Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very New - First Post

Well, I am very new to this entire process and new to forums. I just started this process in late June by attending the initial seminar, then this past week I had my initial appoitment with the sergon and staff. Because I my BMI is 38.9, I have to jump through the insurance hoops. My insurance has the requirment of six-months of a doctor supervised weight loss program and two medical issues related to weight. My fear right now is jumping through all the hoops and BAM! Insurance denial. But I guess that is a bridge I will need to cross when it's time.

As for the rest, I have only told very close friends and family that I am considering WLS. The reactions is what gets me the most. My good friend and co-worker was so positive. She knows I have struggled, we spent six months together working two days a week with a personal trainer. She lost thirty pounds, I ate my way through the exercise. Another "friend" told me to come over to her house and she would go through her pantry with me and show me how to make simple healthy choices. What? Seriously? I have two Masters degrees, do you think I am mentally retarded (sorry if I offend)? I KNOW what healthy eating looks like, I eat healthy (before 9 PM after that, it's all down hill). The last reaction is, "don't you think this is drastic?" Well, yes, yes it is drastic. I have tried for ten years to get back to a healthy weight and I keep gaining. I can no longer be trusted with a stomach.

Here's to the next six to eight months. I am going to keep a positive attitude and know that the best is yet to come.

I understand where you are coming from completely. My starting weight was 368 and a BMI of 50.6. I started the process 6+ months ago and in the beginning only told a few people, mainly co-workers. As I got further along in the process I told more people, and one of the biggest opponents turned out to be my ultra skinny friend who told me I just wasn't eating right or exercising enough! She dragged me to the gym 3 times a week for a month and when I had gained 3 pounds by the end of following her "diet' she said I must not have stuck to her guidelines very well!! I would like to think I understand what eating healthy and exercising looks like, as I too hold several Masters degrees. I am now in my 2 week pre-op liquid diet and my surgery is scheduled for the 16 of September! There will be several along your path who will question you just like our friends have, but remember, they aren't and most likely have never been in our shoes! Stay positive and know that they say the best is yet to come! Good luck!

Well, I am very new to this entire process and new to forums. I just started this process in late June by attending the initial seminar, then this past week I had my initial appoitment with the sergon and staff. Because I my BMI is 38.9, I have to jump through the insurance hoops. My insurance has the requirment of six-months of a doctor supervised weight loss program and two medical issues related to weight. My fear right now is jumping through all the hoops and BAM! Insurance denial. But I guess that is a bridge I will need to cross when it's time.

As for the rest, I have only told very close friends and family that I am considering WLS. The reactions is what gets me the most. My good friend and co-worker was so positive. She knows I have struggled, we spent six months together working two days a week with a personal trainer. She lost thirty pounds, I ate my way through the exercise. Another "friend" told me to come over to her house and she would go through her pantry with me and show me how to make simple healthy choices. What? Seriously? I have two Masters degrees, do you think I am mentally retarded (sorry if I offend)? I KNOW what healthy eating looks like, I eat healthy (before 9 PM after that, it's all down hill). The last reaction is, "don't you think this is drastic?" Well, yes, yes it is drastic. I have tried for ten years to get back to a healthy weight and I keep gaining. I can no longer be trusted with a stomach.

Here's to the next six to eight months. I am going to keep a positive attitude and know that the best is yet to come.

Hello,

I am having surgery this week and have also dealt with both good & bad reactions from some of my co-workers. My family is very supportive thank Goodness and most of my co-workers as well. But, there's one that told me not to do this, that I was having elective surgery and that I should just join her at the gym 3 x a week instead. She told me that I should just diet etc. I told her that I had done all of the research, this was Dr. supported and insurance approved and that I had prayed about it, etc. God has been there every step of the way and will continue to be. Also, I have lost and gained over the past 20 years and it has gotten me where I am today. Nowhere.

I made this decision (an informed one) after 6 months of researching every option prior to ever going to a seminar, etc. I am ready to move onto the next chapter of my life and leave these co-morbidities behind. The pre-diet is rough but each day it gets easier. I know in my heart that I am doing the right thing.

Go with your gut, trust your instincts. You are the one that has to take this journey. Everyone has weaknesses, mine is food. My friend (the one with the advice) smokes 1-2 packs a day but is rail thin. You can be thin and still not be healthy. I am doing this for my overall health. Sure, it will be nice to buy something off the rack in a regular deparment store but that is not the reason I am doing this surgery.

