Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating when losing 50+ pounds

I was sleeved on August 9th 2011 and find I am eating a lot more than I expected I could. I am wondering if this is typical. I can't eat large amounts of food at one time but I can eat a half can of tuna and one piece of Whole Wheat toast at a sitting...This seems like a lot more than I thought I would be able to consume. My weight loss is going slow but the doctor said he wants it to go slow as I don't have to lose a huge amount of weight and the slower it goes the better for me. Does anyone else find this situation to be the same with eating?

I am 11 weeks out and am starting to find that I can eat 3/4 cup of most foods at one sitting. I am worried this is too much so early out too so anxious to see peoples responses to your post! Can we stretch the sleeve out?

I'm 12 weeks out, and yes I can eat about 3/4 to 1 full cup most of the time. It does scare me a little, but I figure controlling myself now is good practice for the rest of my life. Hopefully!!

I am 8 months out and I don't know how much I can eat. My portion size for beef is 2 oz, I eat one egg, or 4 large shrimp, or 3 small broccoli florets, or 1/4 of a large peach. I could probably eat more but I don't. I am satisfied with portions like these and don't want to have that "full" feeling again. I ate until I was "full" for twenty years. It's time for me to do something new now, and it's working for me. I weigh or measure everything and journal everything.

I am 11 weeks out and am starting to find that I can eat 3/4 cup of most foods at one sitting. I am worried this is too much so early out too so anxious to see peoples responses to your post! Can we stretch the sleeve out?

I have been able to eat since the 2nd week out, I had no problems with food digestion and my doctor gave me the green light to eat anything I could tolerate. So far I can eat anything except I became lactose intolerant. It scares me that I can eat so easily. I see my doctor again on Wed. the 14th will post what he tells me. Thanks for your response I am also watching other peoples replies.

I'm 12 weeks out, and yes I can eat about 3/4 to 1 full cup most of the time. It does scare me a little, but I figure controlling myself now is good practice for the rest of my life. Hopefully!!

I agree control with be the big tool. I am working on that too I don't want to feel "full" again I like feeling satisfied and comfortable.

I am with Foxbins on this one!

My plan tells me to measure my food and I do. I eat 1/2 c of dense Protein, which is about 2-2.5 oz three times a day. I usually can finish it, but it depends on what it is. I try to eat a bite or two of veggies at dinner and a bite or two of fruit with Breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I can't, but I try. I always eat my Protein first and if I have room, I do.

Most of the time, I don't have room for anymore. If I ate sliders or didn't eat my protein first, I am sure I could eat ALOT more, but I follow the rules and therefore, I can't!

I sometimes have a couple Snacks during the day to bring my calories up.

Kelly ;)

I am 8 months out and I don't know how much I can eat. My portion size for beef is 2 oz, I eat one egg, or 4 large shrimp, or 3 small broccoli florets, or 1/4 of a large peach. I could probably eat more but I don't. I am satisfied with portions like these and don't want to have that "full" feeling again. I ate until I was "full" for twenty years. It's time for me to do something new now, and it's working for me. I weigh or measure everything and journal everything.

I don't do a formal journal, but follow a sheet for postop care. I am 13 weeks out, so still having some difficulty with dry meats cooked, and if I get too much Fluid or not wait a full 45 min to an hr before eating, I have problems with keeping food down. I do 2 Protein. shakes a day and try to eat about 300 cal more along with the shakes . As I get better, I do plan to journal more, but right now, I have to concentrate on the Proteins and keep fluids in my system. I did not have a lot to lose either, so dr said as long as I lose slow and steady I am good.. I am about halfway to goal now. 39.5 pounds down, with another 45 left to lose--working to get there! Carbs nail me every time, so I have to watch those with fervor. Otherwise, I am happy, and don't want to feel miserably full anymore!

I don't do a formal journal, but follow a sheet for postop care. I am 13 weeks out, so still having some difficulty with dry meats cooked, and if I get too much Fluid or not wait a full 45 min to an hr before eating, I have problems with keeping food down. I do 2 Protein. shakes a day and try to eat about 300 cal more along with the shakes . As I get better, I do plan to journal more, but right now, I have to concentrate on the Proteins and keep fluids in my system. I did not have a lot to lose either, so dr said as long as I lose slow and steady I am good.. I am about halfway to goal now. 39.5 pounds down, with another 45 left to lose--working to get there! Carbs nail me every time, so I have to watch those with fervor. Otherwise, I am happy, and don't want to feel miserably full anymore!

