Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reasonably priced Drs in the US for Self payers?

My Doctor in Idaho is charging about $11,000.00 for everything. This also includes 1 year follow-up/fills.

Thanks so much lap banders. I am considering Dr. Sanchez. From the

information I have read and heard from others, he seems to be a great

surgeon and concerned about his patients. But, my preference would

be to stay in the US. "But, sometimes we have to do what's best for us

at the time.

One of my greater concerns is returning to work, shortly after surgery.

I have consider several other places, but the wait time is unbelievable.

Again, thank each you for your reply.

Bet

Hi, Has anyone had a surgery in Great Falls Montana? I haven't been able to find out the cost of going to a surgeon there. I live in N.W. MT. There's a doc that does it for 19k in Idaho. But I was hoping someone could tell me if it was cheaper for them in Mt. My husband is totally against Mexico, so that's out. Thanks for any help. nanabanna

15K outpaitent .... Dr Fisher ....their place was given the title as a center of excellence I think by Inamed ............ Las Vegas NV

http://www.locateadoc.com/folio.cfm/sid/46/id/361480

This is Koala's DH here... in a hurry and don't want to logout and log back in.

FWIW, Dr. Fisher was trained on the Lap-band by Dr. Ortiz and he thinks "very highly of him" . We learned this while speaking with him before my surgery.

We had previously called Dr. Fisher's office for fill info for a band placed by someone else. He wants $3,000 up front and...well, we forgot how much per fill after we heard the initial fee. So, there doesn't seem to be any reciprocity there.

Since $15K seems to be the average price for a lap-band in the US, I can't see why anyone would fly to Las Vegas to have it done.

I will say this about surgery at the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana. Any surgeon in the United States would be PROUD to own that clinic.

Cost was the reason we looked into Dr. Ortiz. After the experience, it's way, way, way down on the list.

Very few times in life can you have access to one of the best surgeons for a procedure in the world...at any price...then have his personal cellphone number after the surgery!

My surgeon, Dr. Thomas Lavin in Covington, LA, has a self-pay, outpatient program for $12,900, which covers the surgeon, anesthesia, a 23-hour hospital stay and 1 year of follow-up care/fills.

www.whyweight.com

Dr. Lavin is a wonderful surgeon and was one of the first 4 proctors for Inamed. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

FYI - I heard through the grapevine that this price may be going up soon but I have yet to call his office so that they may confirm or deny.

Koala I didn't go to Fisher ...... I went to Mexico to DR Joya..... the 3000 surcharge Dr Fisher charges may not be legal and I am looking into that.......I live in Las Vegas and I have have spoke to people where he was nasty in his tone about Mexican docs.....he would be the last person to give me a fill........but I must say he is a good doc .........

Hi Drewslou,

I have an appointment in Denver with Dr.S in Sept. I am in Colo.Springs. The ONLY thing I am worried about is insurance acceptance. Could you give me the info you have on the 9,900. amount. I would feel so much at peace if I have a back-up plan.

Thank you, Michelle

I can give you my e-mail if you would like.

Hi ,

I am having my surgery this Thursday August 17th), self pay for $11,000. this includes a year of fills and after that fills for $100.00. I live in Pocatello, Idaho and will drive 30 minutes north to Blackfoot. Idaho Falls another 30 minutes north of Blackfoot will do it for nearly the same price.

the 3000 surcharge Dr Fisher charges may not be legal and I am looking into that

If it's a self-pay situation for elective surgery, a doctor can charge whatever they want. This is quite obviously a "don't want to mess with you" charge. It would be interesting to hear if he has anything negative to say about his Lap-band proctor.

I do not doubt the technical skill of either Dr. Fisher nor Dr. Teng here in Las Vegas. (Dr. Teng was Chief Resident at Cedars Sinai and is an amazing laparascopic surgeon. He operated on me and we would not hesitate to return to him for anything covered by insurance.)

In the WLS department, they are primarily gastric bypass surgeons and their practices are geared towards that.

We didn't really appreciate hearing "you cannot lose all the weight you want to lose with the band" from both of them (or members of their staff) when quite obviously there are plenty of people who have lost that amount of weight. That was one of the reasons why we just decided to pay for it on our own: the attitude of the surgeon doing the operation. I don't know what causes it, but it looks like there is an obvious bias towards bypass and against the band.

Naturally, they don't mention the bypass patients who tend to lose a lot of weight, very quickly, then start to regain it in a few years after their body has adapted to the injury caused by the operation.

Anyone notice Carnie Wilson and Randy Jackson lately? Any bets as to when they will get a Band Over Bypass?

Of course, after we told a few people we were going to Mexico, we heard quite a bit about "well, there's someone here in Vegas who will do it for $12K/$10K/$8K..." from people who hadn't looked into it.

I can't see any reason to fly to Las Vegas to have a Lap-Band installed, especially if you have a high BMI.

I felt a lot the same way. I am healthy as a horse so I did not think the insurance would take care of me. Therefore, I had to look at Mexico cause I am not made out of money.......fat is more like it. So, I talked it over with my hubby and he was ok with whatever I decided to do. So, I went to MX and for $9000 I had the surgery and my airline tickets left. I really did feel like I was in good hands. I have told NOBODY but my husband. So, just take a trip to San Diego on vacation with someone or by yourself and just do it. I am so happy I did it. I hate that I spent that money because we could have done so much, but if it helps me lose this, it will be worth so much more than anything else I could have done with it. Therefore, I say DO IT.

God bless in your decisions,

Wild

Hello Lap Band Community:

I need your HELP? I'm probably going to be a self-pay because my insurance won't cover it. Am considering going to Mexico, obviously, but can already hear my family and friends questions!!!!

Does anyone know of any Drs. in the US that do the surgery for $10K preferably in TEXAS, but I'm willing to travel.

Please give your input. I want this surgery done as soon as possible.

Bet

I went to Dr. Kuri in Tijuana, Mexico. He and his team were great. The total cost was $9,000 which included a one nite stay in the hospital and another stay at a top notch hotel. He had a driver pick you up and take you back to the airport. In my group there were people from California, Indiana, South Carolina, and Arizona.

Hi, I know how your feeling about going out of the u.s. for lap-band surgery, I was nervous too! but, I weight the pros and the cons checked out everything and went to predras negras mexico, my Dr, was Dr, Jose Rodriquez a very good Doctor. its 2 hrs south of san antonio tx. i was banded july 22nd,2006 so far ive lost 14 lbs.My surgery cost $8000.00, do what ever you think is right ...Good Luck ;)