Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you reward yourself now?

I'm curious what others do to reward themselves for their successes now. Before my surgery, I rewarded myself for things with fast food and junk food. I went to the gym & exercised? Good job, lets go to Portillos/Culvers/Burger King/etc. Since my surgery, I have been trying to reward myself with things other than food. I Celebrate a good month of eating healthy & going to the gym by treating myself to a facial or massage or something like that. My friends think this is such a waste of money to spend $100 a month on a treat like that, but I figure I realistically probably spent close to that on fast food before the surgery & I know I spent a lot more than that a month on cigarettes. So, I'm saving money :) Does anyone else do anything to reward themselves for a job well done? What are you doing?

Krista

I've been waiting all day to see how others reward themselves, but no one has replied.

I haven't purchased any rewards for myself so far. It's been rewarding enough to fit into clothes I had outgrown, clothes I had bought and never been able to wear, and finally- new clothes in sizes I haven't seen in years. I've also been able to wear shoes I had to quit wearing as I gained weight and my feet hurt more and more. I also love looking at myself in the mirror and seeing my thinner face and body. This last week I wore a tucked in shirt for the first time in more than a decade! And I can finally feel the difference when bending over, sitting down, and sometimes even just walking.

I always had rewards set up for myself in previous diet plans (mostly Weight Watchers) because losing weight was such a struggle and took so long. I had a mini-rewards for every 5 lbs. I can see myself doing that again as my weight loss slows, which I know it will as time goes by and I get closer to goal. Sometimes it would be something small- a new lipstick, perfume, or lotion. Sometimes something bigger like a new tech toy or a new purse or pair of shoes.

As my final reward, I'm really looking forward to a new wardrobe when I get to my goal weight. Right now I am getting by with just a tiny selection because I know I will be shrinking out of them soon.

Lynda

How funny, Lynda- I was waiting to see what others posted,too!

I kind of have a standing reward in a mani/pedi every two weeks. I didn't use to splurge of this- mainly because I splurged on appetizers, Desserts, etc.

I've also rewarded myself with a massage(1st month's loss), and a gorgeous Coach bag(50 lbs). When I hit my lowest weight since college (over 11 years ago), I gave myself permission to book a cruise with my BFF. It's a four day trip that was offered super cheap (less that $300), but I've found that it's a reward and a motivator. We cruise December 1st and I am hellbent on being under 200 lbs. when I board that ship!

Krista- if your friends think you are wasting money then I'm afraid of what they'd think of me! I didn't spend money on myself for years because I didn't think I deserved it and it wasn't really fun to treat Debbie Downer. In my mind, I am just making up for a little lost time. :)

Amanda

I either buy myself something, or pamper myself in some way, or take time just for myself. So I might buy myself a piece of clothing that fits, or a piece of jewelry. I am a fan of manicures and pedicures - so I'll do that for myself. Or I schedule time to go have a girls lunch with a friend. :P

I am trying to figure something to do for myself when I hit goal. Haven't decided yet.:blink:

I'm curious what others do to reward themselves for their successes now. Before my surgery, I rewarded myself for things with fast food and junk food. I went to the gym & exercised? Good job, lets go to Portillos/Culvers/Burger King/etc. Since my surgery, I have been trying to reward myself with things other than food. I Celebrate a good month of eating healthy & going to the gym by treating myself to a facial or massage or something like that. My friends think this is such a waste of money to spend $100 a month on a treat like that, but I figure I realistically probably spent close to that on fast food before the surgery & I know I spent a lot more than that a month on cigarettes. So, I'm saving money :) Does anyone else do anything to reward themselves for a job well done? What are you doing?

Krista

Well I really don't do anything EXCEPT weigh myself and am so grateful that i don't weigh 350 lbs anymore. I just relish in that glory. I was looking for something the other day and found a hidden picture of myself. . .OMG I could not believe i was THAT huge! It was a picture of me at my heaviest! No wonder I hid it! Now i look at it and that in itself is my reward. . .my health and well being. . and knowing that I could NEVER be THAT huge again!

I'm constantly rewarding myself! I think this is a really good idea. And yes, this can and SHOULD include simple looks in the mirror and admiring all the hard work. This IS hard work!!! Surgery is very tough, especially the sleeve surgery. It's one of the toughest I'd gone through... not to scare any newbies, but I can also say - I'd do it again in a heartbeat to be living the life I am today.

