Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

@@Polara

I don't want to sound like a d**k, but at 9 months out, you're still in your honeymoon period. It's easy right now. I'm 2 years out and have been maintaining within 5 or 6 pounds for almost a year, and my honeymoon period seemed to end at around 18 months. What I do know is it's getting harder and harder as each month goes by, as my hunger and cravings are returning and I notice I can eat so much more than at a year out. I am constantly fighting with that 5 pounds to make sure it doesn't become 10, 20, or 30. Sometimes it effing sucks and it's effing hard. And I hear year 3 is when the struggle really starts and weight seems to re appear for no apparent reason and becomes even harder to get off.

Don't get me wrong, you've completely got the right idea, and if you continue with that mindset you will be success at maintenance. But as long as you understand that the further out you get, the harder it becomes as the excitement of being thin wears off and the effectiveness of the surgery wanes until the effects become almost nil around year 5 and it's pretty much all on us at that point.

Also, my niece is a mortician, too!

You don't sound like a d**k, and I get where you are coming from. Yes, I haven't been out of surgery long, and yes, I am aware of the "honeymoon period." My surgeon and support staff went over all that with me time and again before I made the decision to have the surgery. Nothing is a magical "fix-all" to obesity or weight issues, and yes, it will be constant work.

A large part of my weight issue stemmed from a psychiatric medication that I was given, as I mentioned earlier. It is called Zyprexa, and this is a very well-known side effect. It made my appetite go through the roof, and though my psychiatrist stopped it after a meeting with my GP and my appetite went back to "normal," the weight wouldn't come off. I followed a medically supervised diet to the T and went through the whole "yo-yo" effect because yes, the body does get used to having a new "normal" weight when you are obese and as far as I have been told, surgery is the only thing that can actually have a true long-term effect. It has now been written in every medical folder I have, psych and physical, that I cannot be put onto weight positive medication again, so if this fails, it is all on me.

I have a will of Iron...always have. It is one of the reasons I was so frustrated on my medically supervised diet where I was focusing on following it to the letter, doing what I was told, and having no success. I'm not saying I am better or worse off at anything than anyone else, but we are all different people with different backstories who have gone through different struggles. Most of the staff at my surgeon's office are bariatric patients themselves, many who have been post-op for a long time, and they have had success by following the plan given to them by their surgeon and using the tool they were given. I think that though it will be a struggle in the long term, and there is always the possibility of regain, it comes down to the individual and how closely they follow the lifestyle change they originally set upon and use the "tool" that is surgery.

I'm not trying to start some sort of forum flame war and I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I'm in this for the long haul. I wanted to get back to the healthy and active lifestyle I had before my weight gain, and that is what I have set my mind to ensuring happens. If I regain 5-10-15 pounds in a year or two or three, I will work double time like hell to get back to where I am now. There is absolutely nothing worth eating good enough to give up my health for...NOTHING. I see people on my table every day who die from issues related to obesity, and I've made up my mind that will not be me.

Professor Yeo at Cambridge University is leading this bacterial research in the UK Dairy Mary. It's groundbreaking and very promising.

@@Polara

I don't want to sound like a d**k, but at 9 months out, you're still in your honeymoon period. It's easy right now. I'm 2 years out and have been maintaining within 5 or 6 pounds for almost a year, and my honeymoon period seemed to end at around 18 months. What I do know is it's getting harder and harder as each month goes by, as my hunger and cravings are returning and I notice I can eat so much more than at a year out. I am constantly fighting with that 5 pounds to make sure it doesn't become 10, 20, or 30. Sometimes it effing sucks and it's effing hard. And I hear year 3 is when the struggle really starts and weight seems to re appear for no apparent reason and becomes even harder to get off.

Don't get me wrong, you've completely got the right idea, and if you continue with that mindset you will be success at maintenance. But as long as you understand that the further out you get, the harder it becomes as the excitement of being thin wears off and the effectiveness of the surgery wanes until the effects become almost nil around year 5 and it's pretty much all on us at that point.

