Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to a conference where meals are provided

My meeting is next week, we don't have time to leave for meals. What do I do? Pull a jar of baby food outa my purse? I will only be 3 weeks post op then. I don't want to make a big deal about it in front of strangers. Any suggestions?

My meeting is next week, we don't have time to leave for meals. What do I do? Pull a jar of baby food outa my purse? I will only be 3 weeks post op then. I don't want to make a big deal about it in front of strangers. Any suggestions?

Just drink your shake, and if anyone has anything to say, just tell them you are trying to loose some weight. Most people will just move on!

If you can't eat the food in the provided meals, then bring something small and easy to pack for your meal. That's not making a big deal of it.. Just whip yours out and eat when every one else does. That kind of stuff happens all the time. If anyone asks, you can just say "I'm on a really restrictive diet". Focus on the conversation not your food and all but the rudest people will follow your lead. If you go with baby food, you can pour it in a bowl or cup and spoon it from that. It will be much less noticeable than spooning it from the jar. You can also just have a canned Protein drink.

If you are staying at a hotel, call ahead and see if they have refrigerators. If they don't have in-room refrigerators, you can tell them that you have a medical condition that requires you to eat a specific diet and you have some foods that must be refrigerated. That way you could also enjoy yogurt, cottage cheese or other soft foods that aren't shelf stable.

Make sure you are getting your Fluid and Protein in.

Lynda

I am getting sleeved 10/7/11 and going to a 3 day conference 11/9 11/10 11/11 Then driving to a 3 day scrapbooking crop. I will pack my Protein Shakes, yogurt, small cottage cheese. Will pack down a small insulated lunchbag so I can take things with me for the day. My Dr increases your diet texture pretty quick if all is going well so I hope I am on regular food and will be able to pick at the protien on the plates. I have decided not to worry or lose any sleep over this. Our life will go on we just need to do a little planning, Tell people you have severe food allergies what they don't know won't hurt them. Good luck enjoy your seminar

I also attended a work-related conference shortly after surgery. I was on the all liquid phase. I took several pre-made Protein drinks in my checked luggage. I also took several Protein Drink packages divided between carry on and checked luggage. I used the coffee pot to make hot Water in the hotel room. At the conference itself, I used the hot Water put out for tea. I will admit that I chose not to stay for the "sit down" served meals. I just told the group I had to return some phone calls and excused myself. If anyone noticed I wasn't eating, I told them I was having some stomach issues and was on a very limited diet. Very few people paid any attention to me. I also used the "too much work" excuse to opt out of group dinners in the evening.

I was very tired after surgery and used the lunch time to return to my room and lay down for an hour. That was the best!

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Marie

Its all about the brown bag :-)

Put the baby food in a tupperware container and no one will know the difference. Tell them you are on a diet - it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just make sure to bring all your supplies so you are not caught out while you are there. Enjoy the ice Water and iced tea that they serve.

Where I work, people just came to accept that I had food in almost every meeting - yogurt, cottage cheese, runny oatmeal, etc.

i have been living off string cheese! at 3 weeks out! eat real slow and chew chew chew, but, I was filled up from that and grab some ready make Protein Shakes, yogurt is really good, I also got campbells on the go Soups, broccoli and cheese and cream of chicken, those soups are way filling. I could only do half. good luck!

Hotels will typically accomodate any diet restrictions too. A Conf. I went to a woman a few table away was served a bowl of chicken noodle Soup instead of the salad and baked chicken the rest of us were served. I don't know what the deal was I just noticed and moved on LOL