Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I had my surgery June 1' date=' 2011. I have lost 150 lbs total. But I went to my year checkup yesterday and I did not lose one pound in the last three months. My Dr. was not happy since I have about 44 more to go. He said I should not have leveled off this soon. His advice for me was to drink two shakes, eat a "box meal" and drink 64 oz of Water a day. At first I couldn't figure out what a "box meal" was but then I asked if it was like a Lean Cuisine and he said yes. That is the first time I have ever heard of a Dr. telling someone to eat one of those meals. Has anyone else heard of that?[/quote']

I'm on my preop and I drink 3 shakes and one lean cuisine a day per drs orders

To Souledout.... My doctor also recommended box meals as well. The reason is to keep the calories controlled. I found some box meals that had a substantial amount of whole grains and protein.... some are pretty healthy.

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

I will keep you all posted as I will look for stength and encouragement as I start this journey again.

Steve

Thanks for posting.

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

I will keep you all posted as I will look for stength and encouragement as I start this journey again.

Steve

I just wanted a clarification when you say you had a vsg in 1999, are you positive you had a sleeve gastrectomy or was it a bypass?. I didnt realize the surgery had been around that long or that you could gain all your weight back plus some from diet pepsi and of course other stuff. Do you still feel any restriction? I am thinking that maybe you had a bypass or something that would explain it. I know with bypass, you can stretch your pouch out to the way it was presurgery. At any rate, I hope you find an answer that will help you to lose the weight again. Just wanted to be sure we were talking apples to apples. Thanks and good luck. The DS is a good surgery too I hear and people have great success with it as a second step. Good luck to you!

I'm wondering how much weight (IF ANY) you have gained since being sleeved. I go up between 1-3 lbs. so my answer would be 1-5 lbs.

Gained weight after being sleeved?

As in weigh MORE now than they did prior to being sleeved?

I've never heard of anyone who gained weight from being sleeved.

Gained weight after being sleeved?

As in weigh MORE now than they did prior to being sleeved?

I've never heard of anyone who gained weight from being sleeved.

Most people do not stay the same from month to month... or week to week... most have a "bounce" weight range... or perhaps have gained some from their all time after surgery low weight. Some even gain it all back and some, but not that many as far as I can tell. Some statistics find that there is a three year bounce... around 15% regained(I think it was that much) from after surgery low...for many. Such as lose 100 lbs, then gain 15 pounds.

Hi All:

Thank's to whoever started this thread. I have found it very insightful. I had surgery in April 2011. In the first year I lost 107 pounds. I still need to lose about 25 more. In the last three months I have not lost a pound, and in fact have gained 5 pounds in the last month (vacation plus no exercise). I am shocked by both how fast the weight goes back on and how easy it has been for me to "eat around the sleeve."

In the past two weeks I have tried to get back on track. 10,000 steps per day, 1200 calories per day. I do have some emotional eating issues, particularly around "dessert" type foods after dinner (chocolate, ice cream, pop corn). I find myself just thinking about food all the time in the evening. I am trying to figure out how to handle those emotions without stuffing my mouth!

Overall, I am thrilled with the sleeve. The reality is sinking in however, that wanting to overeat will ALWAYS be an issue for me. However, two years ago I was over 265 pounds and had several co-morbidities. I am in a MUCH BETTER PLACE today and I am grateful.

I attend a support group weekly, sometimes two. I owe a lot of my "success" to those others who are fighting these issues with me.

THANKS for listening!

Hi All:

Thank's to whoever started this thread. I have found it very insightful. I had surgery in April 2011. In the first year I lost 107 pounds. I still need to lose about 25 more. In the last three months I have not lost a pound, and in fact have gained 5 pounds in the last month (vacation plus no exercise). I am shocked by both how fast the weight goes back on and how easy it has been for me to "eat around the sleeve."

In the past two weeks I have tried to get back on track. 10,000 steps per day, 1200 calories per day. I do have some emotional eating issues, particularly around "dessert" type foods after dinner (chocolate, ice cream, pop corn). I find myself just thinking about food all the time in the evening. I am trying to figure out how to handle those emotions without stuffing my mouth!

Overall, I am thrilled with the sleeve. The reality is sinking in however, that wanting to overeat will ALWAYS be an issue for me. However, two years ago I was over 265 pounds and had several co-morbidities. I am in a MUCH BETTER PLACE today and I am grateful.

I attend a support group weekly, sometimes two. I owe a lot of my "success" to those others who are fighting these issues with me.

THANKS for listening!

I feel much the same way about this site being the reason for much of my success. While its still up to us individually to do what we know to do, being able to come here and read about other people at all different stages of their journey is helpful beyond words. Even though I'm nearly at goal, I find it helpful to read others who are still at different stages of their weight loss journey. It helps remind me of the different struggles I have experienced, and it is also sometimes a reality check for me that the struggle isn't over just because I reach goal. I have learned a lot about myself during this journey, particularly how carb sensitive my body is and how sugar triggers such horrible demons for me. I only hope that I stay in touch with the things I have learned over the coming years so that I can sustain this weight loss. It seems silly if not almost stupid to think "why would a person allow that to happen after working that hard....", but the sad fact is that when we get into those self destructive spirals sometimes they can become really difficult to stop.

Here's to healthy living for all of us!

I feel much the same way about this site being the reason for much of my success. While its still up to us individually to do what we know to do, being able to come here and read about other people at all different stages of their journey is helpful beyond words. Even though I'm nearly at goal, I find it helpful to read others who are still at different stages of their weight loss journey. It helps remind me of the different struggles I have experienced, and it is also sometimes a reality check for me that the struggle isn't over just because I reach goal. I have learned a lot about myself during this journey, particularly how carb sensitive my body is and how sugar triggers such horrible demons for me. I only hope that I stay in touch with the things I have learned over the coming years so that I can sustain this weight loss. It seems silly if not almost stupid to think "why would a person allow that to happen after working that hard....", but the sad fact is that when we get into those self destructive spirals sometimes they can become really difficult to stop.