Babbs kinda took the thoughts right out of my head! I hit goal in 10 months (248-135). Maintained for 2 years and now that I am over 3 years out, i have gradually gained about 10 lbs. Year 3 is no joke. I never had a problem getting off a few pounds and now it seems these pesky ones don't want to leave me. I am not terribly disappointed as I feel I look a little healthier but my pants are starting to not fit right and I swear I will NOT go up a size. That is a slippery slope for me.

As Babbs said, good for you on making goal and your attitude is AWESOME. I swear some times that is half the battle. Just be prepared that what works for you RIGHT NOW for maintenance might change the further down the line you get. Awareness is key! That is my motto. Be aware and mindful of my actions and what I put in my mouth. And don't ever think you got this under control for life. These boards have been my lifeline for the past 3 years. I may not post often, but I am on here reading and soaking up everyone's wisdom. I wish you luck and a sincere CONGRATS on your success thus far!

Lorie

@@Polara

Babbs kinda took the thoughts right out of my head! I hit goal in 10 months (248-135). Maintained for 2 years and now that I am over 3 years out, i have gradually gained about 10 lbs. Year 3 is no joke. I never had a problem getting off a few pounds and now it seems these pesky ones don't want to leave me. I am not terribly disappointed as I feel I look a little healthier but my pants are starting to not fit right and I swear I will NOT go up a size. That is a slippery slope for me.

As Babbs said, good for you on making goal and your attitude is AWESOME. I swear some times that is half the battle. Just be prepared that what works for you RIGHT NOW for maintenance might change the further down the line you get. Awareness is key! That is my motto. Be aware and mindful of my actions and what I put in my mouth. And don't ever think you got this under control for life. These boards have been my lifeline for the past 3 years. I may not post often, but I am on here reading and soaking up everyone's wisdom. I wish you luck and a sincere CONGRATS on your success thus far!

Lorie

Thanks! I try to maintain a positive attitude and outlook because I will become insanely anxious and paranoid otherwise. That's part of the territory that comes with my mental illness, and I find that sometimes the residual paranoia that always lurks in the back of my mind (regardless of anything including my medication, it will never be 100% gone, I've just learned to cope with it) can rear up a bit at the thought of backsliding even the smallest amount because I absolutely refuse to get where I was...or even above my personal goal if possible!

I have been told that maintenance needs change as time progresses, it is something I am very aware of. My surgeon, bariatric nurse, and NUT have reminded me time and again. It's always going to be a process and a work in progress, but I feel that making the right choices in regard to the foods I choose to put into my body and my levels of activity will help me stay on the right path.

One of the things that has been said again and again is that this isn't a diet...it's a lifestyle change. This process isn't only physical, but mental as well. It's re-evaluating your relationship with food and reforging a new, healthier way of life and how you nourish yourself in all aspects, especially your body. There will be temptation, and nobody is ever perfect 100% of the time...but being cognizant of the things you are eating (I use MyFitnessPal for tracking absolutely everything) so if pounds do return you can see where things are going wrong is a big help, I am sure!

Though what I need to do for maintenance will change over time, my desire to persevere and stick to the progress I have made will not. As time progresses, I will adjust as needed to keep myself healthy and where I want to be. The decision to have surgery and change my lifestyle is not something that was taken lightly and I know it is for life and is in no way a quick fix or instant solution.

I apologise for this diatribe, but I was a bit triggered in regard to my paranoia this morning after reading the reply to my post. I understand that it was meant to be helpful, but the paranoia got kicked off quite a bit and I stressed nearly all day. Perhaps explaining myself and why I am so positive that I'll have long term success is my way of justifying the fact that I made my original post about getting below the goal set by my surgeon and then sticking to it within a few pounds after only a bit over 9.5 months. I just felt the need to get this off my chest so I can feel less like I have to be in "defensive mode" and can continue trying to feel comfortable enough to form supportive bonds here.

