Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I wonder what their body composition is. I'm not just interested in being thin but having a low body fat percentage. I know plenty of people that weigh what I do that don't go to the gym and they are soft and mushy with unattractive bodies. Mine is hard and firm. That's what I'm after...not just a number on the scale. And I want good blood panels too. And food has everything to do with that, especially as we get older.

Laura

Shoot, I have no idea what her body composition is. She was a cheerleader in HS and looks about like she did in her annual. She's always had 'good arms' and doesn't even bake with 'Lite' Butter - that's all I know! LoL I'd kill for her arms!!!

Body fat. That's something I haven't even thought about, I lost weight, fat disappeared.....I call it a success!!

My bloodwork has always been good, but it was good prior to surgery. Cholesterol, prior to sugery was between 125 - 135, NO MEDICATION EVER. Doctor said I should fram the results. Nothing has changed since surgery. To be honest, the only reason I surgery was pure vanity, I wanted to have cute clothes. I do tell people it was 'preventive maintenence'. Maybe I've avoided issues ten years from now, right??!!! I had to come up with SOMETHING to explain having 85% of my tummy removed other than, 'I want to have fun shopping'.

Hard and firm.....makes me laugh and I could slide right into the gutter with that, but I shant!!

I'm shallow, I admit it - I want to look good in clothes and have a good time finding them. I've accomplished that. I was lucky, I don't have an 'apron' where I might consider a Tummy Tuck. The arm surgery is painful according to a friend of mine, and leaves scars. I'm 53, I'm not going sleeveless no matter what.... I'm happy as a clam. I 'went back together' pretty good, as a friend of mine put it. I'm a mother to two and a DeeDee to three....happily married 34 years....I have no complaints. No health issues before, and thank God, none now or I'd never live it down.

I'm focused on losing three pounds just to see if I can. I'm below goal and have been for 2.5 years.

I feel your pain around Girl Scout Cookies. I opened a box while I was driving home thinking I can stop at 3 Cookies (I already KNEW I couldn't stop at just ONE!)

Before I knew it, after my 15 minute drive, there were 8 cookies LEFT! I too gave away the rest.

So glad im not the only one . Girl scout Cookies are totally my down fall. Luckily my skinny husband had no problem polishing them off for me

I guess I'm lucky, I always thought that girl scout Cookies were an overpriced disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'd eat them if there was an open package around, but they don't "call" to me. That said, I found a recipe online for no-bake "thin mint cookies" made with Protein Powder that I'm seriously considering trying!

http://www.nutritionistinthekitch.com/2013/01/27/raw-protein-packed-thin-mint-cookies-can-be-vegan-gluten-free/

I guess I'm lucky, I always thought that girl scout Cookies were an overpriced disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'd eat them if there was an open package around, but they don't "call" to me. That said, I found a recipe online for no-bake "thin mint cookies" made with Protein powder that I'm seriously considering trying!

http://www.nutrition...an-gluten-free/

I'm with you, I always thought they were over priced and I never cared for them, I'd much rather have a Pecan Sandy or chocolate Covered Graham! My DH would buy a box of the thin mint ones if somebody was selling them at the office, but the only 'mint' I like is Andi's Mints, a mint cookie, i wasn't interested, he had them all to himself! :)

I know you can do it, we do have to be aware of everything we do. I log my food, but there are some things I do NOT even bother counting.....and they do add up, and CAN add up to 100 calories in a blink of an eye!!! I add a little 2% milk (although I DRINK skim) to my THREE cups of coffee. Not even enough to try and log.....BUT, it adds up. Also, when I scramble an egg, I put a little butter in the pan, a teaspoon at the most, but I do NOT log that either!!! Jeeeeeze....and we all know how food tasting when we're cooking can add up to a meal almost!!! I did stop doing that almost totally before surgery.

Sooooo, I am playing with changing up what I do, just a little. This morning, rather than two scrambled eggs, I had one egg and one egg white. One egg white is 17 calories, the egg is 70. I got my two eggs, less calories. Less Protein too, but still 3.6 grams for the egg white!

I'm rambling. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions, tell me. What changes are you going to have to make? What will you have to leave out to cut calories??!!!

Good luck!!

I agree, I really need to track my food, and I do track my food, but it can be really hard to pinpoint the calories -- and like you mentioned, oh so easy to forget to track the little bites here and there. I like to cook a lot, and many recipes do not have any nutritional information. For example, on Sunday I made a pot of Taco Soup. It's a great slow carb meal (lean ground beef, chili Beans, tomatoes, a can of kernel corn, and spices). However, trying to figure out the calories per serving is a colossal pain. I would basically have to find out the calories of each ingredient, tally them together, and divide by the number of servings. Seriously, I do not have time for that! So I guesstimate. If I guesstimate on the high end, all is well, but if I'm wrong then I just added 2-3 extra days of dieting to lose one lb.

