Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PICKED DR. ACEVES...now what?

So, after 4 months of research I have decided to go with Dr. Aceves. Nina tried to call me a few minutes ago (SATURDAY!) but we had a bad connection so she's going to call me back in a few minutes hopefully. I know my insurance won't pay for the VSG here in Northern California so I have decided to look for Self Pay in Mexico. Nina suggested to get medloanfinance.com or cosmeticcredit.com for my financing needs. Does anyone have any experience with them and going to Dr. Aceves? I don't know if I will get approved and that is the only scary part to me, really. I am sooo sure I want VSG. I wish there was a checklist of things to do. Do I first get financing? Or do I speak with Nina?

I just spoke with my mom, she's an ICU nurse that thinks she knows everything, and she asked if I was crazy to go to Mexico to get surgery. I looked at the photos of the hospital..BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL! So clean looking! And the hospital staff seem so accessible. I like that. All the testimonials on this forum and all over the internet, I truly did not find one thing bad about Dr. Aceves.

Another question I have is: after my lane touches back down in SFO/OAK, how many days before I can go back to school (nursing student)? I only have class twice a week and I am planning to be done with my preceptorship/clinicals (working on a nursing unit) before I do this surgery because I know I shouldn't be doing any kind of hard labor or heavy lifting. But do you think going to class will really be excruciating for me?!

One more question (sorry): I am a keloid (raised scar) former. Will the laparoscopic incisons most likely cause severely ugly scars? Just asking if anyone has had any experience with this or would be willing to show me pictures of their scars or incisions. And if you took measures to prevent dark scarring, what were they out of curiosity. Thank you:)

The hospital is modern, sterile, with wonderful staff. I am thrilled with Dr Aceves and the whole experience was wonderful for me.

My surgery was Saturday morning, Monday afternoon I drove back to Los Angeles (5 hour drive in heavy-ish traffic) , Thursday I went back to work (I have a desk job). I am at work today, actually - Saturday - catching up on stuff.

My scars are small, the largest 2 are 1/2 and 3/4 inch long. (I just measured them using a ruler :)

You will not regret this decision. Good luck!

The hospital is modern, sterile, with wonderful staff. I am thrilled with Dr Aceves and the whole experience was wonderful for me.

My surgery was Saturday morning, Monday afternoon I drove back to Los Angeles (5 hour drive in heavy-ish traffic) , Thursday I went back to work (I have a desk job). I am at work today, actually - Saturday - catching up on stuff.

My scars are small, the largest 2 are 1/2 and 3/4 inch long. (I just measured them using a ruler :)

You will not regret this decision. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I am so excited to get the ball rolling. I am actually calling for financing on Monday morning. Let's cross our fingers for my approval! Congratulations to you by the way!

Thank you so much! I am so excited to get the ball rolling. I am actually calling for financing on Monday morning. Let's cross our fingers for my approval! Congratulations to you by the way!

HI! I went to Dr. Aceves and went through medloanfinance.com......I was NOT happy with the finance place...I thought I was applying for a loan, but it just turned out to be a credit card...which would have been fine, except I get those offers in the mail all the time, and instead of paying the finance company $265 to get me a credit card, I would have just sent one of the offers back with a "yes". That was my only gripe with the finance company, and with Dr. Aceves and his staff...I have no gripes! Good luck to you!tongue.gif

HI! I went to Dr. Aceves and went through medloanfinance.com......I was NOT happy with the finance place...I thought I was applying for a loan, but it just turned out to be a credit card...which would have been fine, except I get those offers in the mail all the time, and instead of paying the finance company $265 to get me a credit card, I would have just sent one of the offers back with a "yes". That was my only gripe with the finance company, and with Dr. Aceves and his staff...I have no gripes! Good luck to you!tongue.gif

I agree with this. I went through medloanfinance.com and they charge you an arm and a leg just to get a credit card you could have gotten yourself. I think the only benefit is that they do this shotgun blast of credit applications all at once, but really you could do this yourself and save a chunk of change.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and flew back home on Friday. I went from San Diego to Atlanta to Savannah. It was draining but after a good night of rest I was moving along. I went back to work on Monday. I have a desk job and the worst part of it was the fatigue. I got off at 5 PM and went to sleep with the baby around 730 - 8 every night.

As for the keloids, I would ask Nina about it and she should be able to get some information for you on it. I took Arnica tablets before and after surgery. They are more for bruising than scarring. I talked to Nina about it to make sure it wouldn't cause any issues during surgery. She said it was likely unnecessary before surgery but it wouldn't hurt for me to take them if it made me feel better mentally. LOL!