Sorry again for the diatribe...I feel really awful for the two huge defensive verbal wall of text posts, but my mind won't rest until I get things out.

I'm back on the wagon again. I had a couple of months where I was just trying to accept my new weight.

Saturday night I wanted to go out. I couldn't find anything to fit me! Every top I tried on was tight across the stomach area. I have a huge muffin top that hangs over my jeans. It's bad enough that none of my pants fit and I had to go buy new pants. I am not about to replace all the clothes in my closet with bigger sizes. I am going to stay on track.

I did well on the 5:2 and I will probably follow some of the rules which is not to eat anything after dinner. That diet stopped my grazing and I lost 20 lbs pretty easily, until I fell off the wagon and started eating anything I wanted.

I'm back on the wagon again. I had a couple of months where I was just trying to accept my new weight.

Saturday night I wanted to go out. I couldn't find anything to fit me! Every top I tried on was tight across the stomach area. I have a huge muffin top that hangs over my jeans. It's bad enough that none of my pants fit and I had to go buy new pants. I am not about to replace all the clothes in my closet with bigger sizes. I am going to stay on track.

I did well on the 5:2 and I will probably follow some of the rules which is not to eat anything after dinner. That diet stopped my grazing and I lost 20 lbs pretty easily, until I fell off the wagon and started eating anything I wanted.

Oh my, can I relate to this!!! I have been trying to accept my new weight of 145 as my normal since it was my actual goal weight from the beginning. However, I got down to as low as 128 and now I get so distraught at the the thought of being 145. I know it's crazy! I feel good (better than at 128 even), people say I look better, but in my head, I'm a failure because I couldn't stay at 128-130.

My clothes don't fit as good and I am noticing that some of my fall clothing from last year is a little tight. I know I won't be happy unless I get down to 135 again so instead of trying to accept me at 145, I am going to fight for what I feel will be my happy place. This is definitely a mind game!!! I have to cut carbs, I know. They weaseled their way back in and I allowed it to happen. No time like the present to start, I guess. Good luck to you!

I am a little over a year out and gained about 10 pounds back. I have since lost 4 of that but what I found is that if I go back to the original foods and smaller portions my stomach seemed to tighten back up really quickly. Within 3 days of eating smaller portions of Soup and Protein shakes and staying away from any breads, I was feeling full very quickly again. This made me stronger to continue to get back on track.

Had my surgery 6 months ago, lost 59 lbs I gain between 1 to 4 lbs then lose those again. I just can't get to the 60 lbs mark. My husband had his surgery three weeks after me and he has lost 114 lbs with no gains at all.

My hubby does the same thing. Men just lose faster than women. I get very frustrated. But I just plod along...we don't talk much about exactly how much we've lost...just focus on body changes and loosing sizes in our clothes. Don't feel bad, it's biological chemistry. Just focus on you. You also may just be in a stall...it will get better.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Has anyone gained 70 or so back? I had mine done 8 years ago and 5 years ago i became pregnant and had a beautiful little girl. I didn't get approval from my new insurance until this year to see a team that deals with patients who have had the surgery done. I had to take the long route and ask for a revision to even get approval. I didn't want another surgery but if it was the only way to see the doctor and his support team then so be it. But after the baby i became depressed and basically im finally getting back to my normal self or well adjusting to a new normal. And the team is wonderful to me. I am currently doing a reset of 48 hours but i tend to emotionally eat. Im alot better but there are times when it hits me out of the blue. I do see a psychiatrist twice a month. But, if anyone has regained a huge amount what was the things or items that helped you get it back off? Im not cleared for anything other than a slow walk right now. Im hoping after 3 months of getting back to Vitamins and Protein shakes and higher Protein foods that i can get back into kettle bells but right now Dr. Condor says just walk about a half an hour a day.

Thank You!

