Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much of a shock did you go through after your VSG? Specifically I am wondering just how I will handle not being able to turn to food when stressed. Is it a huge shock after surgery? How difficult is the adjustment?

You don't know this but you desire for food is GONE! You will not be hungry. Food will still smell go but you will not want it. This Sleeve is the best!

Buy some books on this. Lots of cool information.

My desire for food did not go away like it does for some. My physical hunger went away. I am 6 weeks out and only just startting to feel physical hunger pangs. I had very strong emotional longings for food. I kepttorturing mysel thinking when I gwt off of my liquids, THAT will be the first thing I eat... Some people on here refer to it as mental food anguish and that sounds exactly right. I never realized how much I used food as an emotional bandaid-for stress mostly-until I no longer needed it or could even have it physically. I even went through a pretty bad spell of depression and sadness and regret for about 4 weeks afterward. Being well enough to exercise more vigorously has improved my depression. Exercise and sunshine are natural serotonin stimulants, BTW, if you experience this mood issue. I was even prepared, for this by my surgeon. He gave me a book to read preop about the psychological aspect of my surgery and weight loss, but still I thought I would be immune to the anguish. Once I made up my mind that I had to "get over" food or grieve the loss of food as a pick me up, start exercising like I meant it, and getting back into the mentality that my sleeve is another dieter's tool, not a quick fix, things started getting better. I guess I thought I would be lucky enough it wouldn't bother me once my stomach was reduced, but I was wrong. I suppose it depends on what role food played in your life prior to your surgery and for me, it was huge. I will say, I am 6 weeks out now and getting better and fitter everyday. I am so hapy and excited I had this done, becuase even though I couldn't give up my "dieting" mentality, it is SOOOO much easier to diet. It feels like I am changing my life for good----AND I AM!!!!! Good luck to you as well.

You may have grouchy moments, and be more blunt because you won't be able to eat those emotions away. It's definitely an adjustment. I feel like I am having to learn how to communicate at. 47 yrs old. But I am actually enjoying it now. It's nice standing up for myself for a change. No longer a doormat for the world. It's a learning process. But I am not hungry at all. That's the great part. I am loving my sleeve!

:)

The first month is hard for all sorts of reasons. food longing is different for everyone. My shock was more about how I was terribly exhasted for up to 8 weeks after surgery. It was depressing. And, yes, I have had very frustrating moments when I wanted to eat something for an emotional reason and I knew I couldn't. It is hard because the sleeve forces you to do the RIGHT thing. It makes you do what you could not otherwise do on your own. This causes some emotional strain, but it is different for everyone.

Good luck---

I was hardcore dieting for months before and lost 53 pounds before day of surgery. I think I laid my food demons to rest before I got on the operating table. I have had no issues adjusting. I find this easy. Honest.

I didn't have issues with emotional/stress eating prior to surgery . . . I was strictly a volume eater. I've been a little irritable about food, but it's not so much that I miss stuffing my face with piles of food; it's more that I miss variety. I think once I'm through my first couple food stages and back to regular solids, I'll be much less irritable. :)

I was really worried about this too. I thought I'd freak out after surgery if I couldn't eat all I wanted to. I had my surgery on July 19th and I'm happy to report that it hasn't been an issue for me at all since then. I don't get hunger pangs and I get full so quickly that it's about all I can do to eat 700-800 calories a day (the amount my nutritionist says to eat).

It's sort of weird... I do get hungry, but I'm much more particular about what I eat because I can eat so little. I have an automatic "prioritize" reaction like, "no, not that--what a waste.." and then I think, "I want...." I'm making MUCH better food choices. It's a weird sort of aversion therapy that I never had before because I really rarely felt "full" so I never really had to prioritize. I'd just have both! :o

I still even go to buffets with my family...most allow you to get a "to go" box and pay by the pound. Hahaha IMagine the disappointment on the local chinese buffet when my meal costs $1.94 hahahahahaha

I have not had the urge to eat when I am stressed, amazing to me, I am just not interested in food anymore. which is a good thing. 1 month out and have dropped 4 sizes and lost 35 pounds. I just tried on a bunch of my old cloths and I have a brand new line of cloths again!

I never was an emoitional eater, I was a volume eater. I do get hungry and I do still want to eat, but it is different now. It is weird to explain, but eating is just not fun any more!! I can not eat much and really don't look forward to it like I used to. I do it to live now and not for entertainment.

I am 4 months out on Monday and you really learn to adjust to the small portions and it really is o.k.! I make much better food choices now and don't eat crap. If I want something tho, I have it because I eat so little of anything, it really doesn't hurt my weight loss.

Good luck to you!

Kelly :D