I want to live and be here to see my son graduate, get married and hold my grandkids in my lap. I just keep the end goal in mind when some days are rougher than others and keep God at the forefront of my mind and He has never failed me.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you on the loser's bench. I'll save you a seat. :rolleyes:

Definitely, keep positive. I understand exactly how you feel with the 6 month supervised diet, but you definitely won't know until you get there. I swear the last month until submission. I was waiting on pins and needles, then literally 24 hours later, I was approved. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Hi! I know what you mean about the 6 month PSWL, during that process, I couldn't quite figure out what I was supposed to do...was I supposed to succeed and be told by the insurance company that I didn't need surgery because I could in fact follow a weight loss program from my physician? or was I to fail at the 6 month of dieting to be told by my surgeon that I would fail at the after surgery diet if I couldn't succeed on the physician guided diet. It was very confusing and now I sit in limbo somewhere between the 6 month diet (which I completed on 8/25), and insurance approval (submitted on 8/30 ) and no word yet...still a little confused, do I bug the insurance approval office to the point that they deny me because I'm a pest or wait patiently and get denied because I didn't push hard enough...ARRRRRGGGGG!!

Can't wait until I hear something because I'm going insane waiting to know. I feel different every day, up because no news isn't a denial, yet down because no news isn't an approval either, arrrg!

Aren't people wonderful??? remember an opinion is just that an opinion...period..... it has nothing to do with not trying on diets or exercise, nothing to do with which diet we try.... it has to do with a lifetime of poor eating choices combined with our emotions combined with metabolic issues sometimes with self esteem issues etc....Bariatric surgery has nothing to do with loosing weight ...daaa logically if you have the surgery you will loose weight ... but bARIATRIC SURGERY HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH KEEPING IT OFF!!!! so tell all the negative Nellies in your life to just watch and see..... love the people who tell me i am unhealthy and overweight and then when i finally decide to get the surgery they tell me its drastic or not healthy or whatever...ok they apparently only want me to loose the weight the way they want me to loose the weight... thats like telling a diabetic their brand of insulin is the wrong brand... even if it works just fine.... well my dear i support your decision 100 % no one knows you like you do and this is a great positive thing you are doing for yourself!!! Sorry you had to go through so many hoops with the insurance ... just keep pushing and even if they deny it you appeal and appeal .... trust me the squeeky wheel gets the oil when it comes to insurance companies so don't give up without a fight!!! I am 5 ft 1 in and if i put anymore weight on this frame, or lost weight and gained it back again i knew it was going to eventually kill me, i just couldn't do it alone... i see the sleeve in comparison to smokers.... it is my patch .. it helps me and gives me the tool... I am 7 days out from my surgery and doing fine. I am not very hungary and am enjoying the break from constantly thinking about food all of the time. well i am done from my soap box .... hang in there and go for it .. keep me posted i promise i will support you every step of the way!!!

Hi! I know what you mean about the 6 month PSWL, during that process, I couldn't quite figure out what I was supposed to do...was I supposed to succeed and be told by the insurance company that I didn't need surgery because I could in fact follow a weight loss program from my physician? or was I to fail at the 6 month of dieting to be told by my surgeon that I would fail at the after surgery diet if I couldn't succeed on the physician guided diet. It was very confusing and now I sit in limbo somewhere between the 6 month diet (which I completed on 8/25), and insurance approval (submitted on 8/30 ) and no word yet...still a little confused, do I bug the insurance approval office to the point that they deny me because I'm a pest or wait patiently and get denied because I didn't push hard enough...ARRRRRGGGGG!!

Can't wait until I hear something because I'm going insane waiting to know. I feel different every day, up because no news isn't a denial, yet down because no news isn't an approval either, arrrg!

just a little fyi .. insurance companies have a 2 week deadline to respond to pre-authorization for surgeries.. i still called mine everyday just to be annoying .. they waited untill day 14 and then told me that day at 4pm... so hang in there and keep up the positive thoughts!! if they deny it appeal appeal and appeal!!

Aimee, Do your research and do your "head work" so that you KNOW this is what you want to do. I had some negative comments, but I just kept reciting my long list of co-morbidities to them. Those, coupled with the amount of time I've spent in hospitals this year, were enough to convince me that it was TIME to do something drastic. I've tried every diet and exercise program out there, just like many others here. They didn't work.

So far, between two weeks of pre-op liquid diet and 7 days sleeved, i've lost 27 pounds. The last time I lost this much weight, I was starving and ready to kill anyone who ate something I couldn't have where I could see them eating. Now, even though my 21 year old son has cooked pizza and salmon this week, I've had no cravings...and no urges to cheat! I'd have never survived it before! LOL

Make your own decision and don't let those other people get you down. Your health and your life belong to you. If this is the key to good health and longer life for you, then the rest of them need to back off and be supportive.