!!! Carol:nervous

Carol,

You're doing great. I find that as the weight comes off, the pain decreases and I'm able to do more. It will be that way for you, too, and hopefully you will begin to be able to do some sort of exercise. Can you do resistance type stuff, like with therabands? Those can be done sitting in a chair. Target sells a set of three bands for $10.

Hi Phyl,

Thank you for the encouragement.

I've never heard of therabands...but when I get over to Target I will check it out...thanks.

Carol

BJean

I just got back from Sierra Vista, AZ. I'd gotten a fill in MX yesterday. We camped last night in Tucson. This morning we drove to Sierra Viasta. We have friends who bought a house there.

But as we were driving the friends, I went into throw-up-mode. My body kept regurgitating but only a little slim would come up. I'm barely eating anything. I figure if I can still drink Water, it's all fine with me. About time I lost some weight!!!clap2.gif

I've been carb free since Monday and I can really tell the difference. Oh I guess almost carb free- I had an apple last night. My cravings are gone and I am not as hungry. I really want to lose

weight in Dec. and not gain weight.

I am really tired of being on this plateau. I can't lose weight unless I eat around 800 calories per day. Once I get all the carbs out of my system, it's not all that hard.

I've been carb free since Monday and I can really tell the difference. Oh I guess almost carb free- I had an apple last night. My cravings are gone and I am not as hungry. I really want to lose

I am really tired of being on this plateau. I can't lose weight unless I eat around 800 calories per day. Once I get all the carbs out of my system, it's not all that hard.

What are you eating? Sounds like not even good carbs? (except the apple!)

DENISE

Going carb free or close to it sends your body into big time weight loss. It kills hunger and all the cravings for carbs.

After two weeks As you add the carbs back go slow and make it good carbs. Salads, vegetables, whole grain stuff and most fruits especially apples.

Good luck.

Denise - with your deterimnation you will succeed - look at how close to goal you are... I too limit my carb - but I do eat them but in very small quainities... I am lucky that I can eat as much as I do and still lose weight - I guess I haven't screwed up my metabolisam that bad..

:help::help::help::help:I had a fill on Tue. my total is 8.6 on a 10cc band. I didn't get home until midnight so I didn't eat anything except my evening pills which I didn't cut up. The next morning I took my morning pills uncut and shortly after that began having the dry heaves. They were nonproductive and quite violent. Since then I've been unable to eat anything solid. If I try to eat solids I get pain and nausea. I get the pain even when I drink a sip of Water. The pain is right at the line on chest where my breasts end. I can feel something going down and it goes into stomach pouch or at the junction of the esphagus and stomach.

Has anyone ever had this???? What is it????? I wonder if I ulcerated something with the bigger pills?????;)

Sunshine, you might want to try staying on liquids for a few days and then progress to mushies and see if that helps. That's why my dr. recommends anyway and I know a lot of people who PB say you should stay on liquids for a few days after. You just might need to settle things down a little. Good luck!

I was wondering if everybody counted what they drink such as tea , milk, coffee toward their intake of calories. I have plateau for about two months now, but I know my problem is overeating and have went back to the 4oz of meat and vegetables thing. I too have a 10 or 11cc bancd with a fill of 8cc in it. I exercise every other day just to maintain weight but its a struggle as the first thing we do when we get off the train is go eat and then go lay down to get some sleep for the return trip home. So you all say cut back on the carbs and the weight will come off sounds like that is my next approach thank you much terry !!

I was wondering if everybody counted what they drink such as tea , milk, coffee toward their intake of calories. I have plateau for about two months now, but I know my problem is overeating and have went back to the 4oz of meat and vegetables thing. I too have a 10 or 11cc bancd with a fill of 8cc in it. I exercise every other day just to maintain weight but its a struggle as the first thing we do when we get off the train is go eat and then go lay down to get some sleep for the return trip home. So you all say cut back on the carbs and the weight will come off sounds like that is my next approach thank you much terry !!

Slackaction

I count everything that passes my lips - tea would be zero for me as I use splenda - but milk yes - coffee plain is zero too.

I don't cut all carbs but limit the white ones - 1/2 cup serving for dinner only rice Pasta potato bread

NM Sunshine, I think you are too tight. I had that pain when I was too tight. If this goes on for too many days, you're going to need to get a little bit taken out. If you are still having pain even with liquids, you are definitely too tight.

What are you eating? Sounds like not even good carbs? (except the apple!)

When I say I am going carb free, it's not totally carb free. There are still carbs in veggies. I have been off and on the Atkins and South Beach diet for years, so I know exactly which carbs I can have and still lose weight.

I do eat good carbs, but not that many of them when I am in this mode.

I know it will get my weight loss going again, when I am on a plateau. It's just a matter of getting myself to do it. I have to pretty much stay home because when I am around other people eating, I want what they are having. It's a big problem. It seems like all of my socializing revolves around food.< /p>

INDY GIRL what else do you eat on typical day meat, veg, what kind of salad dreesing do you use if you do in fact in eat any salads? thanks inadvanced for your reply

Slackaction

Breakfast can be any of the following

Weight Control oatmeal - yogurt with 1/4 c granola - 1/4 egg beaters with a little cheese & ham - Usually yogurt at my desk or oatmeal..

Lunch

Left overs usually from dinner- turkey chili - taco (about every other week) - Soups - small can tuna & veggies - salad - I use reg dressing (ranch) dip my fork in it then salad. or i have made my own using ranch dressing dry mix with lite mayo & low fat buttermilk - we did this when we were doing WW and the calories are low. I like salads but hate making them - i can eat them... I can eat mostly anything as long as i go slow - eating too fast gets me all the time... I have had ham sandwich or grilled cheese for lunch too..

Dinner

99% of the time this is what i eat - baked fish 4 or 5 oz - 1/2 c rice (white or brown) - 3/4 c veggies usually zuchinnee - yellow crooked neck squash or spinach - brussel sprouts - carrots some times.

then sometimes i make one pot wonders (this is where i just throw things together that i have in the fridge) - ground turkey meat (white) or pork chop with 1 small red potato or rice and cabbage or any veggie, oniion bell pepper soy sauce.

Turkey meat load made with white ground turkey.

Snack at night (i am a midnite muncher) sf choc pudding and healthy choice fudgecicles SF

I exercise usually 5 days a week - walk 2 to 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym and sometimes i do weights - but truely just the treadmill.