Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I swim daily for exercise and look 45 years old...it's so much fun to fool everyone. I don't have extra skin and don't need PS. It's really genetics and your skin's elasticity regardless of your age.

Please post pics! I am sooooooooo jealous. I have reached the "elusive" size 4, but I definitely need PS on some areas. It's not evident when I'm fully clothed, but I lost all that weight and still feel self-conscious in a bathing suit. How badly does that suck?

I think I'll start celabrating my birthday Feb 12th (Banding day). This is the begining of a new life. When the doctor asked me what I wanted to lose, I said to a size 12/14. Seems a long way from a 24/26. I had to go to my own doctors office yesterday because of an onging sore throat that didn't clear up with the last batch of antibiotics. The doctor I saw hasn't seen me in a while. So was so excited for me when I told her I was being banded this month. She hopes she will see me in 6 months, (No Problem there, I catch everything going around from the kids on my school bus)She was the first doctor I saw at that practice. So she knows of my weight issues. Will be 55 this summer. Thanks

I think I'll start celabrating my birthday Feb 12th (Banding day). This is the begining of a new life. When the doctor asked me what I wanted to lose, I said to a size 12/14. Seems a long way from a 24/26. I had to go to my own doctors office yesterday because of an onging sore throat that didn't clear up with the last batch of antibiotics. The doctor I saw hasn't seen me in a while. So was so excited for me when I told her I was being banded this month. She hopes she will see me in 6 months, (No Problem there, I catch everything going around from the kids on my school bus)She was the first doctor I saw at that practice. So she knows of my weight issues. Will be 55 this summer. Thanks

Good luck to you on starting your exciting new journey.

G'day Folks :confused:

I'm 51 soon to be 52years old.

I'm about 6.5 weeks post op (banding) I've dropped a nice slow but regular 23 pounds (10.4 kilos). It's been great reading these posts THANKYOU all :P. I've been well into menopause for some 9 years now & gained more and more weight after I stopped each crazy diet I started. This lap Band is the best tool for losing weight for me so far, so long as I work it and listen to it.

I'm aware I still have to be conscious of what I eat, how much I eat and excercise. I am somewhat limited with my excercise at the moment with severe arthritis in my back, and a fractured knee. But if I listen carefully to my band, ignore the signals to snack and overeat, I'm lsoing regularly.

Without question those times still exist and always will. Hence thats how I got overweight in the first place. I certainly dont want to undo all the good work I have just done and I'm excited about the weight loss thats ahead :D

I had my first fill yesterday at the hospital under fluro xray (all went well after an unsuccessful try at the dr's rooms) I'm loving the new restriction.

It's nice NOT to be hungry again, I was really ready for the fill.

I see the dr every 6 weeks for a fill.

Congratulations to you all on your weight loss Journeys :)

CHEERS to all, Happy Healthy Eating :)

I would love to hear if anyone else is on hormones. I hope I start to lose again when I get a fill. I know someone that got banded and hardly lost any weight. I have read on the boards about that happening to others too. I am really afraid I won't lose as well as everyone on this thread loses because of hormones. I haven't been cheating, but I haven't lost anything since I moved off liquids.< /p>

I would love to hear if anyone else is on hormones. I hope I start to lose again when I get a fill. I know someone that got banded and hardly lost any weight. I have read on the boards about that happening to others too. I am really afraid I won't lose as well as everyone on this thread loses because of hormones. I haven't been cheating, but I haven't lost anything since I moved off liquids.

I take Estrogen.

How could I have missed this thread? You guys are great. I'm 54 and my band buddy, who I went down to Mexico with, is 43. I lost a lot very quickly and she has been slow and steady and has now caught up to me in total pounds lost. With her much lower starting BMI she is now looking fantastic. I'm only slightly envious. I know I'll get there eventually.

One of my main motivations in getting the band is that I have a 14 yr old son and I want to do physical stuff, like kayaking before he leaves home!

Devana, do I hear you, I'm 54 and no children at home, but I have 6 grand-children under the age of 5. I want to play with them, down on the floor without help getting up. Take them to the park (not by car) that is close enough to hear children playing at it from my house. When I watch them my biggest thrill is when they take a nap, so I can too! HOW SAD!!! But things will be different this summer when they come to Grandmom's camp!.!.!

Kedasmom,

I second everything you said. My grandson Daniel is two now, and I get out of breath thinking of him coming over! LOL This last summer he got a darling little sister and I need to get rid of some of this weight before there are two running around here! I want to be the fun grandma - not the tired old one sitting on the couch!

