Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Denise

To be within 15 pounds of goal would like a piece of heaven. Do you excersize? Perhaps if you increased your workout or begin a workout (if you don't excersize). It sounds like you are stuck in that starvation mode where the body decreases your metabolism. The body does this because it is still back in the stone age, feast or famine. Excersize is one way to boost the metabolism.

Yes I exercise all the time. I go to the gym every day except for Mondays.

I do weight training, I work with a trainer, and I do plenty of cardio. I have been going to the gym and working out for a long time before I ever even got the band. Usually what happens with me is that I won't lose for a couple of months, then all of a sudden, I will lose 5 lbs. Through out this past year, I never lost every single month, after the first month.

I do have a lot of muscle in my legs. I am happy with the way my legs look. I have lost 3" in my thighs.

I just wish I could get those last 15 lbs off. I just can't seem to get below 160. I am hoping eventually, the scale will start moving again.

I do have a lot of muscle in my legs. I am happy with the way my legs look. I have lost 3" in my thighs.

I just wish I could get those last 15 lbs off. I just can't seem to get below 160. I am hoping eventually, the scale will start moving again.

Denise

You have been losing an average of 5 lbs a month - that's great:clap2: you have lost 55 lbs since 12/6.. Come on - give yourself some credit...

I wish i had only 15 to go - I just increase or should i say deceased my goal from 170 to 160 - so I have 43 more to go.. and truely 145 would give me a good bmi - but at my age - i don't know how i will look - so I am now aiming for 160 - We will see how it goes.. One day at a time.

In 1972 I had JIB bypass surgery which they no longer do because it proved too dangerous. I got down to 170 and no matter what I did I could not get below that weight. In 1987 I had to have it reversed because of malnutrician problems and gradually gained all the weight back and then some. But my point being I finally had to accept that no matter what the Weight charts and Doctors said 170 was the right weight for me. Thats why I have made my goal 170 this time too.

Don't know if that helps

Nance

In 1972 I had JIB bypass surgery which they no longer do because it proved too dangerous. I got down to 170 and no matter what I did I could not get below that weight. In 1987 I had to have it reversed because of malnutrician problems and gradually gained all the weight back and then some. But my point being I finally had to accept that no matter what the Weight charts and Doctors said 170 was the right weight for me. Thats why I have made my goal 170 this time too.

Don't know if that helps

Nance

Nance - this is the first time i have ever lost 47 lbs - the 1st time i did ww - i weight 206 (that was my highest back then) lost 35 - 40 lbs but that was it and that was with the hellp of drugs - medifast weighed 232 - got to 200. I am a size 14 at 200 - I feel good look ok at this size.

I was weighting like 192 when i met my xdh - got down to 185 - and was buying clothes in the junior & womens section (no more layne bryant)

I really don't know what the right weight will be for me - but aiming 160

I did get to 165 once on ww for about a day and from not eatting for 4 days - but I was in my 30's not 50's - now it's the saggy skin issue too.

There was a big fight on the rants thread about us not choosing to try and loose all our weight - and i understand that (settling for less than perfection) - but too I think it is a personal choice - the biggest argument there was about one poster telling the other poster that she was too skinny and obessed with her weight turely almost saying she was anerxios (sp) looking - - I say to each their own - it's a personal choice and yes we can probably go the to the other extreme and be to obessed about being 125 vs 145..

Who gives a sh*t as long as you feel good - heck if you were 300 and got to 200 thats 100 lbs yes you would still be considered fat by some but compared to whar you were you are now skinny - not every thing is black and white - I love the color gray ;0)

I have got to tell someone and so I am telling my over 50 sisters. I went to see my doc today and hopped on her scale (I don't have one at home) and discovered that I have lost another 5 lbs. This is a big deal for me because I had already reached goal and then had had to have a defill because of acid reflux. And then I had the face lift, and now I have a bad, bad cold, and also will likely need a root canal ASAP, and thus have not had the chance to either excercise or get a refill. This means that this further weight loss has been due to my new&improved eating habits/my medical problems. I now weigh 142.5 lbs - I haven't weighed that for decades, eh!!

