Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey--5 Days Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

**I would like to preface this by saying that the story may be long, but I have been on this sight for about 3 months and have yet to post anything substantial. I loved reading peoples in-depth stories and wanted to share mine the same way. Take what you will :)

My journey actually began 3 short months ago when my parents confronted both my younger sister and I about having the surgery. My mother was overweight and has RnY gastric bypass in 2003 and it completely changed her life, and ours, for the better. My parents saw us going down the same path and did not wish for us to have that kind of lifestyle. Having said that, there were times in my life I was fit and healthy, but no matter how much I exercise or watch what I eat these pat 5 years, I never seem to lose more than 20 lbs. The weight always came back. I have tried multiple weight loss systems and had no positive outcomes. I'm about 20 lbs smaller than my sister, weighing in at 240.8 at 5'6" and 28 years old (size 18/20 jean/dress). Which makes me approximately 100 lbs overweight and a candidate for laproscopic vertical sleeve gastrectomy with Dr. Aviv Ben-Meier at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center for Bariatric Surgery in Cleveland, Ohio. This is where my mother had her surgery done, so she made a few calls to her advocate there and got both my sister and I a consultation with the surgeon.

From the beginning, I knew I wanted to do this. The topic had been brought up to my sister before and I had considered what I would do if I ever had the opportunity, so when I was approached with have VSG in May, I knew I wanted to. Thankfully, my parents were able to pay for this surgery so I didn't have to jump through insurance hoops and was able to have the surgery quickly. I did check into my insurance in case it was a possibility, but found that it wasn't, by any mean, paid for. Having said that, a consultation, psych eval, sleep study, and 3 nutritionist appointments later, I was scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, August 17th, 2011. My sisters short story will end here seeing that she is in college and planning on having hers the first week of Christmas vacation.

PAT's were scheduled 2 weeks before my operation in which I had no qualms whatsoever about the surgery. You should know that I am the last person you would find in a hospital, around needles and blood, but I was not nervous about this surgery AT ALL. That is, until PAT, when I passed twice getting blood drawn and heard about the tube and catheter I would have after surgery. Let alone the IV I would be getting beforehand (which I was aware of but thought I would be fine with until the fainting incident.) I went home that night after surgery education and was quesy and nervous for the first time. I was a pile of nerves and couldn't allow myself to think about it at all without feeling nauseaus. I couldn't back out now! Thankfully the next morning I woke up with a new sense of ease and was fine once again. I am so gracious to have this opportunity to get my life back, I didn't care what I had to do to get it.

The day before surgery came and I had to drink 3 bottles of Magnesium Citrate on a clear liquid diet. I mixed the COLD cherry Mag. Cit. with Crystal light lemonade, and honestly, it wasn't that bad. I encourage those of you who still have to do this to try it that way. Also, since its nasty, you want to drink it quickly...but it's carbonated and may make you feel a bit nauseaus. fyi. That night I took my mind off things by visiting my 5 day old honorary nephew. Unfortunately they were eating homemade roastbeef and mashed potatoes for dinner!!

The morning of I was up at 4:30, showered, hair done, and ready to head to Cleveland. I actually arrived at my surgery 15 minutes late! I was praying for an early surgery so I wouldn't have to wake up and wait around...well, I got what I asked for. 6am surgery! During pre-op they gave me a gown and asked me to take a pregnancy test, then put me in a bed where they took my blood pressure and found my heart rate to be an extremely high 119. I was worried about the IV at this point, could careless about the surgery. The nurses and anesthesiologists come around and introduced themselves, I was given warm blankets, then left to wait about an hour until they came back to do my IV. Maybe one of the worst parts for me was that hour long waiting-for-the-inevitable anxiety. Finally the actual anesthesiologist came over and began. He said they WERE GOING TO NUMB ME FIRST! I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I actually reached up and grabbed his shoulder to thank him. He numbed my arm, and literally 4 seconds later the IV was in and I didn't feel a thing. I told him he was "amazing" which had the entire open pre-op room full of about 20 people laughing. He kept it going for awhile. Next thing I know, my surgeon, another amazing man, Dr. Aviv Ben-Meier, was at the foot of my bed asking if I had questions, saying that I would do great, and he would see me in a few minutes. They gave me a shot of heparin in my belly (which created a now 6" awful looking bruise) and some of what my surgeon calls "I don't care medicine." I was wheeled into the operating room and asked to maneuver over to the surgery table. Let me tell you, without that anxiety medication, there is no way I would have freely moved on over and allowed them to strap me down the way they were. I do remember calling them a bunch of friendly busy bees before they told me goodnight...

