Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired after protein shake

I know there have been other posts about this, but I just don't see them at the moment. Tonight I had a Protein shake for dinner. It was from Bariatric fusion - I had gotten a sample of the Mint chocolate Ice Cream flavor and mixed it with some 1% milk since I happen to have 8 ounces of that on hand. It was very yummy and gave me 35 g of Protein in one pop. It took me a little longer than normal to finish it because I found I was getting full faster than I normally do. Normally, I mix a scoop of powder with 8 ounces of Water and can still get it down pretty easy. I figured because I mixed it with milk the reason it was taking me longer. Anyway, after I finished it I became really tired and ended up laying on my couch with the TV on and the next thing I knew it was 3 hours later because I fell asleep!

I haven't experienced that before. What might be the cause of that? I haven't had that much of a Bariatric Fusion protein mix before (I have had some samples - about 3 ounces worth at a support group meeting - different flavors and did not have this reaction). I really liked the Bariatric fusion Protein Powder and was thinking that I would order some of that if I liked it. Now I'm not so sure if this was a reaction to that specific powder...

I have EXTREME fatigue and shakiness after drinking/eating sugar. Check for level of simple carbs in the shake. Terrible feeling. In order to not lose anymore weight I'm eating more complex carbs and fat but not sugar!

Maybe the sugar in the milk? Maybe the heat. Or maybe your body is tired and just really needed the extra rest today :) Journaling will help you pin down problem foods...good luck to you.

The Bariatric fusion powder has 27 g of Protein, 7 g of Carbs (5g of Fiber and <1 g of sugar), 0 g of fat. The milk had 8 g of protein, 12 g of carb (sugar was all 12 g) and 2.5 g of fat. So the carbs came from the milk, but wasn't outrageously high (although it is higher than my dietician recommended of 10g).

I don't see how it could be possible that the Protein powder that made you feel that way.

Why don't you try making it with Water and see if you get the same effect.

Every so often when I have increased sugary food I have to lay down for a nap after 30 mins eating. I sleep for an hour and then feel better. I am sure it is the sugar that is doing it to me. Best to try the Protein with Water see if its the protein. Do you get this rxn when you drink milk by itself?

bariatricfusion.com - The owner, Marc, flew from his NY practice to Cincinnati, OH to give my support group some samples and information about their products. That's how I got the sample. They also have a Facebook page if you're interested.

When I mix my Protein powders with milk, they are harder to get down and I do get tired. I don't know what it is but I always feel tired after I eat regardless of high carb, low carb, fat or none. My brother who is normal weight told me eating has the same affact on him.

Khy

I find it a battle to eat anything, and it feels a little like a work out. After eating anything I feel like i had to struggle to eat... I figured it was just because i was having to think about eating instead of just filling the hugh void that was my stomach....:blink: