Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Crabcake

Here is another interesting fact I have learned in talking with my Uncle over the weekend (he was in the airforce & merchant marines and is well traveled and he didn't know about the Canadian custom of removing your shoes) - Did you know that in Europe that people don't go out to Breakfast like we do here - they don't have Denny's Ihops etc - I asked a girl on my lucky 7 group who is from Ireland - and she too said they don't - they don't eat the same kind of breakfast that we do i gather they eat more bread for breakfast... rolls sandwichs etc...

Just a bit of triva.....

Crabcake

Here is another interesting fact I have learned in talking with my Uncle over the weekend (he was in the airforce & merchant marines and is well traveled and he didn't know about the Canadian custom of removing your shoes) - Did you know that in Europe that people don't go out to breakfast like we do here - they don't have Denny's Ihops etc - I asked a girl on my lucky 7 group who is from Ireland - and she too said they don't - they don't eat the same kind of breakfast that we do i gather they eat more bread for breakfast... rolls sandwichs etc...

Just a bit of triva.....

Yeah, my brother-in-law who is retired AF said in a lot of places in Europe that he went to they served muesli...not like the boxed Cereal, but big containers of granola and raisins and nuts and oats, etc and that you just take a bit of this and that and mix your own. I thought that was cool. Of course some places in Europe let you take your dogs into restaurants which I think is super cool :eek:...it's not like the dog's in the kitchen or anything! And the Brits eat kippers, which are dried fish I believe, for breakfast. Interesting the habits different cultures have. In my next life I'd like to be a cultural anthropologist for at least one of my careers! :bandit

Here in the South, we like to take off as much as we can 'cause it's so bleepin' hot a lot of the time! I'm a firm believer of letting ''the merchandise gallop!" (I think that's from the movie Pete and Tillie btw. :))

Congratulations Green! That's so exciting! I have been debating on whether or not I should get another fill. I haven't lost anything in the last 2 months. I think it's fabulous that you lost 5 lbs without any fill.

I keep debating back and forth because even when I was really tight, I didn't lose any better. My big problem is sweets, which I can eat whether or not I have a fill.

Good Morning All,

The posts on Bra and Shoes was most interesting!!!

I'm for shoes and no bra....I have a son in law that always removes his shoes at everyones home...he's born and raised in WI....I think he has the potential to pick up virus' or bacteria with this habit.....oh well just my thoughts on the subject....

I attended my 3 hour initial meeting last night.

I had to stand in line to be weighed for half an hour!!!! Slllloooowwwwww.

The first speaker was a gal that was banded 5 years ago and lost 230+ pounds....and has kept it off. She also has lost a few friends for various reasons as she became a normal person size....one friend thought she was loosing weight to take her husband!!!! yikes, now that's an interesting thought process!

This gal has had a Tummy Tuck and boob lift but has not done anything yet about her upper legs which really detract from her small upper body.

She will have them tightened at a later date.

I guess the message she was trying to tell us was....the band will only restrict the AMOUNT of food going into your body....YOU have to restrict the KIND OF FOOD you put in....such as malts candy etc... it's a partnership to a smaller you.

She was a very motivating speaker and I enjoyed her very much.

This hospital is a Center of Excellence and the two doctors seemed very knowledgable and kind. I did feel the second doctor was more to my liking (as did the three friends with me)....they said they operate together so I don't know if I get a choice on which one I get to see.

I turned in the 8 page questionnaire, doctor referral, info on medicare (did you know medicare DOES NOT require any waiting period for dieting like most insurances?), apnea in hospital and in home tests, and the record of my 2 year fitness record.....so now I wait until they call me.

They insist all patients see a psych dr. and dietician..so I hope that is all I have to do.....well, besides the pre-op diet.....which reminds me....the info on the fatty, large liver was really scary....they said if they are doing lap. banding and the liver is toooo large and rigid they will close you up, put you back on the pre-op diet until the liver is the size they can move out of the way!!!! I will stay on the pre-op faithfully!!!!

As they were talking about the 3-4 oz. of Protein for the pre-op I decided I would call the local grocery store and have the market cut up the exact oz. of fish, chicken and lamb so I don't have to fuss with it.

I thought that was a stroke of genius on my part....