Next thing I know I'm being wheeled to recovery in the hallway with nurses yelling my name. Honestly, this is exactly what it feels like waking up from fainting. I felt like they were screaming at me though they were just trying to keep me awake. Once in the preop area I was immediately given morphine through my IV which didn't help a bit! I was in pain! I'm a pain baby, just so you know. It is just intense soreness in your abdominal area. I will say that I didn't cry or beg for more medicine, but it was pretty miserable. Just prepare yourself. Thankfully every 10 minutes the nurse came with more morphine until the morphine pump was hooked up, but my guess is it took a good 45 minutes for me to feel any relief. It must have been about 2 hours, the last I was able to sleep through after the pain meds started working, and I was taken to my beautiful room. St. Vincent Charity Medical Center has remodeled all of their rooms to look like hotels! My husband, mom, and friend were then there with me. I was awake enough to hear that the surgeon found I had hiatal hernia which he needed to repair before the actual VSG took place, so the surgery took longer than expected. I was actually glad to hear that it got fixed! I'm sure that attributed to many of my preop symptoms. The rest of the day was pretty boring between pushing my morphine pump every 10 minutes and falling to sleep. My husband would push the pump while I slept which was awesome. I recommend you have someone on top of that if that is your line up of pain medication afterwards. The pump doesn't get pushed if your sleeping!!!!! I found that out the first night. The night of surgery they also had me up walking twice, which was unimaginable until I actually got up. Walking made me feel so much better. The first lap around the floor was difficult, but then they started to make me feel really good. I encourage the walking big time. The night of surgery went ok until I woke up 2 hours without pain medication. I don't understand this and probably never will. I tried to stay awake for 40 minutes to press the button 4 times but I would always end up falling back to sleep. Most of the time there are orders to push an extra dose of morphine if needed, so don't hesitate to ask your nurse.

The next day they took away my morphine pump and put me on 2 separate pain medications that also helped with inflammation since I had the hernia repaired. The nurse came in and gave those through the IV every 6 hours. That was much better. I walked a lot the next day and also slept. The medication really didn't give me a choice to stay awake though I wanted to. My mom came and gave me a manicure and we watched the Bachelor Pad. That day I also had the catheter removed. I want everyone to know who is like me and never had one before, to not worry about it. I didn't even know it was there and it was no big deal when they took it out. My issue was that I was unable to urinate for a good 9 hours after and was told that if I didn't go they would have to put it back in. THAT WASN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. lol. Also, the abdominal tube you do not feel in you at all. I was not allowed to drink anything today which was the second day without any liquid. Cotton mouth was an annoyance for sure. The swabbie's helped me the most, and also brushing my teeth a lot helped at all, just make sure not to swallow anything. I sounded like a frog.

The third day in the hospital I woke up and was taken down for a barium X-ray at 8:00am. It was far too easy, but also extremely gross. Thankfully they gave me anti-nausea medication before I went. After not having anything in my throat for 2.5 days, barium was not my drink of choice. 6 small sips later it was over and by 9am my surgeon had approved me for liquids and had a glass of icechips by my bedside. Ice chips were a God-send and lunch was great. I found that I was taking really small sips too soon together though. The top of my stomach was gurgly. My surgeon came in that night and said that the rest of the day I should time my sips every 5 minutes, then the next day every 3 minutes. It was this time I was put on liquid percocet which is now my pain med of choice. lol. The rest of the day I walked, walked, walked. I was called speedy by more than one other patient ;)

The next day was Saturday and time to go home. I had been worrying about my tube being taken out but by now I was a nervous wreck. I was told that it doesn't hurt, it's just a really strange feeling. When the doctor walked in at noon I had to buck up and make my own judgement. He said the same, that it won't hurt, but feels like you're going down the hill of a rollercoaster. Would you know, that is what I would compare it to! What a doc! Also, I did not have bad gas pain in the hospital. I was warned the first day after surgery that I might since having the hernia repaired. I've noticed it in my shoulders when it appears but it is not that extreme. I find that walking and doing shoulder/neck circles helps. I guess I was one of the lucky ones!

Again, if you are nervous about that, don't be...it's not worth it. I was still on percocet, and walking, as my discharge instructions were given. Then I was in the car and headed home.

Nothing compares to lying in my own bed, propped up on pillows, relaxed by percocet, with my pup and husband. I do believe I told him that night that I was in heaven.

