Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

It's a great decision. Make sure you have them show you proper form, even if you're just doing machines. The thing with weights is, you need to be very focused on increasing the weight you can lift...so you'll want to look online for some programs that will have gradually incrementing your weight every session.

If your gym has free weights, and I STRONGLY suggest you do free weights (you get more complete range of motion and recruit more muscle in other areas with free weights) and do a beginner program like Stronglifts 5x5. If you search that online, you'll see that Medhi (the guy who runs it) posts instructional videos that show you exactly how your form needs to be on each lift. There's also an iPhone/Android companion app that will help you track progress. You'll get really, really good results with Stronglifts...and as you get more knowledgeable, you'll be able to move into other programs to lift heavier and get even better gains. The other good program I recommend is Starting Strength, but it requires you to learn an powerlift called the power clean, which is a little more advanced than a beginner should really attempt.

Before long, you're going to see that the weight training causes pretty massive changes in your body composition and shape, as well as burning calories like crazy. A lot of serious weight trainers almost never hit the treadmill except to warm up...the calorie burn all comes from the muscle.

Plus, I just think it's fun to hit new milestones of weight that I can lift :)

PorkChopExpress, I have a new gym opening in my area soon and will definitely look into weight training in addition to getting cardio back on track. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

PorkChopExpress, I have a new gym opening in my area soon and will definitely look into weight training in addition to getting cardio back on track. Thanks!!

Edited by PorkChopExpress

for me 5 years out not making it to goal because of two pregnancies back to back I have only gained 17lbs I could not drop after having babies alone. working on it though and it is going great.

I got down to 187lbs but now I fluctuate between 214-216lbs. I'm not happy at all about the weight gain so I am trying to get back down to the 187lbs :(

May you could add an option for none as most people do not gain weight. I have gained none. It does fluctuate 2 pounds close to the mentrual period as normal but it goes away in a couple of days. biggrin.gif

In reality MANY people regain a significant amount of the weight they lost after having bariatric surgery. Research at one north Carolina clinic found that 30% regain all the weight in 2-3 years.

http://www.nawls.com/public/102.cfm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24463895

Estimates run between 30- 60. And almost everyone weight fluctuates 3-5 throughout out the day, every day.

May you could add an option for none as most people do not gain weight. I have gained none. It does fluctuate 2 pounds close to the mentrual period as normal but it goes away in a couple of days. biggrin.gif

In reality MANY people regain a significant amount of the weight they lost after having bariatric surgery. Research at one north Carolina clinic found that 30% regain all the weight in 2-3 years.http://www.nawls.com/public/102.cfm https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24463895

Estimates run between 30- 60. And almost everyone weight fluctuates 3-5 throughout out the day, every day.

Thanks for sharing. I think it's important for people to see these stats, but more importantly the data behind the stats.......

" weight regain happens when patients eat high-calorie soft foods that easily pass through the opening to the stomach. Others gain weight because they do not change their eating habits and do not lose much weight to begin with. Successful results depend on the patients willingness to adopt a long-term plan of healthy eating and regular physical activity."

Knowing this puts each of us in control of which side of the stats you end up on. Just like surgery is not the magic bullet for weightloss, statistics are not the magic formula for ultimate regain.

I wanted to let everyone know I have found that fasting has been working wonders for me. My weight loss has been incredibly slow. I had only lost about 70 lbs or so in the year and a half since surgery.

Since starting to fast I have lost around 10lbs or so. I have been following Dr Jason Fung MD in Canada. He has a blog and has now written two books. One is The Obesity Code and the second one is on fasting. Cant think of the name. Both are really great and explains a lot. He treats diabetes type 2 and is having excellent results. But you don't have to have diabetes to benefit from his advice.

I have completed 1 36 hour fast, 2 45 hour fasts and I just finished 1 70 hour fast. I eat very low carb anyway, under 25 carbs because I am so sensitive to them. I was already only eating once in the evenings so it was really no big deal to go until the following morning to eat something. So my last meal was Sunday evening then had coffee Monday morning only, then went the rest of the day and did not eat until Tuesday morning when I broke the fast with 2 deviled egg halves and coffee. That was a 36 hour fast. It was very easy for me.

I encourage you to get the books and read them. I have lost around 10lbs since starting this and has really gotten me excited about the possibility of reaching my goal. Over the summer I had just about given up on this possibility!

but I do see less loss with fewer bowel movements, sorry if TMI. As long as stuff is moving along, I seem to be heading in the right direction, and when stuff isn't moving, the scale doesn't, either.

/quote]

Hiya MeginNOLA,

I am suffering with Constipation, and have been doing so on and off for months... I have had trouble throughout all my adult life but it is really bad at the moment. I think I might have a form of IBS... I have started taking peppermint tea, green tea and colpermine tabs to see if that helps.

For a long time my hubby has said the same as you... he thinks that the irregular BM are impacting on my weight loss? He can vouch for my determination over the last 13mths since I got my sleeve!!

Do you really see a difference when you 'don't go'? I am a slow loser and I have been racking my brains as to why 'cos I am ticking all the boxes 95% of the time! Sorry for such a personal question =/

I have been dealing with the resulrts of constipation. I have only lost 0.2lbs this week because of constipation. I kinda wish "colonblow" was a real product because I would totally use it right now. Feeling bloated and icky on top of not losing sucks big time.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

@@QueenOfTheTamazons - I have the same problem and I take magnesium every night to help me go every day.

I did the 5:2 diet fasting only on Mon. and Thurs. but I find I just don't have the willpower to fast all day and all evening. I am trying to get the re- gain off but nothing helps.

I am still battling but it's much harder now. In the beginning, if I messed up, I could get it off really easily. That all changed at about 3 years. I gained a few lbs. from going to a family reunion and I was really good for weeks and it did not help.The 3 or 4 lbs just stayed there. Then I went somewhere else, and it happened again. I gained 3 lbs cause I don't have a lot of willpower plus I still have not lost the 4 lbs. from before. I have to really watch what I eat and it doesn't help at all that I have severe back problems and can barely walk let alone go work out like I did for 10 years.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I did the 5:2 diet fasting only on Mon. and Thurs. but I find I just don't have the willpower to fast all day and all evening. I am trying to get the re- gain off but nothing helps.

I am still battling but it's much harder now. In the beginning, if I messed up, I could get it off really easily. That all changed at about 3 years. I gained a few lbs. from going to a family reunion and I was really good for weeks and it did not help.The 3 or 4 lbs just stayed there. Then I went somewhere else, and it happened again. I gained 3 lbs cause I don't have a lot of willpower plus I still have not lost the 4 lbs. from before. I have to really watch what I eat and it doesn't help at all that I have severe back problems and can barely walk let alone go work out like I did for 10 years.

Try this site http://www.bariatriceating.com/

Great support and great options for getting that weight gain off and keeping it off, also my doctor suggested colace 100mg once a day with sugar free Fiber chews and that has greatly helped my Constipation. Wish you all the best