Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I really can't keep any type of goodies in the house. There is already fattening food that's actually healthy, and not empty calories that I could easily gain weight on. It drives me crazy because I know I could easily gain 20 lbs if I didn't watch it so closely.

That's okay though. I'm pretty happy for a 60 year old woman. When I see other women my age in their frumpy clothes, I am ecstatic with my sleeve! :D

Like Oregon Daisy, I am more than two years out from surgery. Take her advice, and don't keep goodies in the house.

What i find is that now my calorie intake is so much lower that any extra calories stay on my hips. I am up a size from my lowest and almost 10 lbs. Went into a support group meeting at my surgeon's office this last week learning an amazing fact. If you only eat an extra 11 calories a day - that is a pound a year. So that means if I eat 100 extra calories over a day for a year, I'm up my 10 pounds. So I really need to cut that 100 calories a day for a year and I will lose my 10 pounds. While I have tried going to the gym for several months, the scale simply does not move.

More difficult to lose weight now since my caloric intake is so low comparatively to the old me pre VSG. Hmm, take OD's suggestion and don't bring temptation into the home. Good advice.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

I go up a pound or 2 now and then, and then it comes back down plus extra. I am 4 months out.

Hi, the same thing has happened to me, I go up a pound or two, then I lose it plus a bit more.... I will be a year out on March 2013

It's been a year and I have lost 68lbs.. I have not gained but I'm @ a stand still needing to really readjust my diet & carefully watch everything I eat.. It's so frustrating but grateful @ the same time... I want to lose another 15 to 20 lbs... Is anyone else experiencing these issues??

yep life is a b***h...I have been at a stand stil now for 2 months...sick of it....got to get to that gym i joined a few months ago....lol.....i have 35 to go....it sucks....i thought it would just keep coming off....hell Im not eating a thing hardly....what is with this.....now what do we do....?????

How are you doing? We were sleeved the same day. Do you track your food anywhere? I use myfitnesspal - I honestly think I will always have to track.

Thanks for the kind replies. I know it's only been 2 days since I posted that but I'm updating to say it's still really hard but I'm going to keep trying and plugging away. I will let you know when it starts coming back off!

Never gained but I'm only 4 months out on 1/4/13.

I am very excited that I am going to be able to afford to hire a trainer for a few sessions. I am so sick of my routines and I need to learn new exercises.

I was really lucky that even though I slipped up a few times during the past few weeks during the holidays, I managed to stay the same weight that I have been for a year.

I am hoping with the trainer, I'll be able to take off some of the 10 I've gained back. So far, this last year, I've had no success at getting it to come off.

Oregondaisy,this is to figure things out for myself.Are you low carbing now trying to lose the 10 pounds? Am trying to figure out if low carb will always have the same results or not.

I don't lose weight if I have a lot of carbs. I will eat some carbs, and don't eliminate them completely. I eliminate bread , and other white carbs like potatoes and noodles. But I will eat a sweet potato.

I eat Greek yogurt Dannon light and fit and it has 8 carbs. The carbs I eat are from veggies and sometimes a little bit of fruit.< /p>

My main problem is snacking at night.

OMG..I JUST SAW UR BEFORE AFTER PIC..I TEARED UP....ILL BE UP FOR MY SLEEVE IN APRIL....I WANNA LOOK AS GOOD AS YOU.....NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN UNDER 180..AND WHEN I WAS..IT LASTED LIKE A DAY..LOL...

Hi Oregondaisy,

Ok,so when you snack at night,what kind of Snacks made you gain?

I snack at nite also but very,very controlled and very well planned! I now dont eat after 20:30 but will have sf popcicle when I have a night when I am walking up and down between the kitchen and the family room looking for something "nice" (am not allowed to eat anything until I can figure out what "nice's" name is,and at 10 months havent figured that out yet)

Its good to find out what will help and what will hinder in future as I am really scared that I will start gaining.I am still losing and should be at dr's goal next week.Still going to lose 10 after that but I am eating all the food I want and need and think maintenance might be just the same at least for a while.Happy for it to stay like this!