My time home has been going really well. My surgeon wants me drinking 6-8 8oz. of full liquid per day, one of those servings being a Protein drink. As of right now, I find that impossible! Yesterday I had about 4 servings and couldn't bare to drink anymore. I am finding that I still have drink at a rate of about every 5 minutes, but I believe that may be due to the swelling I also have from the hernia repair. I may also be taking larger sips than I should. I'm still trying to tweak that. The Protein drinks I am drinking are from Arbonne and are absolutely delicious. I'm also drinking some Diet V8 Splash berry Blend (which takes most of the yucky taste away from crushed pills), tea, Water, crystal light, and broths. I think I'm able to have diluted creamed Soup but I'm afraid to try that as of yet. The medications I am taking upon coming home are liquid percocet when needed, flintstone Vitamin +Iron daily, 4 chewable Gas-X daily for the first week starting the day I come home, and chewable pepcid twice daily.

The most shocking thing I've noticed since being home is the amount of gurggling my digestive system is doing. I think it is just the mix of gas and liquid, but it sounds like a washing machine dinosaur, and I have multiple people that agree with me! I'm so embarrassed by it but am glad that it doesn't hurt. I start grad school classes next Monday and am unsure what I'm going to do about this! The other issue I'm facing is head hunger. There is no way I could fit anything in my stomach, but food is absolutely everywhere and I want it! I get sad that I will never eat pizza...but have to tell myself that one day I will be able to have a portion of pizza. food comes to mind that I'm not even a huge fan of, like oreos, and I want one so bad. I realize that this is my addiction talking and that I will be able to enjoy food eventually, but life is more important that chips and chicken wings. When I have these feelings, I just think...wouldn't you rather put on a pair of skinny jeans, or wouldn't you rather be able to cross your legs? etc. That helps.

Today I am 5 days post-op and am actually at work. It's not typical work, but I'm still not at home resting. I take care of my grandmother who is suffering from Ovarian Cancer. I drive 45 minutes to and from her house each day to help her. I got up early today, drove out here, and we are taking care of one another. It's been nice. I haven't had to take any pain medicine today which I am thankful for and am getting in more liquids since I didn't sleep in and haven't napped. My surgeon said that each day I should feel better and so far I am!

I hope this post is at least a little helpful for you all. I'll continue updating on my journey and reading yours!

Attached is a picture of me from a few months ago with my sister and mom. My sister is on the left, me on the right with the red hair. Hopefully soon I'll be adding before and afters!! WOOOHOOOO! Can't believe I'm on the losers bench!

Can you believe that after writing all of that, I took a mini walk and realized there were things I forgot! I just wanted to include them real quick in case anyone was questioning:

-I started in a size 18/20 jean and dress

-The medications I am taking upon coming home are liquid percocet when needed, flintstone Vitamin +Iron daily, 4 chewable Gas-X daily for the first week starting the day I come home, and hewable pepcid twice daily.

-Also, I did not have bad gas pain in the hospital. I was warned the first day after surgery that I might since having the hernia repaired. I've noticed it in my shoulders when it appears but it is not that extreme. I find that walking and doing shoulder/neck circles helps. I guess I was one of the lucky ones!

I also updated my ticker. Unfortunately I went up in weight since the last time I updated it!

Can you believe that after writing all of that, I took a mini walk and realized there were things I forgot! I just wanted to include them real quick in case anyone was questioning:

-I started in a size 18/20 jean and dress

-The medications I am taking upon coming home are liquid percocet when needed, flintstone Vitamin +Iron daily, 4 chewable Gas-X daily for the first week starting the day I come home, and hewable pepcid twice daily.

-Also, I did not have bad gas pain in the hospital. I was warned the first day after surgery that I might since having the hernia repaired. I've noticed it in my shoulders when it appears but it is not that extreme. I find that walking and doing shoulder/neck circles helps. I guess I was one of the lucky ones!

I also updated my ticker. Unfortunately I went up in weight since the last time I updated it!

Loved your story and love your parents for the "intervention". All the best to you and your sis when she has hers. The people here love to help as I am sure you have seen. Just ask away!

CONGRATS TO YOU AND YOUR SISTER FOR MAKING THE DECISION TO CHANGE YOUR LIVES!

OMG what a great post I enjoyed it!!! Thanks for taking the time to share. Wish u the best in ur journey, cannt wait to start mine!

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this play by play! I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ben Meir on March 4th. I live in Warren. This was so helpful and, although I am not even nervous yet, makes me feel even more comfortable! I can't wait!!

I agree this post was just what I needed. Thanks. Feeling better about my surgery on Wednesday. :)

Thanks for your post I am just starting out I think I will be looking at a late May or June surgery date but not sure just yet. I like hearing people's "real" accounts of things because I want to feel as knowledgeable and prepared as I can beforehand.