Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet Meltdown!

Yesterday was Day 9 of my 4 week pre-op diet. It has been difficult here and there, but I had a total meltdown yesterday and I'm still hoping I could pull it back together today. I had my morning shake and then for lunch I had my chicken broth. Then around 1:00 I started freaking out at work that I had to eat something. I was so close to driving through somewhere but I didn't. Instead I ran down the black to walgreens and bought a jar of Peanut Butter and some extra gum. I intended to eat a few spoonfuls of the PB but once I started i couldn't stop and ate like 1/3 of the jar (one of those small jars). Then i felt a little sick but I still had my second shake around 3:30. I left work at 4 and then went to the grocery store to buy something to make for dinner for my family (a job that gets harder as each day passes). I've been trying to make simple foods and use semi-prepared side dishes so I'm not fully cooking. So I bought pork chops and some pre-made mashed potatoes.

My family was all late in getting home for various reasons (traffic, football practice) so the food was sitting there practically calling my name, especially the mashed potatoes. Finally when everyone was home I re-heated the pototoes again and while I was stirring them I just broke down and started crying. It took all the strength I had not to put that spoonful of mashed potatoes in my mouth after not having a carb for 9 days. I'm actually surprised at myself that I didn't. My poor husband ushered me away and told me that he would take care of everything to just go watch tv or something away from the food. (note: my husband is extremely supportive which is a huge help and a blessing). So I went in the other room and then went into full out sobbing crying because my WHOLE family was at the table for a change---with 2 sons ages 20 and 17 that rarely happens. So now I'm crying over mashed potatoes and the fact that I can't sit at the table with my family. It was a really tough night. But I finally calmed down, drank my other shake and eventually got through it.

I really think 4 weeks is much too long for this pre-op diet. Most people have to do 2 or none at all. I love my doctor and believe in him, but this is very tough. He requires this of all his patients, not just me. My starting BMI is 40.1 so that's not the reason. But I wish I would have stuck to my original thoughts and just done 2 weeks anyway. Yesterday I kept saying that I can't do this for 3 more weeks, its too long. It's only a little over a week and I'm freaking. That being said, I also am due for my period any day and I usually do get a little emotional prior so that could be playing a factor too.

Anyway, for those who are still reading this long drawn out post, thank you! I just needed to let it out somewhere!

I'm sorry that you had such a meltdown. My paperwork said a three wee pre op diet, but when I met with my surgeon he said he really only needed 10 days to shrink the liver. I ate a lot during that ten days, but kept it under 800 calories per day.

You can get thru this, you really can. It's hard, but it's a pre-cursor to what your post surgery life will be. I still sit at the table with my bowl of chicken broth and talk with the family and kids. The difference is now, most of what they are eating does not look tasty to me any more. I think it is much easier once you are post surgery because you know the majority of those items will make you sick. I am only 11 days post op, but I had to make a late and easy dinner last night and made Hamburger Helper. I was looking at it and thinking ewwwwwwwwww, cuz I knew how sick it would make me feel.

The pre op diet is necessary to shrink your liver and make your surgery safer. Just try and remind yourself of that.

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe in you.

I know you can get through this! biggrin.gif I hated it as well, I was only 2 weeks for my pre op diet, and the last 2 days were the worse for me because it was a all clear liquid diet and I was not used to that and I was craving carbs, thats my most loved thing is bread, Pizza Crust ,etc lol. And here I was drinking chicken broth for dinner and my family is warming up a costco pizza and the smell was too much for me and I had a break down too, so your not the only one, hang in there. I am now 4 days Post op and its still hard, I am not as hungry as I was but I still want to eat what my family is eating and I hate that I can't, but I just keep reminding myself that this is to better myself and that soon I will be able to have alittle something that everyone gets to eat, but for now I can't injure myself by eating things that will harm me and my new tummy lol. But Hang in there and if you need to vent more, then do it on here cause thats what were here for, to support each other wink.gif

Yesterday was Day 9 of my 4 week pre-op diet. It has been difficult here and there, but I had a total meltdown yesterday and I'm still hoping I could pull it back together today. I had my morning shake and then for lunch I had my chicken broth. Then around 1:00 I started freaking out at work that I had to eat something. I was so close to driving through somewhere but I didn't. Instead I ran down the black to walgreens and bought a jar of Peanut Butter and some extra gum. I intended to eat a few spoonfuls of the PB but once I started i couldn't stop and ate like 1/3 of the jar (one of those small jars). Then i felt a little sick but I still had my second shake around 3:30. I left work at 4 and then went to the grocery store to buy something to make for dinner for my family (a job that gets harder as each day passes). I've been trying to make simple foods and use semi-prepared side dishes so I'm not fully cooking. So I bought pork chops and some pre-made mashed potatoes.