In all, the evening was tiring but very motivating and I am anxious to get on with this journey.

Sorry to take up so much space but I wanted to share and see if this is what you all went through too.

Carol :phanvan

Crabcake - here in the desert we wear as less as possible too - don't have that much humidity but even dry heat at 110 is awful... - I don't think i would want fish for breakfast - I love my fish - but who knows I would try it.. I will try anything once...

Denise - You stated your problem - sweets - cut them out and i bet those scales will move ;:eek: - I am ok with my sf pudding and fudgecicles don't really miss sweets too much - but was watching Paula Dean make an apple pie (i know food Network isn't a good channel to watch) but anyway - OMG wanted apple pie alamode - so went to the kitchen got my weight control oatmeal (cinnimon sp) added a few raisin - and splenda brown sugar - cook it up- had about 1/3 c vanilla ice cream and put the 2 together - OMG heaven - for a whole 200 calories (only used 1/2 of the oatmeal)

Carol - Glad you you enjoyed your seminar - The pre-op test were my biggest problem - cuz i don't go to the doctor's every !!! so I had to have mamo - pap - lungs- heart - sleep - colon - blood work 14 vials - chest xrays etc - got them all done in just a little over 1 month - at least i know i am in pretty good health,..

Good Luck...

Michelle - were are you we haven't heard from you lately - in fact this thread hasn't been too active lately - Where is everyone....

Thanks for all the kind and supportive comments, folks. :biggrin1:

Denise, I would be careful about getting another fill. It was because I was very tight that I ended up with acid reflux - for the first time in my life - and had to get a complete defill until this was under control. 4 months later I am still operating with an empty band! I feel unfulfilled without my fill. *sob* Better to try to stay away from the sweets.

:hungry:Re breakfast in different lands: I used to live in France and breakfast there was delicious carbs and cafe us lait. Croissants or pain au chocolat or baguette with butter and jam. Though the French eat bread with every meal including Pasta it is only in the morning that they eat it with butter.

And in Italy breakfast consists of sweet rolls and pastries and caffe con leche. Both of these countries really like to start the day with carbs and sugar.

The U.K. likes a fried egg, toast, and sausage breakfast served with tea. coffee and cereal are habits which have been imported from the U.S. A Protein rich meal which is also a heart attack on a plate.

Ingyrob: I chose a face lift because it is the face which what everyone sees. I must say, though, in an ideal world my thighs and upper arms would see some tightening. This really did surprise me as I was carrying most of my fat on my torso. I used to look like a pregnant spider. :eek: Now they just look like old lady arms and thighs. :phanvan

And, yah, turns out both Indio and I detest wearing bras and shoes. Free 'em all, sez Green. :bounce:

Hey Carol, it sounds like you are completely organised. I know that you will do well on this project. Congratulations! And it is cool that you will be a member of the Free 'Em gang.

It's nice to hear from 50-somethings. I am really feeling great now. Am at my fourth week and will begin solid foods -- actually have eaten some. It is a bit scary, but the Doc says the pouch needs to stretch -- that makes me think something is going to hurt.

So far so good with the soft and mushy stuff. I have lost 20 pounds, and that's great! So going to go to lunch soon and find some moist solid thing to eat. It's kind of nice not to be "dieting" per se. Just finding good choices for good nutrition. Don't know what will happen with fills, but I get filled up quickly now anyway.

Thanks for all the input from y'all!

It's nice to hear from 50-somethings. I am really feeling great now. Am at my fourth week and will begin solid foods -- actually have eaten some. It is a bit scary, but the Doc says the pouch needs to stretch -- that makes me think something is going to hurt.

So far so good with the soft and mushy stuff. I have lost 20 pounds, and that's great! So going to go to lunch soon and find some moist solid thing to eat. It's kind of nice not to be "dieting" per se. Just finding good choices for good nutrition. Don't know what will happen with fills, but I get filled up quickly now anyway.

PCGirl - Isn't the band just great - I agree totally with the not dieting per se - this is not a diet but a lifetime - lifestyle change - good healthy foods in smaller protions. I feel so much better than 4 months ago - I feel like a new person already and I still have 43 lbs to go. OMG by then I will be flying high

I attended my 3 hour initial meeting last night.