Well, I must say that I am sorry. This sure has been an all about me kinda post but the truth is that I have been bowled over by this news. :bounce:

I am leaving now. Good-bye nice people. :eek:

I have got to tell someone and so I am telling my over 50 sisters. I went to see my doc today and hopped on her scale (I don't have one at home) and discovered that I have lost another 5 lbs. This is a big deal for me because I had already reached goal and then had had to have a defill because of acid reflux. And then I had the face lift, and now I have a bad, bad cold, and also will likely need a root canal ASAP, and thus have not had the chance to either excercise or get a refill. This means that this further weight loss has been due to my new&improved eating habits/my medical problems. I now weigh 142.5 lbs - I haven't weighed that for decades, eh!!

Well, I must say that I am sorry. This sure has been an all about me kinda post but the truth is that I have been bowled over by this news. :bounce:

I am leaving now. Good-bye nice people. :)

Green :clap2:CONGRATULATION - :clap2:

Lost 5 lbs and didn't even try :clap2:

Healthy eating habits -:bounce:even without the exercise...

Sorry about the cold & teeth issues:sick :eek: And your Face issues should be about over buy now aren't they...

IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU !!!! That just fine and dandy with me - I am a firm believer in tooting your own horn cuz if you don't no one else will.. We gotta share our acheivments !!!!!

Green :clap2:CONGRATULATION - :clap2:

Lost 5 lbs and didn't even try :clap2:

Healthy eating habits -:bounce:even without the exercise...

Sorry about the cold & teeth issues:sick :eek: And your Face issues should be about over buy now aren't they...

IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU !!!! That just fine and dandy with me - I am a firm believer in tooting your own horn cuz if you don't no one else will.. We gotta share our acheivments !!!!!

Indio, you always say the nicest things. We must meet someday over a coffee and drop bras and shoes together. :bounce:

Congratulations Green. It is great about the involuntary weight loss. I have never had that. Lots of involuntary weight gain though.LOL I don't envy you your root canal treatment. I have had that, and since then I have had dental implants. When the implants went in I looked as if i had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. Are you now fully recovered from your face lift? I hope so. My face is getting really saggy now that I am losing weight. I don't know what to do first TT or face lift. I think probably face as i have big bags under my eyes. Won't ramble any more. I am really pleased for you though - goal and losing!

Hey! Why are you apologizing!?? We need to hear stuff like that! Keeps us all going!! That is GREAT!!! Wonderful news! Encouraging & supporting each other is what this site is all about! I love it!

You deserve something nice to happen to you! You've had (and are still having!) a rough time lately. Congrats!!! :whoo:

Indio, you always say the nicest things. We must meet someday over a coffee and drop bras and shoes together. :bounce:

Green

And I just love your sense of humor - you have me rolling on the floor with you "comments"

I think we have another bad habit in common to - that goes with our coffee:bounce:

I was telling my Uncle this weekend about the Canadian custom of taking your shoes off - he is now prepared to come to Canada and not make a fool of himself as a "dumb - dirty" American :biggrin1:

Green

And I just love your sense of humor - you have me rolling on the floor with you "comments"

I think we have another bad habit in common to - that goes with our coffee:bounce:

I was telling my Uncle this weekend about the Canadian custom of taking your shoes off - he is now prepared to come to Canada and not make a fool of himself as a "dumb - dirty" American :biggrin1:

ok, i'll be the dumb-dirty American...what's w/ taking off your bras and shoes w/ your coffee? :eek:

ok, i'll be the dumb-dirty American...what's w/ taking off your bras and shoes w/ your coffee? :eek:

I was lurking around this weekend - there was a poll "Canadian Only" and in reading the thread - they ask "do you take your shoes of when you visit your friends" Green had posted yes- (it is a big custom in Canada i gather from what I read) so I posted (even thou it said Canadians only :biggrin1:) I said no - but that I live in the desert and we don't have boots caked in mud & snow - but that if i went to canada I would take my shoes off and stated that shoes & bra were the first thing I took off when I got home from work - since we know each other from here - she informed me that she only wears a bar as to to offend people - but that she too takes it off as soon as she is home...

So when we meet - we will take our bras & shoe off while we have our coffee - and since we both smoke - we will have a cig with our coffee, shoeless feet and the girls free as birds :bounce:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f76/canadians-only-please-do-you-take-your-shoes-off-19117/