Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I agree. We Baby-Boomers have a different set of circumstances. I decided to go for the Lap-Band instead of the bypass for the same reason. I figure it will be less trama to the system and recovery wouldn't be as long.

I'm 58 and due to have the Lap-Band next Monday and am anxious and scared. I just don't have another "diet" in me.

Debi, I hope your test go well. All that poking and prodding is intrusive, but think of it as your 50,000 mile check up!

We should start and over 50 Lap-Band thread and check up on our progresses.

Debi and Borntolose,

First, I am so with borntolose about not having another diet in her . . .I've been watching my weight so long, really, and it was getting harder and harder--I looked at the future and thought--NOW. I'm 60 (wish I could figure out how to put those permanent signatures with information on the bottom) and I plan to live 30 plus more years and I want them healthy and I want to look pizzazzy. SO here I am banded and believe me--I feel good!

Debi, the tests must be scarey. I recently went to my primary care physician who I had not TOLD I was gettinga lapband. I thought she'd be irritated, but she was great. Said she completely approved, it would be the best thing for my health, and even took down the name of my physician in Mexico for other patients. I live in Calif. so it is easy to get to . . .

I thought this WAS another thread. See? I may be savvy about having the lapband but am certainly clueless about this list-serv thing.

I really enjoyed hearing from you both--seeing what your battles and excitements are. We're in this for the long haul. So here's a toast to us!

Deb:cool:

Born to lose, I like the 50,000 mile check-up analogy. My sister, who is 51, says we're becoming a high maintenance chics. All these tests are making me a little nervous. I felt perfectly fine until they started these deep dive "just want to make sure" tests.

I don't know how to start an over 50 thread, but it really would be nice.

I'm looking forward to liking what I see in the mirror too, Deb.

Regards... Debbie

Hi All:

I was 62 when I got banded, will be 64 in a few days, and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. It has been a learning experience, and has totally changed my life!

I just have a very small amount of saline in my Band, 0.75cc, went up to 1.50cc, but had problems with PB's. I am only 25lbs from my goal and it is very slow losing now but easily within reach!

Wishing you all continued succes on this Journey.

Over 50 and over 60.There is an over 50 thread. I used to love reading it and people kinda quit posting there. I am 62 and ladies we can get this weight off, we have been tired of it longer. I was banded at end of April and only like 28 pounds being at goal. So hang in there.YES WE CAN:clap2:

I was banded in June and have "only" lost 14 pounds. But I have to say, it has been wonderful. The weight loss is so slow (I blame it on my age and mylow BMI but it could also be chocolate) .. but it is steady and I don't gain it back in the "meantime." I need another fill--the third one was very helpful. But to anyone reading this--I say, hang in there. 2007 begins tomorrow and without the band, I'd be a heavier woman than I was in 2006. But I'm not!

Deb

Hi everyone, I'm 60 and was banded 4/24. My weight loss averages 5 lbs per month. I workout at least 3X a week and I think that has helped. I'm 35 lbs from goal. I think we older ones can do anything we put our minds to!!

Roberta

Hi everyone, I'm 60 and was banded 4/24. My weight loss averages 5 lbs per month. I workout at least 3X a week and I think that has helped. I'm 35 lbs from goal. I think we older ones can do anything we put our minds to!!

Roberta

We sure can, Roberta. I tell my grandkids that they have the hottest lookin' Nanny in town!

Go Roberta!!

And Carlene, you are GORGEOUS!!

I'm not 50, yet, but have hope that the fifties will be good to me if I prepare now. Your attitudes definitely inspire me!

Wow, I started this thread back in July, when I first began to research the lapband. It's great to see it "wake up".

I started my required preop tests back in August and was forced to take a few detours -- you know, one test leads to another, then another. Everything is fine and I'm just waiting to get a date now.

I would be happy to lose 5 lbs a month -- that's 60 lbs at the end of a year! I have to lose 150 lbs., so that would be almost half way to goal for me.

I think weight loss is may be slower for those of us over 50, but for most of us, I think our life experience has produced the grit to overcome difficult times and the patience to work things through day-by-day until we get to the other side. We know by now that it's the only way to get over life's mountains.

I don't care if it takes me two years instead of one to reach my goal. I just want to get there, and I want to be healthy when I do.

I have found a terrific mentor on this board who has been such a help to me. I'm sure that when I get the band, her experiences and the knowlege she has shared with me will be invaluable. This website has been very helpful.

Carlene, you really do look beautiful. Has it been hard for you to maintain where you are? How is that managed once you reach goal?

Regards... Debbie

I do think that our weight loss is a little slower, but it is pretty steady. I have lost 45 lbs in 6 months and it isn't coming back. I'm losing it in different places than before so it is new to me. I'm sagging in my arms big time, but that's OK.

DH and I took a cruise 1 week before surgery. We just got back from our Christmas cruise 6 months after. What a difference. I could walk and walk and not get tired. I ate, but didn't gorge. I felt pretty good. I can't wait for the next 6 months to see even more changes.

I am 57 and started off with a relatively low BMI but I did lose about a pound per week during the first 16 weeks after surgery (which took place in early September).

I don't know how I have been doing since then - what with Christmas and all. I haven't gone in for an official weigh in and I don't own a scale. I look a lot thinner and I am eating a lot less than before. I am also thinking more about what I put in my mouth. The band makes you do that and that's a very good thing.

The band seems to have changed something, that's for sure. Before I had the band I was active but the weight wasn't budging.

Hi fellow "oldster" bandsters. I will be banded in 6 days. I am 57 and think we can do just fine. Even if the weight loss is slower, at least for once, it's in the right direction and that will satisfy me. We all need to stick together and support each other. Most of us have blown our metabolisms by yo-yo dieting, at least I know I have--and I usually don't even start to lose weight for 3 or 4 weeks on any diet now. But this will be different!

I brought up a 12 lb. turkey from the basement freezer last week. I was shocked at how much it weighed and that I was winded from just that. I will be losing 5 or 6 times that amount of weight. I am SO looking forward to having energy and strength again. Oh well, I'm rambling on so I'll stop. Love you guys!

Susan

Carlene, you really do look beautiful. Has it been hard for you to maintain where you are? How is that managed once you reach goal?

Regards... Debbie

Thank you, Debbie. I really appreciate all the compliments, especially since I just had a birthday on Christmas Eve and am feeling soooooooooooo old! My DH couldn't wait to be eligible for "senior citizen" discounts. Trust me, I can wait. I'd rather pay full price any day.

But to answer your question....it's taken some effort to maintain, but it's not been as bad as you might think. The trick is to NOT kid yourself. If you gain 5 pounds, they will shortly be followed by 15 more unless you make some changes. I had to stop buying Cheetos. I just can't have them in the house because I am helpless in the presence of crunchy Cheetos. I will eat the whole bag in a day, or two, if I'm really trying to be good...ha!

The band will not make all your food choices for you. It makes some....I can't eat bread any more, and bread had a LOT to do with my weight. But ice cream and chocolate (and Cheetos) will still go down easily and in large quantities. So if you want ice cream, drive to the ice cream shop and buy a single dip. Do not buy a half gallon and bring it home, or you will eat that one and end up buying another. Soon you will realize just how much we have in common with alcoholics and drug users!