Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

travel back from Mexico, plane & car

What is the discomfort level coming back from Mexico after surgery? I will be coming back from Mexicali on Sunday. There is a 2 hour drive followed by a 3-hour flight from San Diego and then I will retrieve my car from airport parking and drive 30 minutes home. I will be traveling alone and have not come across anything that would make me think there is any problem with this plan. My only concern is possible pain and discomfort.

Thanks in advance for your insight and suggestions.

I did exactly the same thing and I was fine. I didn't have anything you could call pain, the incision that was under my bra band was a little uncomfortable but the seat belts all fastened below any incision sites. Mostly I was tired but since I sat most of the day i was otherwise fine. Do walk around the airport every half hour while you wait for your flight and get up on the plane once or twice. You'll do great.

Thanks for the feedback - very reassuring! Can't wait to share good news about results soon!

It was no problem whatsoever for me either, I had no real pain. Everyone's recovery can be different, but I had a very easy recovery and really I was pretty comfortable on the plane and in my car ride that was about 2-2 1/2 hrs from the airport to my sisters. I wore loose comfy clothes. I got around pretty easy in the airports. I just didn't lift anything, my bag was on wheels. Good luck!!

:)

we lest the hospital and drove from San Diego to vegas for some fun--then decided to drive the rest of the way home--to TEXAS!! no pain whatsoever!! I even skipped out on the two days in the hotel--I just was too restless to stay there

Me too, I left Mexicali on a Saturday and went shopping in San Diego from about 10 till 4 in the afternoon. No pain at all. Just got a bit tired by the end of the day. Everyone is different though, so just take it easy and see what you feel like doing. There is no right or wrong, just what works for you. I took the flight out the next day and did just fine on the trip home. I was not alone, but you should be able to find someone who could maybe lift your bag into your car for you. I felt like I could do it, but I really followed my surgeon's orders about lifting cause I did not want to jeopardize the staple line or incisions. I think you will do great! There are sooo many on this site who have gone alone. Good luck to you!smile.gif

I flew back to Ohio from San Diego (Dr. Aceves in Mexicali). I slept for a good portion of the trip, if not most of it. I wasn't in any real pain, just uncomfortable. My tube hole was leaking so I was kind of nervous about that, but it had slowed down by that point. That flight was the first and ONLY time I have ever had to use one of the seat belt extenders on the airplane. Use that if you need it.

One thing I would recommend is to have a face mask on for your trip home. You just had surgery, your immune system and bodily responses are therefore comprimised and you are going to be exposing yourself to some of the nastiest places around, airplanes and airports. Tons of germs, bacteria and viruses. I got exposed to something and developed mild-moderate pneumonia after surgery. If I had used a mask, I bet I would have been completely fine I think.

And dress comfy. Who cares if you don't look your "best" while you're flying back. You're gonna feel bloated, exhausted, sore and just downright icky. Plus, you're never going to see these other people on the plane/airport ever again.

I flew back to Ohio from San Diego (Dr. Aceves in Mexicali). I slept for a good portion of the trip, if not most of it. I wasn't in any real pain, just uncomfortable. My tube hole was leaking so I was kind of nervous about that, but it had slowed down by that point. That flight was the first and ONLY time I have ever had to use one of the seat belt extenders on the airplane. Use that if you need it.

One thing I would recommend is to have a face mask on for your trip home. You just had surgery, your immune system and bodily responses are therefore comprimised and you are going to be exposing yourself to some of the nastiest places around, airplanes and airports. Tons of germs, bacteria and viruses. I got exposed to something and developed mild-moderate pneumonia after surgery. If I had used a mask, I bet I would have been completely fine I think.

And dress comfy. Who cares if you don't look your "best" while you're flying back. You're gonna feel bloated, exhausted, sore and just downright icky. Plus, you're never going to see these other people on the plane/airport ever again.

Your the 2nd person I've read recently that got pneumonia after surgery with Dr. Aceves, but sounds like you think it was from traveling. Is pneumonia common after surgery?

sorry just e-mail a date & suddenly very nervous.

Just back from my trip. All went well. I'd gotten a cold 4 days before I left for surgery, so that had me feeling a bit more under the weather and also a little concerned about risk of pneumonia. However, I feel okay. Lowgrade headache continuing, which I expect is due to caffeine withdrawal and anxiety. Thanks for all your tips and support! Am very happy with my choice!

I also had surgery in Mexico... drove from Tijuana to San Diego... had a 4 hour flight and then drove home 8 hours.. no pain whatsoever. I had to get back to Canada. I think you will feel more tired than anything.. good luck :)

Your the 2nd person I've read recently that got pneumonia after surgery with Dr. Aceves, but sounds like you think it was from traveling. Is pneumonia common after surgery?

sorry just e-mail a date & suddenly very nervous.

Pneumonia is not uncommon, but it is not common either. As as you have access to antibiotics you should be fine. It is definitely nothing to play around with. If you start to get sick, get yourself to a doctor!

Yes, I believe it was simply from the traveling. When you compromise your body's defenses (i.e. have surgery) your immune system is thrown out of whack and is gonna be working hard to fix what you just did to it (i.e. removing part of a vital organ). This opens up your body to opportunistic infections caused by all sorts of stuff, such as fungi, bacteria and viruses. Airports and airplanes are some of the most germ filled, nasty places you can find. Almost as bad as a college campus when all of the freshmen come back from christmas break.

For information on Pneumonia: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001200/

It is possible that I became exposed while in the hospital, after all...it's a hospital. People do not typically go to them when they are healthy right? I also believe it was partly my fault for not using my breathing thingy-ma-bobber like I was supposed to. I misinterpreted the instructions and wasn't doing it enough. Be sure to do your breathing exercises at least 10 times per hour. Not ten time per day. oops.

Pneumonia is not uncommon, but it is not common either. As as you have access to antibiotics you should be fine. It is definitely nothing to play around with. If you start to get sick, get yourself to a doctor!

Yes, I believe it was simply from the traveling. When you compromise your body's defenses (i.e. have surgery) your immune system is thrown out of whack and is gonna be working hard to fix what you just did to it (i.e. removing part of a vital organ). This opens up your body to opportunistic infections caused by all sorts of stuff, such as fungi, bacteria and viruses. Airports and airplanes are some of the most germ filled, nasty places you can find. Almost as bad as a college campus when all of the freshmen come back from christmas break.

For information on Pneumonia: http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001200/

It is possible that I became exposed while in the hospital, after all...it's a hospital. People do not typically go to them when they are healthy right? I also believe it was partly my fault for not using my breathing thingy-ma-bobber like I was supposed to. I misinterpreted the instructions and wasn't doing it enough. Be sure to do your breathing exercises at least 10 times per hour. Not ten time per day. oops.

What "thingy-ma-bobber" are you talking about? Is this something you have to do after surgery? I haven't heard anything about breathing exercises, can you explain?

There's this thing that has a tube with a mouthpiece, attached to a plastic device with three chambers in it. Each chamber has a ball. You inhale and the balls go up. The goal is to work up to being able to do all three. This measures you lung capacity and helps keep you breathing deep breaths and replenish your strength as well as keeps your Oxygen levels up.

There's this thing that has a tube with a mouthpiece, attached to a plastic device with three chambers in it. Each chamber has a ball. You inhale and the balls go up. The goal is to work up to being able to do all three. This measures you lung capacity and helps keep you breathing deep breaths and replenish your strength as well as keeps your Oxygen levels up.

Thanks! Of the tons and tons of post I've read, your is the first that I had heard anything about that before.

Any advise for a soon to sleever?

Thanks,