I am 17 months post op band to sleeve revision. I reached my lowest weight of 169 at month 8 I think. But I would move 3-5 lbs up and down. I sat at 180 for a good 4 months but this past month I am up 5 more pounds. Reading these posts is inspiring. I am doing a full reset starting now! I was never at goal let alone going back to fat! This final 35-40 pounds needs to get and stay gone!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

One thing that I think a lot of people skip when they lose a lot of weight is, they don't ever hit the weights. They just do cardio. What burns calories all day long is your muscle mass, and you lose a ton of it due to the extreme calorie restriction of WLS. The good news is, if you were obese, at one point your body carried a LOT of muscle...and the muscle has a memory of being that size, so it's easier to build it back up.

I'd suggest to anyone who hasn't, and wants help maintaining their fat burning ability, to get involved with weight training and building muscle. Ladies, you aren't going to get "bulky" - trust me. But if you put on some lean muscle, you are going to find that you tone up, and you lose fat as your body composition changes. The muscle burns the fat. I would especially suggest working on compound lifts like squats and deadlifts. Check out Stronglifts 5x5 which is a great beginner strength training routine, with a cell phone app.

Remember...it's not all about the number on the scale, it's also about your body composition.

I actually received the lap band in 2010. I lost and keep off 100 lbs for almost 4 years. I started getting very sick with the band and had to make a decision to remove it completely or remove and do another selective surgery. I decided to get sleeved. I went 9 months with no band and gained back almost 50lbs. I had my sleeve surgery in 2014, I lost the 50lbs that I had gained back but that was it. The past year has been a very stressful year, losing a family member and watching my 19 year old daughter make one awful mistake after another. I was placed on an anti-depressant and just started packing on the pounds. From October 2015 to October 2016 I have gained 30lbs. I am struggling and frustrated. I feel like everything I try just fails. I can use any advice/feedback that anybody has......Thank you!!!

Crybaby... I feel for you. We are in the same boat. I just can't lose with the sleeve. I lost 42 pounds in 8 months with my revision to sleeve. During the past 12 months I have wavered bw 175-185....which is the longest I have stayed that low in my adult life. I feel ok but I just do not understand why I cannot lose more. I live in fear bc my scale bounces up and down... each time creeping a pound or two higher then back down. So scared I will be 230-260 again.

I am trying to go back to Protein and Water goals which even though I can't eat large volumes I have not been meeting those goals lately. Stress is a BIG factor!

Don't give up.... we did all of this for a reason. Keep in touch!

PorkChopExpress, I have a new gym opening in my area soon and will definitely look into weight training in addition to getting cardio back on track. Thanks!!

I actually received the lap band in 2010. I lost and keep off 100 lbs for almost 4 years. I started getting very sick with the band and had to make a decision to remove it completely or remove and do another selective surgery. I decided to get sleeved. I went 9 months with no band and gained back almost 50lbs. I had my sleeve surgery in 2014, I lost the 50lbs that I had gained back but that was it. The past year has been a very stressful year, losing a family member and watching my 19 year old daughter make one awful mistake after another. I was placed on an anti-depressant and just started packing on the pounds. From October 2015 to October 2016 I have gained 30lbs. I am struggling and frustrated. I feel like everything I try just fails. I can use any advice/feedback that anybody has......Thank you!!!

I'm sorry you've gone through so much grief and distress.

Several antidepressants have been linked to weight gain, so it's possible that could be contributing to yours. I gained 30 pounds quite rapidly from taking Zoloft for grief. I've had more success with a low dose of Wellbutrin (a higher dose caused insomnia and hair loss), though some people haven't been benefitted from it. I've started to read reviews of every medicine I take to better understand the experiences people have on it, so I can be aware of possible side effects.

There's a bariatric surgeon named Dr. Matthew Weiner who has several videos on YouTube. In one of them he discusses common reasons for why people gain weight post WLS, and lists medication as a leading cause.

Edit:

This is the video:

About 5-6 minutes in he lists reasons for weight regain, and talks about medication.

Edited by Clementine Sky