Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sweet tooth and sleeve surgery

It's funny. At first, I was considering RNY for the same reason.

Eventually, I decided to go with the sleeve. As fate's sense of humor would have it, I'm one of the tiny percentage of VSG people who dumps on sugar. The docs don't know why, but about 1/3 of the time, if I eat something with sugar, I will be sweating, shaking, heart palpitations, and eventually, after an hour or two, I will slimy up everything I have eaten in hours.

You don't want to dump. Trust me.

The beauty of VSG is that it changes how you feel about food, what you crave, and how much you want. I can eat one occaisional peice of something sweet, and be satisfied; I can leave the rest sitting on my plate (Really!) without wanting to finish it. And it pisses me off when I take one flipping bite of cake, and feel like crap until it all comes up. (It doesn't happen every time, and I am stupid, so I do try to eat a bite of sweet or two about once a month).

Hi,

I am dreading dumping! I have experienced that because I had my sigmoid colon out. Sometimes if I eat salad or something I shouldn't I feel like I am going to die and sometimes wish at that moment I would, beacause of the symptoms you describe. It pisses me off even now so I am sure I will be double pissed if that happens! I had my preop ed class yesterday. They said in the 2nd stage to eat yogurt. But when I went to the store today (surgery is Monday) all of the yougurts I looked at had sugar. I looked for Greek-same thing and I didn't find any no sugar or splenda yogurt.. How did you handle that? Thanks for responding :D.

For yogurt, you can just buy the plain, and add sugar-free jam and/or syrups and/or splenda. There are also some low carb yogurts (Fred Meyer carries has a store brand low-carb version), but to me they're WAY too sweet - I generally mixed a tablespoon or two of the flavored into plain greek yogurt.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with Kefir - I started drinking it about a year ago but had to give it up for the carbs. It might make a good base occasionally for a smoothie, but I'd have to watch the carbs. Good Protein value though.

Ugh - the quote button won't work for me!

snapback.png

dragon, on September 29, 2011 - 6:17 AM, said:The beauty of VSG is that it changes how you feel about food, what you crave, and how much you want. I can eat one occaisional peice of something sweet, and be satisfied; I can leave the rest sitting on my plate (Really!) without wanting to finish it. And it pisses me off when I take one flipping bite of cake, and feel like crap until it all comes up. (It doesn't happen every time, and I am stupid, so I do try to eat a bite of sweet or two about once a month).

I envy you that change. I don't think my struggles with sweets are over. For the most part the cravings are well under control, but I credit that more to low-carb, high-Protein than to the surgery. But when faced with something yummy and chocolatey, I'm just as likely to eat too much of it and end up regretting it, even now. Granted, "too much" is WAY less than it used to be, but it's quite a bit more than one bite. This is definitely an issue I have to fix by myself - the surgery's not going to do it for me.

For yogurt, you can just buy the plain, and add sugar-free jam and/or syrups and/or splenda. There are also some low carb yogurts (Fred Meyer carries has a store brand low-carb version), but to me they're WAY too sweet - I generally mixed a tablespoon or two of the flavored into plain greek yogurt.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with Kefir - I started drinking it about a year ago but had to give it up for the carbs. It might make a good base occasionally for a smoothie, but I'd have to watch the carbs. Good Protein value though.

Thanks for the helpful ways to perk up yogurt without the sugar!!!

I was never really a sweets person but I was definately was a carb person. chips, Potatoes, Pasta, especially white rice, sauces, gravies, breads, etc... All of these turn into sugar in your body (or your body turns them into sugar, don't remember). So, in a roundabout way, I was a sugar-holic. Since my sleeve on 10/19/11, I have not really wanted any of the high carb things. They don't look or smell appealing anymore. The only thing that I really cannot be around is Dorito's or Tostito's. The smell makes me instantly want to tackle the person holding them and just eat them until I'm sick. My solution - go into the other room or just move away from the person eating them.

I would never consider the RNY. My main reason for getting the sleeve is to be healthy. The malabsorption and potential malnutrition that is caused by the RNY was just not what I would consider healthy.

I am falling in love with my sleeve more and more every day. I'm not really losing weight very fast but I am losing size. I went into the hospital in a tight 24W and today, 22 days later, I am in a lose size 20W.

Shae