I just put my personal pics from the trip in my gallery so you can take a look if you want. For me it was more like a vacation that happened to have a surgery in the middle.

OMG thank you that was really great infor about medloanfinance.com...I had no clue. I've been searching for reviews all morning.

I agree with this. I went through medloanfinance.com and they charge you an arm and a leg just to get a credit card you could have gotten yourself. I think the only benefit is that they do this shotgun blast of credit applications all at once, but really you could do this yourself and save a chunk of change.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and flew back home on Friday. I went from San Diego to Atlanta to Savannah. It was draining but after a good night of rest I was moving along. I went back to work on Monday. I have a desk job and the worst part of it was the fatigue. I got off at 5 PM and went to sleep with the baby around 730 - 8 every night.

As for the keloids, I would ask Nina about it and she should be able to get some information for you on it. I took Arnica tablets before and after surgery. They are more for bruising than scarring. I talked to Nina about it to make sure it wouldn't cause any issues during surgery. She said it was likely unnecessary before surgery but it wouldn't hurt for me to take them if it made me feel better mentally. LOL!

I just put my personal pics from the trip in my gallery so you can take a look if you want. For me it was more like a vacation that happened to have a surgery in the middle.

Ohhh! I see about the fatigue. Yeah, Nina told me I may be tired but that some people return to work immediately and its easier if you job is mostly sedentary. When I get back (if I get approved), I will have class from 0900-2000. So yup. I hope she's right. And I will have to look up Arnica tablets. Hmmm... Thank you!

So, after 4 months of research I have decided to go with Dr. Aceves. Nina tried to call me a few minutes ago (SATURDAY!) but we had a bad connection so she's going to call me back in a few minutes hopefully. I know my insurance won't pay for the VSG here in Northern California so I have decided to look for Self Pay in Mexico. Nina suggested to get medloanfinance.com or cosmeticcredit.com for my financing needs. Does anyone have any experience with them and going to Dr. Aceves? I don't know if I will get approved and that is the only scary part to me, really. I am sooo sure I want VSG. I wish there was a checklist of things to do. Do I first get financing? Or do I speak with Nina?

I just spoke with my mom, she's an ICU nurse that thinks she knows everything, and she asked if I was crazy to go to Mexico to get surgery. I looked at the photos of the hospital..BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL! So clean looking! And the hospital staff seem so accessible. I like that. All the testimonials on this forum and all over the internet, I truly did not find one thing bad about Dr. Aceves.

Another question I have is: after my lane touches back down in SFO/OAK, how many days before I can go back to school (nursing student)? I only have class twice a week and I am planning to be done with my preceptorship/clinicals (working on a nursing unit) before I do this surgery because I know I shouldn't be doing any kind of hard labor or heavy lifting. But do you think going to class will really be excruciating for me?!

One more question (sorry): I am a keloid (raised scar) former. Will the laparoscopic incisons most likely cause severely ugly scars? Just asking if anyone has had any experience with this or would be willing to show me pictures of their scars or incisions. And if you took measures to prevent dark scarring, what were they out of curiosity. Thank you:)

As a Labor and Delivery nurse, I have done my research! I also picked Dr Aceves to do my surgery and I don't feel the least bit crazy. I feel very confident in him and I know this will make a huge, positive impact on my life. I am so excited and ready to do this!

Lisa

The more I looked into Dr. Aceves the more it made me wonder why there weren't ANY reviews at all about my local WLS surgeon/practice. The website was outdated and the only testimonies I could find were from years ago. If I could find this many people's opinions about Dr. Aceves why couldn't I find anything at all on the guy here in town. It helped me move away from the local area "center of excellence" or not!

How long does it take to get a surgery date from the time you contact their website?

and what kind of requirements do they have? thank you!

I booked my surgery several months in advance (I wanted a specific date) but I think they had openings within a month or two at the time I was booking. Best to contact them and see where they are booking right now. It doesnt hurt to ask them.

From start to sleeve for me was about 3 weeks. It probably would have been sooner if I didn't have to make travel, work, and babysitting arrangements.

From start to sleeve for me was about 3 weeks. It probably would have been sooner if I didn't have to make travel, work, and babysitting arrangements.

wow! good to know, I am just waiting on Tricare / MTF to get the ball rolling, if they don't I'll be in Tijuana soon