I agree about the carbs, I try to avoid them for the most part and concentrate on the Proteins also. I saw the doctor for my check up today and I've lost 10lbs since my surgery. The doctor was happy with that and said slow loss is better for me since I have less to lose. I can't do the Protein Shakes. For some reason they give me a stomache ache. The doctor said to get my Protein from my food instead. He also said that I can cut down the total protein from 75 grams to at least 50 grams. I am short only 4'10' and he said I don't need 75 grams of protein so I can stop stressing about getting so much protein. That was a relief for me as I have been feeling really worried about not getting enough protein. I also think that since I am not going to be eating constantly to consume so much protein I will see a better weight loss on my next visit.

It is all a learning experience, but one that I am so glad to be working on.

You are doing swell! As for the tummyache issue, it might be lactose intolerance doing it to you. Try mixing Almond Breeze milk into the Protein powder to see if that won't help; soymilk might also work but it has more calories in it than the Almond Breeze--I get both at costco for reasonable prices, and also my Protein out there is good, too. I use Muscle Milk lite in vanilla flavor to make my shakes with. Sometimes, I will add half of a banana to flavor it with--tastes very good! You could also try frozen blueberries in the shake which also is a nice tradeoff from plain vanilla. I think as you get farther along postop, you will do much better! :D

I am 5-6, and right now weigh 186. I started this journey as a revision surgery patient from RNY to sleeve in May of this year--a first for the doctor I had. Normally, they do band to sleeve revisions. My bypass failed 5 yrs ago and I had developed hypertension that I cannot be treated for with meds due to severe allergies to all of them! Weight loss is my only intervention--I feel better than I have in years! My goal is to maintain at 145-150. My weight at the onset of sleeve surgery was 223.5 pounds--at the time of bypass surgery in 2001, I was 264. I never wanna see those 200s EVER again!!!

It is great hearing from you, Dawn! Wishing continued success and keep me posted on your progress!

:rolleyes: Ronda

I agree about the carbs, I try to avoid them for the most part and concentrate on the Proteins also. I saw the doctor for my check up today and I've lost 10lbs since my surgery. The doctor was happy with that and said slow loss is better for me since I have less to lose. I can't do the Protein Shakes. For some reason they give me a stomache ache. The doctor said to get my protein from my food instead. He also said that I can cut down the total protein from 75 grams to at least 50 grams. I am short only 4'10' and he said I don't need 75 grams of protein so I can stop stressing about getting so much protein. That was a relief for me as I have been feeling really worried about not getting enough protein. I also think that since I am not going to be eating constantly to consume so much protein I will see a better weight loss on my next visit.

It is all a learning experience, but one that I am so glad to be working on.

I am looking for someone who has a specific eating plan to share. I had the surgery 3 weeks ago. I grew up eating meat and need help to make sure I get the right Protein etc.

I am looking for someone who has a specific eating plan to share. I had the surgery 3 weeks ago. I grew up eating meat and need help to make sure I get the right Protein etc.

I am in the same boat as Sherrilyles. I had my surgery Aug 20th and I started my soft food stage but I am so confused. I don't know what to eat and I have gotten some ideas from the forum. What I don't get is am I suppose to blend (puree) every single thing I eat? I can't see how to puree chicken or ground beef? I imagine it must look something awful plus does the tuna and tilapia need to be pureed too? What about macarroni and cheese would that be something I can eat? Does the chillie need to be blended too? I will be grateful for any suggestions.

I was sleeved on August 9th 2011 and find I am eating a lot more than I expected I could. I am wondering if this is typical. I can't eat large amounts of food at one time but I can eat a half can of tuna and one piece of Whole Wheat toast at a sitting...This seems like a lot more than I thought I would be able to consume. My weight loss is going slow but the doctor said he wants it to go slow as I don't have to lose a huge amount of weight and the slower it goes the better for me. Does anyone else find this situation to be the same with eating?

I am in the same boat. Medications..which I no longer take...assisted me with gaining back 13 lbs of the 100 and 50 to go. I admit I did not adhere to the drinking rule...none 30 mun before...during...or after meals. Hope is not too late cause I am following beginning today.

My nut said that by 1yr out I would be able to eat 1 cup at each meal. I'm a yr post op and I am eatin about a cup twice a day. I can't tolerate anything at Breakfast except my Protein Shake and I follow it up with a cup of coffee with Protein. I have at least 2 Snacks like 1 oz beef Jerky or a Greek yogurt with nuts added(sometimes it's too much). My nut said I need to up my animal protein but I'm struggling with that still. I TRY to keep each meal at about 250 cal with protein first. Do y'all ever get tired of eatin meat and just want a salad? ? I do A LOT! Good luck!!