Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just received a little 2-yr anniversary reminder so I thought I'd pop in and share my story to add to the impressive collection here!

Two years out and I can honestly say I don't even think about wls or what the daily struggle of obesity was like. I would have never believed that would be true because the pre-op process and uncertainty was so emotional and all-consuming. My first year was not as hard as I thought it would be. I followed my postoperative diet to the letter through about 8 months. Around that time I started allowing myself some leeway because I had lost almost all the weight and I began training for my first marathon.

On November 7, 2010 I completed the NYC Marathon, 53 weeks after surgery. I thought getting wls was life-changing, running the NYC marathon on a beautiful November day a year after struggling to walk a mile was more than I could have ever dreamed of for myself.

In year 2 I maintained my weight but actually leaned out more because I started Crossfit and was developing muscles I didn't even know I had. In may I did the Tough Mudder, a 10-mile obstacle course on mount snow that included 7,000 feet of climbing. Once again, something I could have never believed was possible.

Last month I had abdominoplasty (self pay). The downtime has been tough and I've had to reign it in with calories because I don't have the exercise to offset it. I have clearance to start running now and I'm thrilled to be getting back to working out.

I still have good restriction. I would say I'm still at half a sandwich for capacity. That's just fine with me. It was tighter in the first year and gradually relaxed. I'm not concerned because it's been pretty stable this last year and as long as I don't continuously eat to full capacity I can't see my volume significantly increasing. The beauty of this surgery is that it gave me time to retrain my mind and what a portion for me should be.

I am so thankful for vsg and the chance its given me to live an active, happy life. I am training for my next tough mudder in November and the goofy challenge at Disney in January. I knew when I had this surgery that this was my chance to turn my life around and I try to do the best I can.

I wish everyone beginning this journey success, happiness, and the freedom I have been so fortunate to experience. I wish all the veterans continued success.

Thanks for checking in. You keep us motivated

Beaglemama, thank you for your post! How wonderful everything you have accomplished! Congratulations! Best of luck with your trainings and marathons! Enjoy your new life!!!

Thanks!

I know it's so hard to believe when you're beginning the process that the day will come where food doesn't control your life but it will happen if you work with the sleeve. There will be so many "wow" moments coming your way. Vsg has been an incredible tool for me. I know it is that -- a tool -- because I can gain weight just like before if I eat consistently poorly and slack off on activity but it saves me from the free falls with eating that used to control my life.

I have a question for newbies: when I went to my 1-yr follow up I asked my surgeon if insurance was covering the sleeve more. He said patients were still having a lot of problems getting it covered. I don't see my surgeon again until the end of October but I was wondering if insurance companies were coming around. It makes me sad that people are denied a life-saving procedure pushed into a different procedure because of coverage.

Your story is amazing and right on the day I will meet my surgeon for the first time. Thanks so much for coming back to the site and posting.

If you wish, please elaborate about struggling to walk a mile years ago and how many pounds you lost. It will be great to know where you were years ago in comparison to this fantastic athlete you have become!

Aetna covers VSG. Seems many others are as well.

Fantastic achievements!!!!!!! So proud of you in completing a marathon - that is truly a marvelous accomplishment.

Here's to your continued success and happiness!!

Yea more insurance is covering it. I had the Sleeve 2 weeks after I met the Dr. Insurance covered it that fast for me. Your story is great!

I'm so glad to hear insurance covers it more. I was lucky mine was covered no appeal. I later found out it was an error of bcbs but thankfully they didn't give me a hassle. Papa Jack, that's awesome you got yours so quickly!

Longer-life: I lost a total of 107 lbs from pre-op to my lowest weight. I maintain within 5 lbs or so fluctuating daily. I am 5'5" and was 257 lbs. Even though my surgeon considered that to be "light-weight" I felt every ounce of it. My back, feet, and knees were in constant pain. I was in my 30s but in a 80-year-old body. I remember my rock bottom was trying to go for a walk with my husband and dogs and was son out of breath and in so much pain that I went back to the car and cried.

I started with short walks a few days after surgery (10 min, then 15 min, etc). I also started with strength work early on and I do think it helped with loose skin on my arms. My surgeon and I disagreed about doing strength work, he wanted me to do all cardio, but I'm really glad it's the one thing I didn't listen to him on.

I started doing run/walk intervals 2 months later (about 50 lbs down then I think), first very slow and much more walking than running. I worked on that and did a 5k in march straight through. After that I did a 10k and then a half in may (which was too soon, I wasn't ready at all). I started training in July for the marathon with an 18-week program and I can honestly say I was very well prepared on race day. I beat Jared from Subway by a half hour, haha! (that was a constant joke through all my training, Jared and I were actually in the same hotel and we congratulated each other the next day when we were both wearing our jackets. So silly!)

I'm sure more than you needed to know but in answer to your question, I truly went from not being able to walk a mile to running lots of them! Very best wishes on your journey! Can't wait to read YOUR success story!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! It's so hard to find any long term data on VSG. This gives me hope for long term success. Still waiting for my surgery date but I'm working the process ... and hope to soon be working my sleeve.

Hi Beaglemamma,

Thank you for your encouraging post! You are such an inspiration to all of us! My insurance company didn't pay for the lap band, but it paid 100% for the revision to sleeve...and I had no complications with the band other than poor weight loss. I think insurance companies like the sleeve and are paying for it more.

Thanks again!!

Beaglemamma,

I love your "name" and I'm a dog lover too - beagles are wonderful! Sorry, I degress.

Your post is so encouraging I could cry! I am 5'9" tall and weigh 238; I have problems walking more than 3 to 5 minutes at a time. VSG hopefully will help me be more mobile. It is so meaningful to read your story! To know that this made such a significant difference in someone's life is more than amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Congrats on the outcomes of your hard work!!! Wow, and you beat out Jared... If you eat at Subway, there could be commercials in you life... :D

thank you so much for sharing your stories they are so imformative and give me alot of encouragement. I too have started running and getting to like it a little better each day. I am going to try my luck at a 5K next month and start moving up and outside as soon as the weather gets a little cooler out here.

lyn

So Awesome! Thank you for sharing!