Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I am going in Monday. I can't wait. I want to hear how it's possible for me to do anything differently. I know I don't have PCOS because I have gone through meno. Isn't that where you don't get periods from being overweight/

Yeah !!!! Crabcake introduced me to this thread..(thanks so much crabcake!). I am encouraged and excited that now I feel I have found my niche. I am being banded tomorrow. Yikes ! and Yippee! all in the same sentence. Please keep Crabcake and myself in your thoughts and prayers ..(I hope my understanding is correct that Crabcake is being banded on the same day as I ). I am 59 and weight in at 282 and 5'5" tall. I'm pretty healty except for the old joints that are going bad from the excess weight.

Have a good day and know I feel truely blessed to have found you all. Shar

Shar.. I am also 59 and also 5'5". I started out at 233 and am now at 208. Only 9 pounds to go til ONEderland!!! It's the best thing you will ever do for yourself. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

I am going in Monday. I can't wait. I want to hear how it's possible for me to do anything differently. I know I don't have PCOS because I have gone through meno. Isn't that where you don't get periods from being overweight/

Yah, I am not exactly sure what PCOS is except that it screws up the metabolism and interferes with losing weight. I just read on another thread that the band works best for people who don't have a sweet tooth. People who have a sweet tooth tend to eat around it. The band works well for a bulk eater, and I was one of those.

Good luck on your visit!

Shar: If you're like me your joints will thank you when you start losing! Good luck and keep us posted as soon as you feel like sitting at the computer!

Yeah !!!! Crabcake introduced me to this thread..(thanks so much crabcake!)...(I hope my understanding is correct that Crabcake is being banded on the same day as I ). Shar

Hey Shar! Glad you found your way over. Yep, me and you are up for the band land express tomorrow! I'm both excited and apprehensive, but when I read things like what Teachlady just posted, I'm glad I decided to go through w/ it. At the very least, our joints will be happier!

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and all our other May 8 band buddies.

Best wishes Crabcake and Shar!

This is a great place to get advice from middle bandsters. I am losing slowly too. I am going to get a fill on the 17th. But I don't think that I am eating many calories and I exercise too. I do have Type II diabetes and take meds for it. I was hoping that getting the weight off will help.

Hugs and good luck!

Michelle

Well I forgot to ask for a prescription last week when I went for my final visit and I just called to see if they'd call one in for me today, but the goof brains at my doc's office told me they'd give me one after the surgery tomorrow. I told her I was hoping to get it filled today so I wouldn't have to stop on the way home, but noooo.....fortunately I have some darvocet left over from a dental thing, so that should tide me over while honey goes and gets it filled.

Good luck to both of you, Crabcake and Shar. We'll be anxious to hear! Take care of yourselves after surgery.

Hi All,

My name is Lidia and I am 52. Was at the "slow looser united"....

but I think I have to be here, like it better.

I was banded with Dr. Kuri May 2006, yep one year!.

and I did not lose fast at the beggining neither, it has been a slow even pace, strange but, what ever it is as long it goes down:heh:

This last months things start to slow down a lot so I am going for a fill May 19. Hope I do not get completelly restricted, I would hate to go back for ab unfill...I can eat a cup and a half and have lost my solf point, only pressure is what I feel.

Yep, working out 5 times a week gave me the body to fit in size 12 but my weight is still at 198. Still 48 to go.

Lidia

5/06 Dr. Kuri

225/198/150

3 fills

Yep, working out 5 times a week gave me the body to fit in size 12 but my weight is still at 198.

Good grief!!! A size 12 at 198? What kind of exercise are you doing woman? Are you going for a smaller size or just less weight? Cause a size 12 sounds awfully good to me!

Oh, p.s., welcome! :clap2:

pps, did you say how tall you are? I'm 5'4'' so 198 would definitely keep me from getting in a size 12...maybe a 16 if I'm lucky!

I am in slow losers and here both. So far weight loss for me over the age of 50 has been very disappointing. I started at 215 and the doctor said I wouldn't lose as fast as someone that started out with more to lose.

I am having a resting metobolic test on Wed. and he doesn't want me to exercise until after the test. So I get the day off tomorrow.

Hi!, I'm still waiting to be banded. All tests are done and they said they sent the info to Medicare. It's been 2 weeks and I'm getting very frustrated. Been reading all the good things and the bad things about the band and can't wait to get started. I started on a diet of my own of 2 Protein Shakes and 1 meal and have lost 11 lbs this week. I have about 150 lbs. to lose. I figure the more I can lose now the closer to my goal I'll be. I hope it doesn't take too long. I'm not getting any younger. 64 yrs. old