Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Crabcake: I have a suggestion, from where I sit 6 months post-op. Think really hard about whether you can figure out a way to lose the weight on your own. Because you will be doing the work yourself AFTER the band too. Yes, it does cause you to eat less if you have the proper restriction. But it is not like a sure-fire method of getting to your goal weight real quickly. It's a two year plan, and it takes a lot of commitment on your part.

Most of the people here whose posts I've read would not trade their band for anything. I do know that at this stage of the game, many of us are struggling, trying to stay on track, trying to continue losing weight.

What I'm trying to say is that you should be absolutely certain that you don't think that you can accomplish weight loss without serious help. Having a lap band is a life-long commitment and not a cure for obesity. It is only one thing you can use in your Quest for a healthy way to deal with food in your life.

At LBT, you'll read both ends of the spectrum and everything inbetween. It's up to you to make the wholehearted commitment to do what they tell you in order for the band to work for you. If you are convinced that you want to take this route, then I encourage you. If you think there is some way you can lose the weight without the band, I suggest you try that and see if you can do it without surgery.

Whatever you decide, this is a great place for support. The surgery can be scary, but it isn't very complicated and the success rate is very high. Your downtime varies some, but most agree that if you take about a week to adjust and get over the procedure, you'll do just fine after that.

Best wishes to you whatever you decide to do!!

Think really hard about whether you can figure out a way to lose the weight on your own.

Thanks BJean. If I could lose the weight on my own, I would. I've had a weight problem since I was 8. I've dieted for the past 45 years, sometimes w/ success, sometimes not. As I've gotten older, it's been not. That's why that other voice in my head says 'if I could do it I would have done it by now'.

Two years ago I weighted what I do now. Except I've probably lost and regained the same 20 pounds 4 or 5 times. I'm tired :tired and I'm frustrated. So what's in committing another 2 years. I realize it's not a quick fix. From reading some of the posts, I see how difficult it still is for many folks. But getting the band must help, otherwise we'd all be losing weight w/out it.

My thoughts aren't logical. It's head games I'm playing on myself. Maybe I'm the only one who has had self doubts about the surgery, but I doubt it.

Hopefully talking to my surgeon on Wednesday will help address some of the doubts. In the meantime, I'll keep reading here.:decision:

Yup. I hear ya. I lost the same 20 lbs. many times too. Gets to where you are sure your metabolism is shot.

Believe me you are sure not the only one who has had self doubts about the surgery! It's a big decision. It's expensive and you want some assurance that it will work for you. That's sane and rational. Hopefully your doc will have the answers that you need to feel confident about your decision.

I rocked back and forth for several months. I finally just knew it was the right thing for me. Once I figured that out, the decision was made and I didn't look back. It's a relief when you get to that place. And I hope you do. It gives you the confidence that you need to put yourself first for once. You are so worth it. And the surgery itself isn't much of the battle. Getting your head on right is much more important. I've finally figured out that I am worth the effort to eat properly and I am worth the effort to exercise. This is the only body I've got. I had to make up my mind to save myself. It wasn't going to happen on its own.

Hang in there. Ask as many questions as you can think of and think about yourself and your body and the quality of the rest of your life!

I finally just knew it was the right thing for me. Once I figured that out, the decision was made and I didn't look back. It's a relief when you get to that place.
I look forward to that time. But right now, I'm at the rocking back and forth stage. Part of it I think is the guilt. Mind you, I'm too old to worry about what people think, but still that's part of it. I know some of my family members will wonder 'why doesn't she just go on a diet'? Even though they know how I've struggled over the years. It is about me though and you're right, I have to decide that I'm worth it. Certainly I won't be concerned about what they think from the grave will I??? Ha!

Thanks for the support.:dance:

You know what? I decided not to tell many of my family. My in-laws are all skinny. They've never understood how my DH could have married someone with so little self control. And I have a dietician/nutritionist niece who would never understand either. My DH and son and daughter have all respected my privacy on this and haven't told anyone.

I had a hernia repaired when I had the LB and I just told everyone that I had the hernia repair. Explained also why I was only eating liquids for a while and no one has questioned a thing. Funny tho, I've lost almost 40 lbs. and none of them has even seemed to notice. They mentioned my change in hairstyle tho. Well, I'm still pretty heavy, but you'd think they'd notice over 30 lbs.?

I have been so glad that I didn't tell them all - even some of my friends. It has kept me from feeling pressured and having to answer questions all the time. Sometimes you just don't feel like talking about it and explaining everything blow-by-blow. It's a time in your life for YOU. It's all for you and it's definitely your decision. No one can or should make the decision for you. No one should judge you if you do or do not have it. It's a very personal thing.

I'm sure not everyone feels that way, but that was my approach on it and that's how I've handled it all. And I am glad that I decided to do it that way. You know yourself and what's important to you. Just don't ever for guilty for whatever decision you make. You can't be as good for others if you aren't taking care of yourself.

P.S. I'm older than you are. Don't worry about the age thing as having any adverse effects.

Crabcake, if you are worried about the recovery part of this, I can tell you I had absolutely no recovery what so ever. I got banded and the next day I was out walking 3 dogs. I never had any pain what so ever. I know others have had more trouble recovering, but I have had dental work that was more painful. I wouldn't have even known I had surgery, to tell you the truth. I had it on a friday and went back to work on Monday.

the hard part for me is expecting to lose weight and not having that happen. I have had one fill, but I am having trouble keeping off the 20 lbs that I lost while I was on liquids for four weeks. It's really discouraging. I am sure that taking hormones has something to do with it.

