Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many minutes between bites of food?

I am supposed to wait 3 minutes between bites, so that my tummy has a chance to feel full. I have found this really hard to do, especially for my lunch at work. I have been eating slower than I did before but not the 3 minutes in-between bites and my sleeve still gets full rather quickly. Am I hurting my sleeve or weight loss if I don't wait the three minutes?

I used to sit and time myself and make sure i waited 2 minutes between bites. . . that was in the beginning, now at 21 months out I eat and when I'm done, I'm done. . .I'm back to normal living and sometimes it takes me only 10 minutes to finish 1 cup of food or depending on what it is, it can take up to 15 minutes. . I don't time myself anymore.

Boy, 3 minutes? That's a new one on me. It seems not only impractical but impossible as your meal size will increase. I wait a few SECONDS between bites. I may pause after a few bites for a few minutes but then resume the same pace. I also drink while I eat too, I just cannot choke down food without a beverage.

I must be doing something right, see the ticker below for my current progress.

Boy, 3 minutes? That's a new one on me. It seems not only impractical but impossible as your meal size will increase. I wait a few SECONDS between bites. I may pause after a few bites for a few minutes but then resume the same pace. I also drink while I eat too, I just cannot choke down food without a beverage.

I must be doing something right, see the ticker below for my current progress.

wow rootman, you are doing excellent! what great progress you are making! Keep up the great work! I drink with my food too, but i'm finding lately that it's either one or the other, because i fill up way too fast. . .weird, may need to talk to the doctor about that soon cause my bougie was really small 28/32F and i just hope i'm not scarring up. . . ugh. . .

I can't wait that long between bites, but I'm still measuring my food and undereating my sleeve. I would rather measure for the rest of my life than take that long to eat! I don't wolf it down and I'm chewing very thoroughly, but 3 minutes? No way!

In the begining, maybe the first couple of months, I used to time myself and wait a couple of minutes. I have a REAL BIG fear of getting sick from eating too fast or too much!!

I eat a lot faster than I did then at 4 months out, but I still wait about 30 seconds in between bites. I measure my food and undereat my sleeve.

Kelly ;)

When were you sleeved?

I think I'm typical. In the beginning I actually used an egg timer because it hurt if I ate too fast. Now, just shy of 6 months out I eat pretty much as I did before. I think the thing that changed more is that I do think I take smaller bites and chew much better. I also measure my food and when I'm done, I'm done. But I have a pretty small capacity yet and pretty much have to stop.

I have tested this and I really don't see any difference between putting time between bites or just eating. food doesn't digest that fast and if you can only hold 4 ounces, you can only hold 4 ounces.

I slowed my eating way down in the beginning but now it has picked back up. This doesn’t cause me any issues and I know how much my pouch can hold of the food I cook so I just portion out that amount. I’m sure that many people still eat slow but I just can’t do it. If I eat something new I do eat it slow though until I learn how much of it I can eat. The point of this is to give yourself the chance to feel satisfied and/or have restriction kick in. I just portion out less than it would take for restriction and that works for me.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, ShoppGirl said:

I slowed my eating way down in the beginning but now it has picked back up. This doesn’t cause me any issues and I know how much my pouch can hold of the food I cook so I just portion out that amount. I’m sure that many people still eat slow but I just can’t do it. If I eat something new I do eat it slow though until I learn how much of it I can eat. The point of this is to give yourself the chance to feel satisfied and/or have restriction kick in. I just portion out less than it would take for restriction and that works for me.

Just wondering what size portions you are doing. I weigh out my portions, but don’t wait between bites. Right now I usually have 2-3 oz Protein and 1-2 oz veg. My calories are around 800 a day and I’m a little over a month from surgery. I’m hoping I’m doing things right and am hopeful that the sleeve will help me to not overeat.

7 hours ago, OutdoorsGirl said:

Just wondering what size portions you are doing. I weigh out my portions, but don’t wait between bites. Right now I usually have 2-3 oz Protein and 1-2 oz veg. My calories are around 800 a day and I’m a little over a month from surgery. I’m hoping I’m doing things right and am hopeful that the sleeve will help me to not overeat.

That sounds about where I was at your stage. Now I can eat quite a bit more. Like a full slice of cauliflower pizza or a whole burrito. Basically around what things say as one serving size. Sometimes a little less. But I am 8 months out.