Here's to healthy living for all of us!

I resemble all these remarks. Not about the deserts but salty chips etc. Do any of u eat fruit?

I eat fruit like it's going out of style. Great source of good carbs, Fiber and Vitamins. Bananas, oranges, plums, peaches ... all good.

I eat fruit like it's going out of style. Great source of good carbs, fiber and Vitamins. Bananas, oranges, plums, peaches ... all good.

I used to, prior to surgery. Now the surgeon suggested strongly that if I eat these carbs, I risk not being able to control my hunger and won't lose weight.

I know these fruits are "good for us" but he scared me out of my mind and I don't know what to do. I'm disgusted with all the Protein (esp meat) and want fruit desperately . I think the more fruit I have, the fewer caloriesand fat I will consume...but eating the Protein until full and then veggies is counter intuitive.

At 15 months out I still eat Protein first followed by vegetables. I have one serving of fruit per day...no more. I eat zero rice, Pasta, or potato. The only bread I eat is the double Protein bread for Breakfast with Peanut Butter. The only Cereal I eat is Kashi with high protein.

I also crave salty snacks! Its better if I leave them totally along. My only exception is 100 calorie popcorn bags. The extra Fiber seems to help me (yikes!). I do find that if I keep myself "full" on protein, the cravings for other foods aren't so bad. One more thing....I was told right after surgery that "hunger" is often thirst. When I feel like I want to eat something I will drink 8 ounces first and then wait 10 minutes. Often the desire to eat will go away.

I used to, prior to surgery. Now the surgeon suggested strongly that if I eat these carbs, I risk not being able to control my hunger and won't lose weight.

I know these fruits are "good for us" but he scared me out of my mind and I don't know what to do. I'm disgusted with all the Protein (esp meat) and want fruit desperately . I think the more fruit I have, the fewer caloriesand fat I will consume...but eating the Protein until full and then veggies is counter intuitive.

I should have prefaced my post with disclosing that I am at goal. I didn't do this while in losing mode, but I did not exclude fruit. For me, the low carb route was not the way to go. IMO, our bodies need the carbs for energy so you can do all the activities you need to do to lose weight.

Low carbs = Low energy = low exercise = (s)low weight loss.

I never eat protein until I am full as I always want to have room for the veggies. I eat at least half of my portion, 1.5-2 oz first. I think that signals my stomach that, "Hey, we have some work to do here, so no opening of the pyloric valve!" Then, when I eat the veggies, they sit in my stomach with the Proteins digesting and give me that full feeling, which it does.

Last night, 3 oz of rotisserie chicken with stewed tomatoes. Two bites chicken, two spoonfulls tomatoes (carrots/onions/peppers), two bites chicken. I'm done and full.

Hi All:

THANKS for listening!

Sugar is totally my trigger too and I finally realized that I need to give it up to maintain . The first few days are tough but then I feel much better- on an even keel, good energy, and no cravings. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am at goal (for 12 weeks now), work out a TON, and got to my goal the low carb way. I am determined to maintain this loss!

I was in a habit of having a little sugar (ie a couple of cinnamon bears lol) before Zumba, for example, but it triggered binging for me. When I gave it up I was much better.

That said I know there will be sugar in my life at times, I just need to plan for it and then get right back on track afterwards. Luckily I have a very strong will and have so far found it relatively easy to get back on track- probably because I know I will have treats sometimes, and also because being size 8 for the first time in my life is a huge treat in itself!

Anyway I really recommend you detox from processed sugar and I think you will be at goal with that help.

Good luck!

re: the fruit posts, now that I am at goal and because i work out 20 plus hours a week, I allow a lot more carbs including fruit. I still find it impossible to eat a banana after the fear of its 30 carbs was so ingrained during my extreme losing phase! But hey- summer with its peaches, nectarines, melon- YUMM!

I should have prefaced my post with disclosing that I am at goal. I didn't do this while in losing mode, but I did not exclude fruit. For me, the low carb route was not the way to go. IMO, our bodies need the carbs for energy so you can do all the activities you need to do to lose weight.

Low carbs = Low energy = low exercise = (s)low weight loss.

I never eat Protein until I am full as I always want to have room for the veggies. I eat at least half of my portion, 1.5-2 oz first. I think that signals my stomach that, "Hey, we have some work to do here, so no opening of the pyloric valve!" Then, when I eat the veggies, they sit in my stomach with the Proteins digesting and give me that full feeling, which it does.

Last night, 3 oz of rotisserie chicken with stewed tomatoes. Two bites chicken, two spoonfulls tomatoes (carrots/onions/peppers), two bites chicken. I'm done and full.

I think, reading your reply, that MY problem is what to do after I'm full. I do get the sense of fulness and sometimes overly so, like just before when I walked doggie, I felt so stuffed that I wondered if I would hurl in the street. I didn't. But am tired, my feet hurt and I've had a looong day. When we came in, I sat to watch tv and blamed if I didn't drink a whole bottle of Vitamin zeio and THEN reach for nuts. I think I'm nuts, literally.

I do hear from u and others that I'm not done yet or at a point where I can change my diet at will. I've only lost 101# and I have almost another 100 to go as much as that brings congratulations, I'm still over 200Lbs. I get scared when I think of how much I've lost and wonder if I'm sick and actually feel weak...which is ludicrous (sp??). I still work out 5 to 6 times a week

I can and I will continue with the program at least for the year. I ve never been at a right weight for more than a few weeks. It's a huge challenge.

(Yes, I do hafe a shrink I'm working with 2x a week)