My family was all late in getting home for various reasons (traffic, football practice) so the food was sitting there practically calling my name, especially the mashed potatoes. Finally when everyone was home I re-heated the pototoes again and while I was stirring them I just broke down and started crying. It took all the strength I had not to put that spoonful of mashed potatoes in my mouth after not having a carb for 9 days. I'm actually surprised at myself that I didn't. My poor husband ushered me away and told me that he would take care of everything to just go watch tv or something away from the food. (note: my husband is extremely supportive which is a huge help and a blessing). So I went in the other room and then went into full out sobbing crying because my WHOLE family was at the table for a change---with 2 sons ages 20 and 17 that rarely happens. So now I'm crying over mashed potatoes and the fact that I can't sit at the table with my family. It was a really tough night. But I finally calmed down, drank my other shake and eventually got through it.

I really think 4 weeks is much too long for this pre-op diet. Most people have to do 2 or none at all. I love my doctor and believe in him, but this is very tough. He requires this of all his patients, not just me. My starting BMI is 40.1 so that's not the reason. But I wish I would have stuck to my original thoughts and just done 2 weeks anyway. Yesterday I kept saying that I can't do this for 3 more weeks, its too long. It's only a little over a week and I'm freaking. That being said, I also am due for my period any day and I usually do get a little emotional prior so that could be playing a factor too.

Anyway, for those who are still reading this long drawn out post, thank you! I just needed to let it out somewhere!

Hi,

I am on day 5 of this 2 week diet (surgery on 10-2-11 with Doctor Marema of Flagler, St Augustine hospital. He has done over 5000 bariatric surgeries and helped develop the "spider". His diet is as follows:

Breakfast: 8oz skim or 1%milk, 1/2 Protein shake, 4oz fruit

Mid-morning: 1 Protein Drink

Lunch" 6-8oz low fat, light yogurt, 4oz vegetable or fruit

Afternoon: 1oz nuts or 2 tbsp Peanut Butter, or 1/2 cup Beans or hummus, and 4oz vegetable or fruit

Dinner: 4oz lean protine (meat), 4oz vegetable with1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 whole grain starch or 1 slice

whole grain bread

Evening: 8oz skim or 1% milk, 1/2 Protein Drink, 4oz fruit

100 oz of free liquid (chicken broth, Water, crystal light etc.) Fiber and Protein supplements count toward your 100 oz of liquids. Also several different Vitamins as well as 5 grains of Fiber supplement are required. His nurse said I didn't have to follow the order eactly. I could adjust it to my lifestyle.

I'm not saying you should do this,as your Dr knows you best. But I trust my doctor and his diet seems to be less restrictive, (I don't know what else is on your diet). Anyway, I hope this helps. Keep in touch as I am not that far ahead of you. God Bless

The pre-op diet in my opinion was the hardest part of this whole journey. They are asking obese people basically to go cold turkey and that is hard. I don't know what your doctors specific diet is for you but mine was just a liquid diet for 2 weeks and making sure I got a minimum of 60 grams of Protein. What I did was drink all day long. At any given time I had a minimum of 4 different beverages on my desk. I would mix it up for the different flavors but my thought was as long as I keep drinking my stomach would stay full and I wouldn't be as hungry. To give you an idea of what and how much I drank here was an average day. Keep in mind that this is after I tried multiple Protein drinks and settled on the Atkins.

Morning when waking up: 2 big cups of coffee, (I know I had to give it up post surgery, but I didn't until then)

Through out the day: coffee, Diet Snapple drinks, Welches diet peach drinks, V8's, 2 Atkins Protein shakes mixed with a cup of skim milk. Each Atkins has 15 grams of Protein and with the milk it added 8 more grams.

