Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I've not eaten too much of anything "bad" and absoluty no simple carbs AT ALL. I can eat a whole fruit (plumb, peach, apple] with cheese or Peanut Butter and feel satisfied...but not for long. Maybe 45 to 60 minutes. I will eat several stalks of celery and humus oralmond butter after that. And an hour later I am scrounging again. I do not think I have much restriction at all.

How much? Completely depends on the food: Half a cup of cottage cheese= stuffed, Grab bag of Cheetos= not full and hungry again in an hour or two.

I am only a bit over 9 months out, hit my goal weight in June, and in mid-July hit 135 lbs. Since then, my weight has fluctuated between 134 lbs - 136 lbs depending on the time of the month for me and if I've been overdoing the sodium. One of the things that has really helped me maintain my weight is following the eating guidelines given to me by my NUT and bariatric team. I've also become very active and am now part of a women's rugby league again, which is fantastic because rugby was something I had to give up when I became obese since I couldn't do it physically any longer. As a mortician (funeral director), my job does entail lifting quite a bit (caskets and human bodies can be quite heavy!), so that also helps me keep in shape and active, as morbid as it sounds.

Overall, I think the combination of following the dietary guidelines I was given and being very physically active has really helped me maintain my weight loss. I don't plan on changing my eating or activity habits, so hopefully, I'll be stable where I am now for the foreseeable future. I am VERY happy here, as this is the weight I was before I gained over 100 pounds due to psychiatric medication, which is what started me on this path (I have severe schizoaffective disorder and was given Zyprexa, which pretty much made me gain 5 pounds the moment I filled the script, no joke). I'm now on a combination of weight-neutral medication that works for me with notes in both my physical and mental health files that I can no longer be put on any medications classified as weight-positive (THANK HEAVENS!).

It's been a long, long journey so far...but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Well this is hard for me to admit BUT I never got to goal went from 292 down to 238 then I fell off the wagon about 6 months after surgery. I have regained 32 lbs back over 2 years and I ate whatever I wanted and I didn't follow a single rule. I am now back to reading the boards and I am starting to track my food and exercise and get back on track.

We seem to be in the same boat.I also fell off after 6 months and decided to do whatever I wanted. I started at 397 and got down to 292 at my lowest and after two years post op I am at 322.3 as of this morning. I have to get back and on track. I two am searching the boards trying to find my way back. Good Luck!

@@Polara

I don't want to sound like a dick, but at 9 months out, you're still in your honeymoon period. It's easy right now. I'm 2 years out and have been maintaining within 5 or 6 pounds for almost a year, and my honeymoon period seemed to end at around 18 months. What I do know is it's getting harder and harder as each month goes by, as my hunger and cravings are returning and I notice I can eat so much more than at a year out. I am constantly fighting with that 5 pounds to make sure it doesn't become 10, 20, or 30. Sometimes it effing sucks and it's effing hard. And I hear year 3 is when the struggle really starts and weight seems to re appear for no apparent reason and becomes even harder to get off.

Don't get me wrong, you've completely got the right idea, and if you continue with that mindset you will be success at maintenance. But as long as you understand that the further out you get, the harder it becomes as the excitement of being thin wears off and the effectiveness of the surgery wanes until the effects become almost nil around year 5 and it's pretty much all on us at that point.

Also, my niece is a mortician, too!

Sorry you are having such a bad time Babbs. Obesity is a filthy,rotton disease. My surgeon who is tops told me ALL bariatric surgery fails in two years. Maybe there will be a chemical fix up the road.

After what you've been through you deserve a medal plus achieve thinness.

Sorry you are having such a bad time Babbs. Obesity is a filthy,rotton disease. My surgeon who is tops told me ALL bariatric surgery fails in two years. Maybe there will be a chemical fix up the road.

After what you've been through you deserve a medal plus achieve thinness.

I wouldn't say it fails, because technically the tool is still there for us to utilize. I know people who still have amazing restriction at 3+ years out, which helps them with maintenance. It's just easier to kind of ignore it and go back to bad habits further out as things really "normalize" for us. As long as we keep the same good habits and practice them more times than not, we should be good ;)

And yes, just like alcoholics, we never "get over" being obese. We always have to be aware that we can relapse if we let our guard down.

2anne et al

When I feel really rotten I say I failed it. When I get a bit out of the dumps I say I can start again...and I do. But the point is that we did not need this surgery in the first place because it isn't the answer to the problem. The answer is in our emotional and psychological control. Not physical. Unless that bacterial over bloom theory proves true. Or unless it really is a factor of both.

HI Y'all,I wanted to do some research with REAL people instead of reading about it in some report. I'm wondering how much weight (IF ANY) you have gained since being sleeved. I go up between 1-3 lbs. so my answer would be 1-5 lbs. I'm curious to see how this goes.Thanks!

This is a long thread and despite being a long time lurker, I have not read all of the replies. But my answer would be -2 or 15, depending on how you look at it. At almost 6 years out I am 2 pounds below my goal weight. But at one point I regained 15 pounds. This happened while I was hospitalized with a broken pelvis and femur. The hospital food was actually making me gain weight, but it was hard to tell because of all the swelling from the injuries and surgery and the fact I was wearing gowns instead of my real clothes.

As soon as I realized what was happening I nixed the hospital food and went back to eating the way I was before. The way it took to lose the weight in the first place. THAT, folks, is the key to long term success. Since I was in a wheelchair and then a walker for so long, it took me awhile to get those 15 pounds off. But I certainly didn't have sleeve surgery just to become fat again, and I've seen first hand from folks in my support group what happens when you let poor choices become a regular part of your life.

I admire your determination. I too refised all hospital food and insisred on eggs, cheese, yoghurt whatever i could get and strictly adhered to the diet during a couple of stays in the hosp. But there is something that negated that resolve later and i am bound and determined to discover an answer for this. NONE OF US HAD THE SURGERY TO PUT WEIGHT BACK ON A FEW YEARS LATER. I cant emphasize that enough.

There is something else at work here for those of us who have put on some weight years later. I do not think it is moral failure or weak resolve or falling off the wagon or whatever the convention is. I know it is not for me and i know thats not a delusion

Im going to see a functional medicine practitioner in October to the tune of $300 an hour. Hopefully she will help with intestinal bacterial overbloom and hopefully i will find the answer to my dilemma at least.

Research in the UK has showed that the 'wrong' gut bacteria causes obesity. The research is very exciting and may pave the way for bacterial treatment. That appt. you have Reallyrosie sounds very interesting.

regained 32 lbs back over 2 years

@@BrandNewBrandy

welcome back!!!

admitting you have a problem is half the solution

yes you gained some weight back :(

happens to the best of us

can't change the past

the future - one step in front of the other....

taking a big step forward in losing again

i know you can work hard and will become a success

one day and 1 lb at a time

i have confidence in you :rolleyes:

good luck bud

kathy

Research in the UK has showed that the 'wrong' gut bacteria causes obesity. The research is very exciting and may pave the way for bacterial treatment. That appt. you have Reallyrosie sounds very interesting.

Again, I haven't read this entire thread, but this post caught my eye. My daughter is a gastroenterologist and they are having outstanding results with fecal microbiota transplants in C. diff, IBD and Crohn's patients. Obesity is certainly another disease they are looking at with this treatment. However, she assures me it's not as simple as "get new poo and be skinny". Obesity is much too complex to have a simple cure. Genetics, flora, metabolic function and especially behaviors all contribute to varying degrees. If and when they do finally confirm the theory and start using FMT to treat obesity, it will only be a tool, just like surgery. What we eat is and always will be the final determination of our weight.