This hospital is a Center of Excellence and the two doctors seemed very knowledgable and kind. I did feel the second doctor was more to my liking (as did the three friends with me)....they said they operate together so I don't know if I get a choice on which one I get to see.

I turned in the 8 page questionnaire, doctor referral, info on medicare (did you know medicare DOES NOT require any waiting period for dieting like most insurances?), apnea in hospital and in home tests, and the record of my 2 year fitness record.....so now I wait until they call me.

They insist all patients see a psych dr. and dietician..so I hope that is all I have to do.....well, besides the pre-op diet.....which reminds me....the info on the fatty, large liver was really scary....they said if they are doing lap. banding and the liver is toooo large and rigid they will close you up, put you back on the pre-op diet until the liver is the size they can move out of the way!!!! I will stay on the pre-op faithfully!!!!

As they were talking about the 3-4 oz. of Protein for the pre-op I decided I would call the local grocery store and have the market cut up the exact oz. of fish, chicken and lamb so I don't have to fuss with it.

I thought that was a stroke of genius on my part....

In all, the evening was tiring but very motivating and I am anxious to get on with this journey.

Sorry to take up so much space but I wanted to share and see if this is what you all went through too.

Carol :phanvan

Carol,

Glad you got through all that okay. I know you weren't looking forward to it. Yes, Medicare was a breeze for me. Few requirements and not too many hoops to jump. This is great... you're on your way.

Good idea.. having the meat/fish cut in the right portions.

Crabcake - here in the desert we wear as less as possible too - don't have that much humidity but even dry heat at 110 is awful... - I don't think i would want fish for breakfast - I love my fish - but who knows I would try it.. I will try anything once...

I eat fish ANY TIME of the day! DH has been making me eggbeaters omelets with a little smoked salmon/tuna and cheese every day!

And, yah, turns out both Indio and I detest wearing bras and shoes. Free 'em all, sez Green. :bounce:

ME, TOO!! Down with bras!!

Glad to hear you're doing so well PCGIRL!! Keep up the good work!

:bounce:I just got to share my good news with you. There is a meeting in my town tonight, it's a Lap-Band Support group. This is in the little town of Silver City, New Mexico. We're poplation 13,000 hidden in the foothills of the Gila National Wilderness. I am so surprised.:clap2:

Will let you know how it goes

:bounce:I just got to share my good news with you. There is a meeting in my town tonight, it's a Lap-Band Support group. This is in the little town of Silver City, New Mexico. We're poplation 13,000 hidden in the foothills of the Gila National Wilderness. I am so surprised.:clap2:

Will let you know how it goes

Hey! Maybe this is where we should all collect for the shoeless braless hangout. Are there any cute guys and how is the coffee? ?? Perspiring minds wanna know, eh. :)

green

Shoeless braless hangout. Now that is the place to be!!!!

It was held at a doctors office:cry no cute guys. No guys at all. I did show off my belly scars. :)

Everyone had gastric bypass except for one lady who is thinking about getting lap banded. I was truely amazed to see how much people had lost. One lady had lost 180 pounds!!! It was so hard to imagine her 180 pounds heavier.

How is your face feeling? Bet you are feeling like a gorgeous actress or something. Seems like the biggest motivation for me to lose the weight is for the face lift. I have these ideas of feeling like a gorgeous actress.

:whoo:

Indio....Good to hear from you....So do you plan on YEARLY physicals from now on? Sounds like you spent a lot of time at the doctors office/hospital with those tests...and 14 vials of blood!!!! Good Grief! what could they have been looking for???

Green...I am a disorganized organizer---piles of paperwork here there and everywhere---in the end it somehow ends up all in one pile and I'm good to go---I amaze me!

I will be a member of the 'Free Em Gang' ONLY until I trip and fall over them!!!

Phyl...How long did it take you to go from the initial meeting to the operating room?

Thank you all for your good humor and support....I think I'm going to need a lot of both!!!:)

Carol

I am 56, banded in January 07, and I've lost over 100 pounds. It dropped off...then I had Fluid removed because I was too tight, and didn't lose for 3 months, crept up 8 pounds. Now fluid back in and lost the 8 plus 4 more. SO...I'm doing great and feel the best I've ever felt. Before and after photos are incredible! I'll never do that again!