Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

okay, I will be at Worcester Memorial on Monday Feb. 12th at 9:30a.m. with a clear conscience. And a new way of looking at WLS. I never had any doubts about doing this, just lucky my insurance would pay. Also wishing that every overweight person could do this instead of wasting 35 years dieting, the up and down. I have lost myself no less than 4 times. It is soooo depressing. This will be a new beginning, and I'm up for it!!! Thanks Everyone.

kedasmom: Best of luck with your surgery! Sounds like you have a great attitude going in. Keep it up and you'll be thrilled with the results.

I'm 61, had the band since 9/11/06 and have lost 36 lbs. and 37 inches! Still have that much and a little more to lose, but I can finally walk without pain most of the time and all of my blood work stats have improved dramatically.

My exercise physiologist told me that what I've lost is a 36 pound child who is 37 inches tall. What a shocking idea that was - I've lost the equivalent of my granddaughter! That's like I was walking around carrying my granddaughter all the time. No wonder I was told I needed both knees replaced.

I don't know what age is considered too old, but 61 is not too old for me. I am learning more about my part of the job of getting to goal. It is not to be taken lightly because the band can certainly be sabbotaged by me. I am hitting a plateau where I have to readjust my diet again since my initial weight loss. I had gravitated away from all the Protein gradually and toward eating more carbs. Eating more carbs meant craving carbs. My body just can't handle most simple carbohydrates and it's a fact that I have to learn to accept and live with for the rest of my life.

My very best to all of you wonderful people who are sharing in this journey with me. Thanks for all your encouraging words and great photos. Carlene, you are definitely a terrific inspiration!

Thanks to all who continue to contribute to this thread. You are all such a source of support and inspiration. When I started looking into getting the lapband, I had my concerns about being 55 and being as successful as some of the younger people on this board. All of you have certainly helped to encourage me and help me realize that success is up to me and the lapband will make it easier for me to focus on the journey ahead.

I'm two days away from surgery. I'm nervous, but I'll be happy to have it behind me. I'll also be happy when I can actually chew something again. That won't be for a while yet, but it's getting closer. I've lost 11 lbs. on the liquid diet, so I'm off to a good start. This is going to be followed by 2 weeks of a thin liquid diet after surgery. If that doesn't help the lapband get off to a good start, nothing will.

Kebsa, good luck to you on Monday. My surgery is scheduled for 3:00 pm (eastern time). I'll be thinking of you.

Debbie

Debbie: You will probably see great results from the pre diet as well as the post-surgical diet. Once you have the band, you should experience restriction because of the swelling from surgery, so don't worry about getting too hungry. You will be happy when you eat your first solids, but it doesn't seem to be too difficult for most bandsters who've posted at LBT. In fact, when the swelling goes away (6 weeks or so) we seem to all wish we still had that kind of restriction.

Best of luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your progress. If you have questions you can get a lot of really helpful answers here, but be sure to call your doctor if it is a medical problem.

Dear Debbie and Kedasmom,

Best of luck next week. I know I was so happy to finally have mine over and done with and move on to the rest of my life. I felt that was on a holding pattern until it was over.

You will do great!!!

Thanks, BJean & mfw, for the good wishes. I will definitely keep you posted. Hopefully, I'll be able to post an update later in the week.

Debbie

Hello Everyone, I did the "deed" on Monday. All went well, I spent the night because of sleep apnea, my oxygen level dropped so they hooked into my CPAP machine and I was good to go. My DH still worries about the surgery. He gets emtional on me. I try to reassure him that I'll be fine. And then someone on TV has a problem with their WLS and he gets upset all over again. I think I'm doing fine, plan on going back to drive bus on Friday. I have had a little gas pain, but it goes right away. I'm drinking my liquids with no problem. I just sleep alot:notagree So far, so good. Good Luck to all.

Congratulations Kedasmom! Welcome to bandland!

I just got my first fill, so I am now experiencing what happens when I eat too fast.

How long do you have to be on liquids? Every doctor has seems to have a different plan for that. I was supposed to be on liquids for 4 weeks, but I didn't make it. The last week, I wanted to eat so badly, I cheated a little and ate some stuff on the mushie list a few times. I did do mainly liquids though even that last week. It was really nice to see that scale move down.

Hello Everyone, I did the "deed" on Monday. All went well, I spent the night because of sleep apnea, my oxygen level dropped so they hooked into my CPAP machine and I was good to go. My DH still worries about the surgery. He gets emtional on me. I try to reassure him that I'll be fine. And then someone on TV has a problem with their WLS and he gets upset all over again. I think I'm doing fine, plan on going back to drive bus on Friday. I have had a little gas pain, but it goes right away. I'm drinking my liquids with no problem. I just sleep alot:notagree So far, so good. Good Luck to all.