When I got home: Tomato Soup, cream of brocolli Soup (strained), I had other Soups too but those were my favorite. Sometimes I would even get a beef and country vegtable and just have the gravey, 2 Atkins Protein Shakes w/skim milk, SF jello's, SF ice pops

I would also keep a thing of the chicken and beef bullion cubes on my desk and at home for whenever I felt I needed a savory flavor and just added it to super hot Water, some pepper and stirred it till it disolved. Another thing I did was ice because I missed chewing so much. Thank goodness my teeth are rock solid and cold does not bother them. I also heard that chewing gum makes you hungry because it gets the juices in your stomach going in anticipation of food. Don't know if this is actually true or not, so I just didn't do it.

Like I said I don't know what your doc's specific diet is or if its just to be on liquids, but this is how I got through the 2 weeks. I lost 13lbs in those 2 weeks too.

Hope this helps! You can do this, its hard but the ends justify the means and you will come out on top in the end. Good luck on your journey!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and wisdom. It has gotten better in the last few days, no more crying at least. lol. I am managing to get along but I'm not following it perfectly. I just can't. But I've only been adding a few healthy things here and there just to get through.

According to the plan the doctor gave me, the diet is:

4 shakes a day (made with skim milk or juice)

-or-

2 shakes a day + 1 moderate size meal of lean Protein and vegetables.

In addition, I can have as much as I want of sugar free clear beverages, sf Jello & popsickles, broth. He also said I don't have to do the same every day, i can do the 2+1 one day and the 4 the next. He said this should give me 1000-1200 calories a day.

So far what I've been doing is the 2+1. I have a shake in the morning (I like the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury - with skim milk = 180 calories). Then at lunch I have broth with some vegetables in it. Around 2:00-3:00 I have another shake. Then i have a dinner of either chicken breast or shrimp with vegetables. In between I'm having Jello and usually a popsickle at night while watching tv. That is a good day for me. On days that i'm starving or craving food I've been throwing in a some Peanut Butter or some low fat cheese.

If you figure it out, my doctor needs to buy a new calculator because 4 shakes at 180 calories is only 720 calories! If you add in a popsickle or 2 at 15 calores each, and jello which has no calories along with all the clear beverages its not even 800 calories. chicken broth has barely any calories also. I also figured out my meals. There are very little calories in vegetables (if any) and the chicken breast is about 150 calores. When I have shrimp it is even less calories. But I only have 2 shakes a day when I have a meal. So say 360 for the 2 shakes + 250 for the meal = 610. So if I have 2 or 3 string cheese at 50 calories each, its no big deal. Even the Peanut Butter which has more calories, still doesn't put me near the 1000 mark.

I still have 2 weeks and 2 days to go. I really think my biggest problem was the 4 weeks. I sooo could have done this a lot easier for 2 weeks like everyone else. I mean, this would be difficult for someone who doesn't have an eating disorder, so for me its some sort of torture to expect it for 4 weeks. But I know it will all be worth it in the end. The funny thing is 2 weeks of this and I've only lost 6 lbs. Makes me a little nervous for after i'm sleeved, like my body just doesn't want to lose weight. But hopefully thats just my nerves talking.

I get to have 4 shakes a day or 2 shakes and a sensible meal. Lean meat and non starchy veggies only. Also I can have as much Water, sf popsicles, broth, and sf Jello as I want. I was put on this diet by my doc but I have no surgery date yet, no approval for insurance yet either. In fact I have my NUT appointment on Nov 1. So I know will be on this diet at least until then probably much longer.

I just wish I had a date to look forward to. Anyways I am in a similar situation because I have to cook for my bf and daughter. For example, tonight is spaghetti and meat sauce with cheezy garlic bread. I on the other hand am having a Bariatric Advantage vanilla crappy shake.

Today is only my 4th day on the diet, and I had my first "meltdown" last night. I really had a craving for ice cream and I was so freaking pissed off about it lol. I finally told my bf to give our daughter a bath and to leave me alone. I was sure if he didnt I would bite his head off. So I tried taking a nap. It was very restless. I ended up going to bed angry and hungry. Today is much better though, glad I didn't give into the ice cream. Next week is my period though, can't wait for those meltdowns lmao.