Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On my way to a stingray Liver

A stingray liver is what my doc calls our liver after it has been shrunk by the pre-op diet. Force the body to use up the glycogen stores in the muscles and liver and throw us in to ketosis.

Thank goodness I only need to be on it for six days!

My surgery is next Wednesday on 9/14 and I'm on day three of the pre-op diet. I can handle hungry but the low carb thing is making me thick headed and draining my energy and a head ache to boot.

I'm hanging in there but I'm a single parent this week with my wife out of town. I ran a red light lastnight because I was spacing out. It was a left turn so not a huge deal but still...

In some ways I can't wait until the surgery is over so I can have some carbs again!

Just venting, Thanks for listening :rolleyes:

I know that pre-op diet is rough. Take care of yourself!!!! No more playing chicken with the red lights!!!:D

The first few days are the hardest, but you CAN do it!!! I'm on day 5. My surgery is the 19th. I almost broke down and ate a few times, but I didn't. Sobe lifewater saved me! I chugged the whole bottle then took a nap.

Please be careful with the driving!

A stingray liver is what my doc calls our liver after it has been shrunk by the pre-op diet. Force the body to use up the glycogen stores in the muscles and liver and throw us in to ketosis.

My surgery is next Wednesday on 9/14 and I'm on day three of the pre-op diet. I can handle hungry but the low carb thing is making me thick headed and draining my energy and a head ache to boot.

I'm hanging in there but I'm a single parent this week with my wife out of town. I ran a red light lastnight because I was spacing out. It was a left turn so not a huge deal but still...

In some ways I can't wait until the surgery is over so I can have some carbs again!

Hey Skinny, The way my doctor does it is he has you come in for a pre-op either 2 weeks (diabetic) or 1 week (everyone else) before your surgery. At the pre-op, they go over the diet and send you home with everything you are allowed to eat so there is no guess work.. It's about 650 to 800 cals a day and totally no carb. Outside of provided diet, I can have sugar-free Jello, sugar-free Popsicle and various sugar free drinks like crystal light.

Four meals a day are an 8oz shake or bowl of broth. I can have one NutriMed bar a day as well.

The second day was the worse for me, once your body hits ketosis, it's a lot easier. I felt hungry and craved food but the headache and sluggishness have subsided.

My doc is much stricter i guess. he wants me to loose 5 lbs before check in to pre op and then another 10 before surgery. and i have to do a liq diet for 2 weeks and i am not a diabetic. thanks for the information

Hey Skinny. I had my surgery on the 30th of August. I had to do 2 weeks before of Optifast which is a Protein drink, and was aloud Water 60 oz and that was it.

Now that I had the surgery I am still on liquids. Protein shakes which I can't stand. Try and obtain 50-60 grams of Protein from just them. I also can have diet Jello, and chicken broth. I am almost a total of 4 weeks like this, and it is definitely getting the best of me.

I just tried a little sugar free applesauce which was okay with the stomach and from what I have been reading a lot of people 2 weeks out have started to add some ricotta cheese or yogurt. High protein, low fat no carb.

You mention carbs. It is going to be a while before your stomach will be able to handle the straight carb like rice and such. It has to be the hardest thing, but we do can do it.

Good luck with your surgery. I am 2 weeks out tomorrow and 16 pounds down..

M..

Pre op is the worst! I only had to do clears for two days. It was awful. Hang in there.

I'm sorry to hear that the low-carb is hitting you so hard. For my PSWL I was required to go low-carb (under 30g per day) and the first two weeks were horrible! It is like that because you are going through what they call "carb withdrawal". Since you are about to have surgery it doesn't really matter, but it does get a lot easier. I found that drinking Powerade ZERO really helped with the energy and helped me feel better overall. Now, I've been low-carb for 4 months and my energy levels are definitely normal again.

Good luck!