Welcome Back Home and Welcome to the land of Bandsters :mad:

Hopefully as time goes on and DH sees how wonderful your going along with your band, and hopefully DH will ease his anxiety. Every surgery has it's risks, landbanding has many, but so does staying overweight. Remind him he could just as easily lose you if you DON'T lose weight. I was sleepy, fatiqued and tired for the first 2 weeks, I became grumpy in the 3rd week, I was missing my friend/addiction "Food" I suffered with gas for most of those 3-4 weeks and shoulder pain for about 5 weeks. Sounds like your really coming along great. Sincere wishes for a successful recovery and a fabulous weight loss journey :)

CHEERS

Congratulations Kedasmom! Welcome to bandland!

I just got my first fill, so I am now experiencing what happens when I eat too fast.

How long do you have to be on liquids? Every doctor has seems to have a different plan for that. I was supposed to be on liquids for 4 weeks, but I didn't make it. The last week, I wanted to eat so badly, I cheated a little and ate some stuff on the mushie list a few times. I did do mainly liquids though even that last week. It was really nice to see that scale move down.

Congrats on your first fill Denise, I hope it's a good restriction for you. I had mine 2 weeks ago, It felt like a good restriction at the time, but now I'm feeling like I could eat a horse and chase the jockey. I rang the Dr's rooms and brought my next fill a week closer (only appt I could get) so I've still got 3 more weeks before my next fill. Good luck with your weight loss Journey :mad:

CHEERS

Thanks Everyone, I have appointments on the 26th, with the doctors office and then with the Nutrition Clinic. So at least 2 weeks on liquids. How soon do you get your first fill? DH lost both parents in the last 6 months, so he's alittle extra emtional right now. So I try not to complain to much, and stay very "UP". So I guess this is the place where I'll have to vent any feelings I'm having. Thanks again

Had my sugery on Monday. I'm still not feelng very well. I think that's because, in addition to getting a lapband, I had a hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. The pain in my left shoulder is awful. Sometimes it gets so bad it hurts to pick up a cup. I still have lots of gas. I've used Gas=X, I've walked -- nothing much is helping. I left a message on the nurse practictioner's voce mail. Hoping he has some advice.

Debbie

Had my sugery on Monday. I'm still not feelng very well. I think that's because, in addition to getting a lapband, I had a hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. The pain in my left shoulder is awful. Sometimes it gets so bad it hurts to pick up a cup. I still have lots of gas. I've used Gas=X, I've walked -- nothing much is helping. I left a message on the nurse practictioner's voce mail. Hoping he has some advice.

Debbie

I am sorry you're not feeling well Debbie.:omg: They say walking will get rid of the gas. It's probably hard to get much walking in when you're in pain, but everybody told me to walk as much as possible to move the gas out.

I should have had my hiatal hernia repaired too. I keep wondering if that is why food is getting stuck. I just to say that my throat closes up before I found out I had a hiatal hernia. So I am sure between the band and the hernia, that's why sometimes it feels like there is food in my chest and it really hurts. I have to remember to eat slower, take smaller bites, and chew better.

I hope the nurse practictioner has something useful to help you. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Denise

Thanks Everyone, I have appointments on the 26th, with the doctors office and then with the Nutrition Clinic. So at least 2 weeks on liquids. How soon do you get your first fill? DH lost both parents in the last 6 months, so he's alittle extra emtional right now. So I try not to complain to much, and stay very "UP". So I guess this is the place where I'll have to vent any feelings I'm having. Thanks again

Hi Kenasmom,

I had to wait 6 weeks before my fill.

You're right about this being the place to vent. That's what we are here for!

I wouldn't have been able to make it through the first 4 weeks on liquids without this board, that's for sure. So vent away! We understand.:nervous

Congrats on your first fill Denise, I hope it's a good restriction for you. I had mine 2 weeks ago, It felt like a good restriction at the time, but now I'm feeling like I could eat a horse and chase the jockey. I rang the Dr's rooms and brought my next fill a week closer (only appt I could get) so I've still got 3 more weeks before my next fill. Good luck with your weight loss Journey :D

CHEERS

Thanks Gerbera. I don't really know what I good fill is supposed to feel like. I know I have a lot of trouble with food getting stuck. I haven't pb'ed or slimed yet, but I get terrible pain right between my boobs where it feels like a big rock is in there. I have a hiatal hernia too so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have to remember to folllow the rules with chewing more and taking tiny bites. Sometimes I forget.

What did you feel like when you felt like you had good restriction? Did you just feel full very fast? I do find if I eat mainly Protein, I am not craving anything else. I don't think that's the band though. Once I eat carbs, I always crave them.

I have another fill scheduled for 3-26 but I am kind of afraid to get one since the last time something got stuck, it was quite painful.

Good luck on your weight loss journey too!:Banane20: Denise