Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks out: What I Wish I knew Then (i.e. pre-op)

There's such great information here! I just wanted to share a couple of things from my experience.

As I was waking up from the anesthesia, I was HORRIBLY nauseous. I remember what seemed like a whole team of people around me, checking on how I was doing and administering medications to make me feel better. The rest of the time I was in the hospital, pain and nausea were well under control. It definitely felt like I'd had surgery though. Getting in and out of bed to walk the floor HURT, but was doable. I was also so sleepy it was a challege to stay awake enough to get my liquids in.

My surgeon didn't do a leak test either, so I was able to have ice chips immediately post-op. (YAY!!) My mouth and throat were always dry though. I was actually grateful for my CPAP machine the first night because of the humidifier!

I was also grateful for the catheter, saving me from having to constantly get unhooked from everything and get in and out of bed - it's a fairly substantial production. You've got the pressure cuffs on your legs, the morphine/IV drip, the bp / pulse oximiter, the catheter tubing, plus probably a couple of ice packs, and the nurse call button.

I found removal of the catheter and the drain port to be no big deal - just minor discomfort.

I was weaned off IV pain and nausea meds before I went home from the hospital and transitioned to oral meds, felt great, and was impatient to be on my way - it seemed to take forever. Apparently it didn't take long enough, I ended up with a horrific rebound headache and nausea once I got home, and it was a real challenge for about an hour to get it under control - lots of cold washcloths, ice chips, and frantic meds. After that I was fine. Have liquid tylenol on hand - it was ok to take in addition to the prescription pain meds (FOR ME - don't do this without checking!), and then I used it as I transitioned off the prescription pain meds.

I wasn't able to sleep even on my side for at least 3 weeks, and on my stomach was completely out of the question. For at least two weeks I had major insomnia - could never sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. My surgeon advised that getting of the oxycodone would help with that, and I think it did.

I stayed really swollen / bloated for about 3 weeks, so much so that I had trouble fitting into my pre-op work clothes to go back to work.

For some reason I tended to chill easily the first few weeks. I'd get up in the middle of the night for a dose of pain meds and end up shaking all over and teeth chattering until I got warmed up again. I was also really emotional from the anesthesia / pain meds / etc.

I'm now almost 11 weeks out, I feel great, and it was all completely worth it!!

Its so interesting to me how different everyone's experience is! Some have drains, catheters, some dont. Some have more pain than others. There are so many variables to consider. Its such a unique experience and this thread proves that! I didnt have a catheter but I wasnt up every 5 minutes peeing. I peed when I got up to walk about every couple hours but I slept most of the night and would only go pee when they came and did my vitals or gave me meds. I never vomited at all. I was more sore and kind of zonked at home. I had NO energy at all for the first few days after surgery.

Just thought it was neat to hear the different experiences!

I had no catheter, but did have a drain. I got no real pain meds, just tylenol -- but I didn't have much pain so that was okay. I didn't have any gas pain at all. I did have pretty bad dry heaves for a couple of days, but they cleared up suddenly and never returned. I had no pre-op diet, and my post-op was to move to full foods nearly straightaway. Which worked fine for me, I never had a problem with eating or drinking. I have not had any problems with head hunger hardly at all, I have had actual hunger to deal with -- still do. But it's manageable, so not a big deal. Overall, am having a great sleeve experience thus far!

Also - i was off work for over a month, just how my doctor does things. I think that helped though. Good luck getting the energy back!!

I forgot to mention DEPRESSION! UGH! UGH! UGH!

My relationship with food has totally changed. I use to live to eat and now I literally eat to live. I eat like a thin person and have no choice, so that is a HUGE adjustment. Anyhoo, I'm much better now, but the first 3 months were tough :(

Great thread!

I went into surgery thinking that I have had laproscopic surgery before, this shouldn't be too much different. It was! I was in a lot of pain, gas and incision pain for two days. They would disconnect me from the iv to go to the bathroom and forget to hook me back up, so no pain meds at times. I wasn't able to walk very much because every time I tried, I would get feverish, nauseous and start having dry heaves. Not fun. No catheter, drain coming out was a piece of cake. No pain meds after 6 days. 2 weeks out and I've eaten fish, ground turkey, cheese, a wiener, and no problems. The only thing that did bother me was milky Protein Shakes at first. Clear ones were fine. Honestly,, I don't FEEL a lot different, other than I don't get hungy, and I don't eat much. I treated my second week off from work like a holiday and we went boating, camping visiting etc. With the odd nap. I'm back to work now, and feel normal.

I had no pain-no cath--but I had a drain

I woke up from surgery and threw up blood--then about an hour later I had the dry heaves for a few minutes--that was it--I haven't taken any of the pain meds I was given--I don't even think they were putting them in my iv bag (since I never asked for any) I got up about every 4 hours and peed and walked a little--

The nurse came in and asked me to get on my side while I was dry heaving--then she proceeded to hit me on the back--all over--like she was burping me--it felt soooooo good, I am still having hubby do it--although I really haven't even had any gas pains (it just feels good--lol)

I barely got finished taking a deep breath when the drain was out--didn't really feel anything

All I really felt was like I had done some sit ups--that was it--my belly is yellow and purple bruises but they don't hurt either!!

I slept almost all of the next day--then felt fine--we actually rented a car and drove from Tijuna to Vegas and spent the day gambling--then drove to Texas(I even drove some)--all while I was supposed to be in the hotel--I just couldn't lay there anymore--I felt fine, and was bored senseless.

The only problem I have had is that the Dr told me to drink some gatorade every day while on liquids--and once I do, I almost have to be in the bathroom-- (TMI) All that potting made my butt a little sore, so I got some of those moist wipes and diaper rash meds and it is a lot better

Dr Kelly gave me a note for two weeks off work, but I could have went back on Monday after having the surgery on Wed.

As you can see, everyone is really different

Thank you all for the great input! My revision surgery is still months away but the more information I have, the better. Your posts have added some questions to the list I have for surgeon. :lol: All good stuff. Thanks again.

This has been the most informative post that I have read since starting my research into the Rny and the sleeve...Thank you all for sharing...and good luck on your journey to be healthy!

I just had my surgery this past Thursday. This is my first full day home. As with what everyone else said, we are all different. I had HORRIBLE gas pains at the beginning. No matter how bad you feel, WALK. I thought they were crazy, but they were right. Walking does wonders.

I didn't/haven't had any nausea, but one of the other patients I was with had a terrible time with it. In fact, she stayed in the hospital an additional day. It is good to remember about the liquids. I have been focusing on the Protein today, but I see I need to focus more on liquids instead. Thanks for all the good information.