I am looking forward to talking to the dr. at the end of the month.

Thanks BJean. I don't think I'll tell many. Obviously the DH has to know (!), other than that, I'm thinking I'll tell my sister, 'cause if anything happened to me, she'd be so hurt that I hadn't confided. And my best friend since I was 5 who is about my size too. I'll see how not telling my work friends goes, but several of us joined Curves at the end of last year and try to go at least 3 times during the week. How long was it before your Dr. would let you exercise? I've never been big on that (no pun intended!), but have really been enjoying the Curves thing. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks Denise. Knowing that helps. I am a little worried about the recovery and I guess I'm worried too that this won't work either. I know it's only an aid and I'm willing to put in the work, but having so much to lose gets discouraging. Do you do any exercise besides walking the dogs (I'm a 3 dog mom too, so I know that's a lot of work!)? We put in a pool a few years ago, so I'll be able to swim again once the weather warms up a little and I've also joined Curves. This is the most I've exercised in my life, which sort of explains how I got here doesn't it?

Crabcake: I went to Curves religiously for 3 years. I injured my right leg - a tendonitis thing that kept me from doing it for months. I finally gave up my membership when I found out that the reason I was in so much additoinal pain was because of arthritis in my knees. Curves is a good thing, I think. I would never have gone to one of the regular excercise spas where there are lots of guys.

Since surgery and losing about 25 lbs. I started going to a Water aerobics class. It's for people who've had injuries. So it isn't very strenuous. The first time I went the other people put me at ease. I was so worried about being the biggest one there and everybody seeing my chubby self in a swimsuit. Well I'm not the fattest person there and nobody cares! It has been the best thing for my knees and I'm getting around better than I have for a couple of years. We all talk our heads off the whole time we're exercising and I wind up getting in over an hour of structured moving of my arms and legs. It's the best thing I could have done for my body since I hurt my leg and knees.

We have a pool too and when warm weather comes, I'll probably be doing the exercises in our own pool, but I think I'll keep going to the aerobics class because it is so much fun.

Denise: I don't think you can or should expect to lose at the rate you did when you were doing the pre-surgical or post-surgical diets. There are a couple of women at LBT who have continued to lose at that pace, but they seem to be the exception.

Once you get the proper adjustment, you will do better. Until then, your appetite and old cravings seem to come back. It's a slow process and if you are committed, you can make it happen! Hang in there. I've been where you are and started losing again and have made it to almost 40 lbs. at the 6 month mark. I'm at another plateau but I am beginning to have faith that it will come off, I just need to be patient and keep chipping away at it. Everyone agrees that the key to a more rapid and sure loss is exercise.

I lost 30 lbs at the 6 month mark, going from 200 to 170. Like BJean, I was banded in September. I am very, very happy with my weight loss although it has not been as dramatic as that of many of the others who post on this site. I figure that this was partly due to my age and partly due to the fact that I wasn't starting from as high a number as some of the other women here. My other problem is that I have been unable to excercise except for going for long, long walks since I was banded. I tore my left rotator cuff last summer and now that that has almost healed - after months and months of physiotherapy! - my right rotator cuff is blown.

My gym routine was blown, too, since this consisted entirely of ab work (I am one of those women who carries all her fat around her middle) and I needed my arms for this stuff. This was my tough luck but I am so happy to be 30 lbs lighter. I have gone from wearing size 18W pants to wearing a normo size 14.

Even though my weight loss has been relatively slow compared to many I am very happy with it. I believe that a slow and steady weight loss may be healthier in the long run. And I was told that the time line for a lapbander to get to target is two years. My surgeon told me that my target was 150 lbs.

green: we have more in common than I thought. (I mean besides our brilliant intellect) :) We're both September bandsters, started at a similar weight, have lost about the same amount, have physical limitations for certain exercise, are beautiful, precious and politically on the right track.

How tall are you? I started at 218 and am at 177 now. So we're similar in that regard. I didn't tear any rotator cuffs, but my knees are so shot that I can't do much in the way of exercise either. That's why I'm happy with my weight loss too. It is very hard to be patient and not get in such an all-fired hurry, but I believe that you are right when you say that slower weight loss will be healthier in the long run. Afterall, most of us have been able to lose weight before, and rather quickly on various extreme diets, but keeping it off and replacing bad habits is what our goals should be. That just takes some time. :P

And we both love Canada and the U.S.

green: we have more in common than I thought. (I mean besides our brilliant intellect) :) We're both September bandsters, started at a similar weight, have lost about the same amount, have physical limitations for certain exercise, are beautiful, precious and politically on the right track.

How tall are you? I started at 218 and am at 177 now. So we're similar in that regard. I didn't tear any rotator cuffs, but my knees are so shot that I can't do much in the way of exercise either. That's why I'm happy with my weight loss too. It is very hard to be patient and not get in such an all-fired hurry, but I believe that you are right when you say that slower weight loss will be healthier in the long run. Afterall, most of us have been able to lose weight before, and rather quickly on various extreme diets, but keeping it off and replacing bad habits is what our goals should be. That just takes some time. :P

And we both love Canada and the U.S.

Grrl, I always suspected that we had a lot in common.:) As for the tall thing, I am 5'6''. I wish I was taller because then I would look thinner but I'm not.:phanvan

It's my first time to post on this forum. I am so happy I found it tonight. I will be having my surgery on Wednesday the 7th. Ooooh 7-7 and 7 lbs that I had to lose before surgery. Where I come from that's a lucky number!!!777. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, I'll be back!

Good luck tomorrow, gailann, a whole new life awaits you!