Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a super difficult time eating SLOWLY!!!!!!!

I'm having such a difficult time eating slowly. I just want to gobble like I did before and I end up eating super fast and it comes right back out. This has been happening since I started soft foods and I'm getting so depressed, I just can't take a half hour to eat half a cup of food. My jaw gets tired of chewing and then my mind is craving the next bite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this struggle; I still can't eat real slow. So what helps me is to measure first, so I know i can't over eat, and to cut everything up into teeny pieces so there's not as much chewing to do. Take care!

I am struggling with this too!:angry: I grew up with 3 older brothers so eating fast is very ingrained habit for me. Plus I have a busy job and I eat fast so I can get back to work It does not feel good when you eat fast with the sleeve. I am hoping aversion therapy will finally get it into my head to slow down.:(

after you get sick a few times, you WILL slow down!!

It's best to measure and wait a minute in between bites. that will train you. hope this helps!!

Kelly :)

I fell victim tonight trying to get food in before church. Wound up sliming for the first time. I was actually wishing it would come back up. Misery.... Don't think I will be forgetting that real soon....

I am almost 1 year out and still struggle with eat too fast. I am way better than I use to be, but still eat too fast for a sleever UGH I just love my food LOL

I never have eaten slow. The thing is to measure your food before you eat and chew well. I haven't slowed down a bit.

Eating fast doesn't effect me at all. I feel full sooner and I stop eating when I feel full. I guess there have been a few times that I ran to the bathroom and had to go really fast, but it was just a soft bowel movement. I haven't thrown up once since my surgery three months ago, but I'm concerend that eating fast is hurting me in another way. Can it slow down weight loss?

It seems like my entire life, when it came to food, my brain was not piloting the plane - my stomach was in the pilot seat with my mouth as co-pilot. The two of them had me eating too fast, too much, and forcing the brain into a state of unconsciousness when I ate. In reality - the brain is and always should be the pilot of the plane.Here is an exercise to help you get closer to that point. I am not suggesting this for every meal - but it will help you change your habits if you practice this exercise.

Measure out your serving of whatever. Put it in a small plate or bowl. Leave it on the counter. Get a second small plate or bowl. Take 3-4 bites of whatever from the first plate and put it on the second plate (spread away from each other). Take the plate or bowl to the table, place it there next two your fork/spoon and napking. Sit down - put napkin in lap. Take a deep breath, smile, and tell yourself - "I am going to enjoy each bit of this food to the fullest." Place the first bite in your mouth and start chewing. Continue to say the line about enjoying each bite to the fullest in your head as you chew. Say it to yourself ten times (slowly) for EACH BITE OF FOOD. Once the food is in your mouth, PUT THE FORK DOWN (the other food isn't going to run away from you.) The first bite - focus on the TASTE of the food. Think about the spices - preparation - etc. (Is it sweet? Sour? Salty? Spicy? ) After you have swallowed, take another breath and look at the plate. Pick up the fork - and put the second bite in your mouth. Repeat the steps from before with the mantra about enjoying each bite and setting the fork down. The second bite - focus on the TEXTURE of the food and how it feels in your mouth. Is is smooth and slippery? Chewy? Tough? Repeat the process for each bite of food until the bites of food on the plate are gone. When that is done, go back to your first plate or bowl and serve yourself another 3-4 bites, and repeat the entire process again (and again) until you are full and have gotten in your Protein.

Surpisingly - there are many facets of enjoying food that I never took the time to think of, including: Taste; Texture and Feel; Smell: What type of food it is (Mexican, Italian); How it was prepared; Where the food originated (Much of our food in the US comes to us from outside the US); How the food is going to benefit my body, etc. Now, I don't think thinking of these is something you routinely need to do - but the point is to focus on the food when you are eating.

Before my sleeve, I know I would rapidly eat until I reached a point of uncomfortableness and mental stupor. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to unconsciously eat - even if it is four bites of something. I don't want to eat until my new smaller stomach hurts (or slimes, or sends it back up). I want to eat until I am satisfied (not painfully full) - Tiffany calls this undereating her sleeve.

Good luck with slowing down the pace of your eating - it is a hard habit to break.