Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think it's totally reckless to...

Go on vacation 2 weeks after getting the VSG?

I'm planning to go to Hawaii 2 weeks after surgery for my friend's wedding. It's a 15+hr flight duration from the East Coast!

Any survival tips? How did you feel 2 weeks after surgery?

I felt fine, although I got tired easily. Plus, I was still on liquids. Try to walk every half-hour on the flight. If I had gone to a wedding I'd have brought my own stuff to drink.

I would say exhaustion would be a big deal. Definitely have an eating plan together. Lots of laying in the sun would be nice!

Keep moving during the flight, you don't want the increased risk of blood clots. Otherwise I would relax and have fun!

i agree to all of the above! just make sure you get up and walk every 30-45 minutes. i would request an isle seat so that you dont piss off someone your sitting next to. have a great time! what island are you going to. i went to the big island and stayed on kona the past 2 years in a row. loved every minute of it. if you are going there i totally recommend the islander for a hotel. i was able to get a room there for less then $50 dollars a night and the grounds are beautiful. it is right across the street from the Water too, as well as being right smack in the middle of everywhere that you want to be there.

im 2 weeks post op now and i totally would be up to going back right now. just wish i had the money.

have fun!

Thanks girls~! I just changed all my flight seats to the aisle... gonna miss the beautiful view upon landing and take-off! :( Also decided to pay a bit more for the shorter flight duration.. 14 hrs to Hawaii and only 11 hrs on the way back, ha!

I'm going to Maui~ gonna be staying at an ocean front condo w/ a full kitchen and they have a blender! I won't need to buy a portable one, haha.

You are definitely upping your risk for a blood clot. Also - 2 weeks out you are still in the "danger" zone for potential complications......stricture, leaks, ulcer, clots, etc. I would be really nervous about being so far away from my doctor that knows what is going on.

Have fun!

Given how I felt for the first month post op I wouldn't have wanted to be on a vacation. I wanted to sleep all the time and going through the food stages wasn't much fun. I had issue getting in my Water. I couldn't imagine sweating all the time while recovering. I'd likely hide in my room most of the holiday.

I felt great two weeks after surgery. I went back to work around 3 weeks, and the fourth and fifth week (current), I've felt tired. I work at a university, and I do a lot of walking when I work among various campus buildings and up flights and flights of stairs. :) The biggest thing I've found is that I need to have my drinks and foods around. You don't want to have to find things in a strange store. I'd stock up on some of the protein-rich food. I like BariWise products. They come in an envelope and just need Water added. I have a couple of shaker bottles.

I went camping about two weeks after my surgery. It involved lots of meals I couldn't eat. I didn't mind. I did try to time my most "meal like" food with the time other people were eating. I'd have cottage cheese or pudding mixed with Protein. This let me sit down and eat with them and socialize without any problem.

Linda

I've made some plans since posting... I got some anti-embolism stockings so I can wear them on the flight and plan on walking around on the plane. I'm also a nurse and I have 2 friends there who are registered nurses so I'm not too concerned about missing the danger signs.

I've finally decided to tell the bride-to-be and other bridesmaids (I'm the maid of honor, eek!) about the surgery and I've already declined some of the more vigorous activities available on the island and they were really supportive. I will be on my 2nd week of full liquids so if we dine out, I can just stick w/soup or anything that's pureed. I've also made a list of food I can bring along with me when we plan to be out for the whole day in case there's nothing on the menu for me.

I don't know how else I can prepare for this trip. My surgeon said it was OK to travel 2 weeks post-op.