Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks post and discouraged

I am 2 weeks post op and only lost 3 lbs this past week. WTH. I was losing 3lbs a week on my own. I expected stalls and one to happen very soon, but I was hoping to knock off 20lbs first. It's a little disappointing. So, now I'm thinking I'll stall soon, maybe next week and who knows how long that will last? Weeks it seems by what others have said, so I didn't get my big weight loss post surgery that most seem to get. Bummer. This seriously sucks.

I know stalls suck. BUT, I really think everyone needs to be realistic and logical. Your body has been put through hell. Pumped full of fluids, anesthesia, meds, sleep deprivation, overridden with hormones, and we expect to just drop weight magically. Your body is so confused, and overwhelmed. Your liver is processing everything that was put in there.

I know we all want to see big numbers the first couple of weeks, to the first month, sadly our bodies need time to adjust and try to figure out everything that is going on.

Take measurements, keep following your plan, and please, allow your body to recover.

And, as difficult as it is, try not to compare your numbers on the scale to others. I don't know how much you have to lose, or how much you might have lost on the pre-op, but all of these factors contribute to how you will lose through the first year. From what I can tell, you've lost 65lbs pre-op so that in itself is a huge accomplishment. The biggest issue right now is that your body is just trying to figure out what the hell you've done to it.

Cheer up, Buttercup! 3 lbs lost in a week is normal. I have many weeks of 3 lbs weight loss and I feel like I'm losing at a really solid pace. I usually lose 2-4 lbs per week (some more, some less). It's true that this is an amount of weight that could be lost by dieting, but we didn't get sleeved to accelerate our weight loss (I hope). We got sleeved to help us make the necessary dietary changes to lose weight and keep it off. It's a tool to help us mend our shitty relationships with food. The fact that the weight comes off quickly is a byproduct.

As far as the stalls, I think you may be focusing on the negative. Not all stalls last for weeks. The 2nd-3rd week stall that most of us seem to get only lasted a week for me. It was a frustrating week, but I knew it couldn't last forever. If you take a step back and look at things logically, you'll realize that sticking to your plan cannot help but yield results. Calories in/calories out. It's as simple as that. Getting your Protein in will help to preserve your muscle mass. Your muscles are necessary to efficiently burn fat. Restricting your carbs to a reasonable amount will force your body to use your fat stores for energy. Water is like the oil that makes the machine perform at it best.

I'm sure you're doing everything that you're supposed to be doing, and I understand how upsetting it can be to do everything right and not have things turn out the way you expected. What's worse is that I'm sure you feel pretty crappy in comparison to the way you felt before surgery. Your energy is down, you don't understand your body anymore, eating and drinking have become a chore, and the whole thing really freaking sucks. Try to focus on the fact that this surgery WORKS. It works if you work your sleeve. You're gonna get there. I promise on my own Little Sleevie Wonder.

Heatherr, I know exactly how you feel ..scale has not moved from day 9 after surgery..nothing at all. I was so sad about it but know it's normal..just the frustration of going through all of this and not seeing the numbers go down. Hang inthere ..a year from know we will laugh at that little stall becasue we will all be so thin!!

Good luck!

In the 5 weeks that I've been sleeved, I've only lost 20 pounds. That's 4 pounds a week weight loss which is pretty darn good in my opinion. Of course, I would love for it to come off faster, but it will come off when it comes off.

Heather,

I feel your pain. I was sleeved Aug 8th and lost weight great the first week. 7 pounds. Then almost nothing. I lost one pound last week. I've been the same exact weight since Tuesday, August 13th. I'm so sad about it. Here I am in week 3 and I don't seem to be losing any this week either. I do track foods on myfitnesspal.com and I make sure I get my Protein and fluids. This totally sucks. I did not go through all the hoops of getting insurance approval and all the pain of surgery to lose this tiny amount of weight. Kinda pissed. :angry:

Heather,

Yes, it sucks. I was in exactly your position three months ago. I think it's more the norm than not. I lost 12.5 lbs the first week, 3 lbs the second week and then nothing. I didn't drop again for another week and a half. I had lost 43lbs in the three months prior to surgery. I couldn't understand. Most all of the people who were sleeved the same day as me had the same scenario. The best thing you can do is have someone hide the scale for you. Take your measurements (you really do lose inches when you are not losing pounds) and then don't worry about. I know that's easier said than done, but there is nothing you can do about it. The most important thing you CAN do about it is to make sure you get all of your Water, your Protein, keep your carbs low and take your Vitamins.

Fast foward three months. I still stall about every third week but only for a week or less. I still average 10 lbs a month. I do the Water, Protein, and <30g of carbs a day. My surgeon assures me that I am losing at the perfect rate. He said that others that are losing much faster are probably losing muscle by not getting their protein in. Still, it's frustrating because I was losing faster before the surgery. It seems to be coming off so slowly; however, I realized this week, I have lost 85+ lbs in the last six months, and for the first time in my life, I have a tool that will help me keep it off.

Hang in there. Remember, slow and steady wins the race everytime.

how are you doing now Heatherr? Hopefully things are moving along for you now..Crossing my finger for you now!!

how are you doing now Heatherr? Hopefully things are moving along for you now..Crossing my finger for you now!!

Awe, thanks! Yes, things started moving again and although I was stalled for a bit, I did lose inches. I didn't measure, but I had some shorts that were snug when I was 227lbs but at 228lbs were actually baggy. Hope everyone else is plugging along.