My snacking at night can consist of anything anyone else is eating, or if it's just me,

I always have a 100 calorie pack of chocolate dusted almonds. Then later I might want a carb smart fudsicle, a sf chocolate, a sf pudding, the list goes on. I try to limit it to one snack after dinner, but it's bad if someone else has brought junk food into the house.

I have a really bad dessert habit, something neither me nor my husband really needs, so we're working on cutting it down from a daily thing to an occasional treat. I find I can work something sweet into the end of my day and still be within my calorie goals, particularly if I've gotten a good workout in. And, if I have a healthy treat I love, I'm not really tempted by the ice cream or whatever my husband's having.

At the moment, if I have dessert it's either microwave Protein pudding, or tofu pudding. I'm sure that sounds really weird, but the tofu doesn't really have any flavor, it just gives it body, and creaminess, and a boost of protein.

Part of it's really the mental game. I'm not entirely ready to give up dessert entirely or have it become a holidays-only thing, so I need to find some options that I really enjoy that are still good for me and don't send me into a sugar death spiral. And, if I'm eating it, I'm really focusing on enjoying it. The other part I'm working on is really questioning why I still am so attached to sweet food as a comfort or a reward, something I "deserve".

I'm working on taking off some serious regain from the holidays, but at the moment I feel like I can do this.

I have a really bad dessert habit, something neither me nor my husband really needs, so we're working on cutting it down from a daily thing to an occasional treat. I find I can work something sweet into the end of my day and still be within my calorie goals, particularly if I've gotten a good workout in. And, if I have a healthy treat I love, I'm not really tempted by the ice cream or whatever my husband's having.

At the moment, if I have dessert it's either microwave Protein pudding, or tofu pudding. I'm sure that sounds really weird, but the tofu doesn't really have any flavor, it just gives it body, and creaminess, and a boost of protein.

Part of it's really the mental game. I'm not entirely ready to give up dessert entirely or have it become a holidays-only thing, so I need to find some options that I really enjoy that are still good for me and don't send me into a sugar death spiral. And, if I'm eating it, I'm really focusing on enjoying it. The other part I'm working on is really questioning why I still am so attached to sweet food as a comfort or a reward, something I "deserve".

I'm working on taking off some serious regain from the holidays, but at the moment I feel like I can do this.

After reading this post, it dawned on me that I am no longer craving or wanting sugar. In fact, I'm looking for the healthy carbs that turns into sugar now and struggle with adding them to my diet. Can you need for sweets be something related to our high protein eating habits? In a diabetes class I'm taking, the dietician explained that when we don't eat a well balanced meal, we are still hungry due to a deficit in carbs. I know that we are all looking for answers and we have all come this far and will continue on this upward trail.... Yep, we've done it...... :)

Well, I'm pretty sure the strong CRAVINGS for sugar, the ones that have me constantly obsessing about it, squirreling it away, munching on it all day, are definitely dietary, because when I went on the super low carb high Protein pre-op diet they completely disappeared, and now that I'm taking L-Glutamine I don't struggle with that either. We have a food court in our office building, and there are all sorts of temptations, but they don't really call to me now. But if I have much in the way of sugars or carbs that can send me spinning down into a spiral of out of control cravings. Now, I still think of sweets as a comfort or a reward after a stressful day, or when I just feel like I deserve something, but it's different, because it's just the mental association of chocolate = rewards. I manage that, partly by working on the mental part of it, and partly with small amounts of substitutes that don't spike my blood sugar. It's easiest when I'm managing from both ends, but it's been a real revelation that it's not all "stress eating" or "emotional eating" - part of it really is my body wanting something because of an imbalance and that's where the supplements have made my life SO much easier. I feel like I can resist like a "normal" person.