I like the idea of going out and setting up upcoming trips. Let it be a motivator for yourself if you're still trying to lose more weight. Buying yourself nice things that you wouldn't normally do otherwise on a regular basis for getting to a milestone is another good one. I've bought myself so many nice purses and expensive cosmetics or accessories in the last year, you'd think I'm rich or something... nope not that - but pleasantly thick and NOT fat is what I am. And now I have great things to match. ;)

Krista, having massages and spa days are a wonderful way to unwind, and if your friends don't "get it" well, it's your money and your time, you should spend it any way you like. It just takes time for our friends to get used to our new routines. If they are used to you going out to eat all the time, and now you're not they're going to think the stars are out of alignment. They'll get used to the new you.

I think maybe even it's a little strange to ourselves, so we come here looking for comfort and peace of mind through others going through the same experiences. Know we are ALL doing this. It doesn't make much sense to buy food all the time when we can barely eat half cup's worth... instead I'd rather go and buy me some new goal outfits or whatever accessories to decorate the new me. Or do things to unwind and pamper the new me.

Krista- if your friends think you are wasting money then I'm afraid of what they'd think of me! I didn't spend money on myself for years because I didn't think I deserved it and it wasn't really fun to treat Debbie Downer. In my mind, I am just making up for a little lost time. :)

I feel the same way! I never treated myself to nice things because I never felt like I deserved them. I love facials & I hadn't had one for over 8 years. Now I try to do a facial every other month & something smaller on the off months. I love the idea of treating myself to a trip when I hit my final goal... but realistically I think the big treat for me when I hit goal will be getting some reconstructive plastic surgery to get rid of the loose skin & put everything else back where it belongs.

Krista

I get mani/pedis about every three weeks. A beautiful Michael Kors handbag ( on sale) at 50 lbs. I hope to get a nice piece of jewelry when I reach goal. Maybe a tennis Bracelet since my wrist has always been too large for one

Cindy-Lynn,

I've been thinking about a Bracelet too! or a neck chain that sits above my collarbones. I love sparkly stuff and a tennis bracelet would be fabulous!

Lynda

Here's my list of upcoming rewards :)

1st - for completing 4 weeks of liquid diet, I deserve a massage. I think the incisions should be healed enough that I can do this.

2nd - at 25 pounds gone (217), a pedicure. That's just another nine pounds away, so possibly by next weekend, maybe not until the following one.

3rd - I want to do something small at 210, maybe buy myself a small bouquet of flowers.

4th - At 199, I want to do something big - like a mini shopping spree. My mom said she'd kick in a little towards this. I might just cruise around Goodwill or just Ross or Marshall's, nothing pricey because I'll be losing more, but I think that after a 42 pound loss I'll need some new things.

5th - its just a tiny bit later, but I want to mark the 50 lb mark, maybe again with just some flowers, or maybe a Bracelet or pair of earrings to commemorate it.

AT this point I have no idea how much I'll be losing, so that's probably enough goals to keep me busy for awhile. My 6 month anniversary of the surgery is my 35th Birthday, so there will definitely be some celebrating, probably with more new clothes smile.gif

And after I get below 150, I want to ride a horse. I know that sounds really weird, but right now I'm too heavy to ride a horse at the places around here where you can go for little trail rides. I probably just need to be below 200, but I'll give the horse a break, especially since I have other fun treats for 199. So, somehow, at 150, I'm going to take a little horseback ride.

This is a great question - I don't think a huge slab of chocolate cake from Cheesecake Factory should be my go-to celebration method any more! (LOL)

I'm thinking about things like new music for my workout play list, new exercise clothes so I feel fabulous in my yoga class, fresh flowers, and other small treats along the way.

I get facials regularly and have for years. I think my reward these past few months have been all of the clothes I have had to buy! LOL

I love shopping and getting to try on and buy things that actually look good on me now that I am a size 8! I will contiune to "reward" myself as I continue to lose! LOL

Kelly ;)

Clothes, definitely! I'd been a tight size 26/28 for so long, and I'd been living with Lane Bryant and Silhouette's--now I love Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Old Navy (who knew just getting T-shirts that fit would be so much fun?), etc. etc. etc. I'm trying to think ahead and not purchase too much stuff at once, because I'm pretty sure it's going to be too small in a couple of months, but wow, yeah, clothes. I can always sell my gently used ones on Ebay!

Right before I had surgery, my husband helped me set up a vanity table in our bedroom where I could sit in the mornings and do my makeup. You have to understand, I was just throwing stuff on in 5 minutes--"getting by" with the bare minimum. Around the same time I made the decision to have the surgery, I also made the decision to start looking more professional for my job. I discovered Bare Escentuals and am now hooked! My husband teases me about becoming a "girly girl," but I think I always was--I just didn't feel like messing with it before, when the overall end product would still be me, really FAT.

I say reward yourself in whatever way feels right for you! We have danged well earned it, and it's your money and your time. :D Spend them as you like.