Kedasmom, lucky you, 6 grand kids! If our son waits as long as I did to procreate (it wasn't intentional) I'll be 80 before I get to be a grandma.

Kedasmom: Good Luck on your weight loss Journey. I've been banded about 7 weeks now & it was the best decision I ever made. I am excited for my future. When I woke up after surgery (convinced I would die under anesthetic) I said to myself, I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A SECOND CHANCE. And I'm going to make each second count. I hope your weight Loss Future is successful.

CHEERS to Happy Healthy Eating :)

Well, I'm less then a week away from getting banded. February 12 is my day too, Kedasmom. I am getting more nervous everday. Even though I'm excited, I'm still worried about how life is going to be with the band. I guess that's normal.

Unlike most of you, I don't have any grandchildren to play with (and my 2 kids are in their 30's), but I will be so happy to be able to do so many little things again -- tie my shoes, keep up with my husband when we're walking, get up from a chair without risking a hernia, not dreading a fire drill at work because of the stairs...

What are you planning to do for exercise. It's so cold here. I tried going for a walk and it was so cold my teeth hurt. I may have to break down and join a gym on a month by month basis in order to get some exercise.

Good luck to us all.

Debbie

G'day Debbie ;)

Sincere wishes for a successful surgery and a successful life after banding :) I was extremely nervous and excited about having my surgery 7 weeks ago. But the excitement won over :) I feel sure what your feeling is normal. I'd be very worried if you were not at all nervous, that would seem more odd to me :)

No children or granchildren here also :) So like you, I'm looking forward to enjoying life with my husband and improved activities & quality of life, like walking along the beach without getting too puffed, going shopping with my girlfriends without the fear I can't keep up walking, tieing my shoe laces, getting in & out of the car with ease. All the simplistic things in life.

The Forum has been an absolute life saver & I can't imagine how I would have coped after banding without the support, knowlege, information & recipes etc.

As for excercises, its summer here, so I'm walking each morning for 30 minutes. But also doing Water Aerobics 3 mornings a week for 30 minutes (I have a fractured knee & Severe arthritis in my back) so I'm limited to what excercises I can do. I've just started doing Ab Twists (with a broom handle between my shoulder blades) 100 twists each night. At the moment we have Australia's Biggest Loser on TV, so it's inspired me to make a February Challenge to excercise more.

Good Luck with your surgery and your weight loss future :)

It's a courageous thing we have all done and I commend all of us for taking that step :)

Gerbera,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have bad arthritis in my back too. I'm hoping weight loss helps the discomfort somewhat. Walking is great exercise. That's where I'll start and see where it goes from there.

What is an Ab Twist?

I'll be glad when the surgery is over and I can think about something else. This waiting is emotionally exhausting. I'm also in the 2nd week of my liquid fast. That's exhausting too. I'm feeling less hungry, but I miss chewing and I keep thinking about meatballs. Do you think I miss my Italian food?

Debbie

Gerbera,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have bad arthritis in my back too. I'm hoping weight loss helps the discomfort somewhat. Walking is great exercise. That's where I'll start and see where it goes from there.

What is an Ab Twist?

I'll be glad when the surgery is over and I can think about something else. This waiting is emotionally exhausting. I'm also in the 2nd week of my liquid fast. That's exhausting too. I'm feeling less hungry, but I miss chewing and I keep thinking about meatballs. Do you think I miss my Italian food?

Debbie

Hi again Debbie :)

Your welcome to the words of encouragement, after all this is a support thread and we all need support to get through to our goal :(

I was totally consumed by thoughts, fears & excitement etc right up until my surgery. In fact I stopped contact with most people, because I couldn't talk about anything else, I was obsessed lol.

I've only just started the walking (due to my knee) but I'm managing it better than I thought. An Ab Twist is:.... Take a broom handle, place it across your shoulders and wrap your hand around each end. Hard, fast and sharp, twist your shoulders & waist only (leaving your hips and abdomen facing the front) twist till your right arm is directly in front of you & left arm extended as far behind you as possible & then swap them around. Hope I explained that to make sense? I suggest you dont start this until your at least 6 weeks post surgery. I'm doing it to benefit my tummy muscles and (hoefully) prevent a Tummy Tuck later. I saw pics and read of 1 girl that was successful :D

How many more weeks to go on the liquid?

Missing Italian food? I have this saying, if I'm craving it enough and it's not that bad, will one break out kill me?? Now much of this depends on if you have the will power to stop at 1? (I know we have a weight problem because our will power is not strong) But if that was me, I'd have 1 meatball or at least some liquid meatball sauce to satisy my taste buds:)

How long again before your surgery??