What I have cut out since getting back on track is all empty carbs (my weakness). No chips, crisps, crackers, pretzels, etc. I really developed a bad habit of eating baked Snacks and telling myself they're not so bad as fried ... NOT! They chew down to nothing, and it is truly astonishing and scary how many Trader Joe's baked O rings (snacky onion rings like Funyuns) one can consume without realizing. No Desserts, no chocolate, no candy. Really almost no sugar at all. No bread. I have had some Pasta but only a small amount (1/4 - 1/3 cup) to go with meat sauce (homemade, again hard to know the calorie count exactly) and I'm going to get rid of the Pasta.

Gosh I wish I had gotten serious about losing weight when the scale crept up 3 lbs. instead of 10. Now I have a couple months' slog to get back down to where I was ... and then a couple months beyond that to get to my ultimate goal.

I know that we are very determined people.....

We will get this under control.

I so wanted a cookie yesterday and today, flamin hot cheetos..... I didn't give in, and I'm not going too.

But my head hunger is getting out of control......

Tomorrow i should be down a little bit, and hopefully my ring starts slippin on my finger......

When my ring falls off my finger, then I know I'm done losing weight........

Right now, I'm just going to focus on eating healthy foods...... :)

I wish it was not such a struggle.

Didn't we have WLS so we would stop all this struggling?

I've been doing way better lately. It's really hard though when my boss puts a bowl of chocolate covered raisins on my desk. I had a handful, then put a bunch of papers on top of the bowl so I didn't have to look at them.

Regain and "bounce back" weight is expected, but it's really hard to accept. I will keep fighting!

Well, good news is I lost 1.4 lbs. this week but man it was HARD -- I was like, "woot?! ONLY 1.4 lbs. after all that deprivation? It should have at least been 2 lbs!" I hate fighting hunger. I get hungry like clockwork every 3 hours, and even trying tips like drinking Water or doing something to distract myself doesn't help much. I am so envious of sleevers who don't ever feel hungry ... that is so not me!

I am so hungry at times and I'v started grazing......am working on not grazing and working on increasing my Water intake also......I have lost 1 lb after refocusing myself and staying away from the sugars etc..... :)

I agree, I really need to track my food, and I do track my food, but it can be really hard to pinpoint the calories -- and like you mentioned, oh so easy to forget to track the little bites here and there. I like to cook a lot, and many recipes do not have any nutritional information. For example, on Sunday I made a pot of Taco Soup. It's a great slow carb meal (lean ground beef, chili Beans, tomatoes, a can of kernel corn, and spices). However, trying to figure out the calories per serving is a colossal pain. I would basically have to find out the calories of each ingredient, tally them together, and divide by the number of servings. Seriously, I do not have time for that! So I guesstimate. If I guesstimate on the high end, all is well, but if I'm wrong then I just added 2-3 extra days of dieting to lose one lb.

What I have cut out since getting back on track is all empty carbs (my weakness). No chips, crisps, crackers, pretzels, etc. I really developed a bad habit of eating baked Snacks and telling myself they're not so bad as fried ... NOT! They chew down to nothing, and it is truly astonishing and scary how many Trader Joe's baked O rings (snacky onion rings like Funyuns) one can consume without realizing. No Desserts, no chocolate, no candy. Really almost no sugar at all. No bread. I have had some Pasta but only a small amount (1/4 - 1/3 cup) to go with meat sauce (homemade, again hard to know the calorie count exactly) and I'm going to get rid of the Pasta.

Gosh I wish I had gotten serious about losing weight when the scale crept up 3 lbs. instead of 10. Now I have a couple months' slog to get back down to where I was ... and then a couple months beyond that to get to my ultimate goal.

Do you log your food on line? I use fitday.com and for instance, I enter spaghetti, and it will bring up with our without meat......it may not be exact, but it's close and you can also enter specific foods if they don't have it. I really like this on line logging system, it's easy for me. I've been doing it for almost three years now.

I have gotten all the numbers for all the ingredients several times, and you're right, it is a pain!!!! I find something close if it isn't in the list and go with it!!!

That's why I weigh every morning, I know I can shed two or three lbs in no time, but with ten, I'd feel overwhelmed!! You can do it though, will just take a little longer!!! Good luck and thanks for your story!

I wish it was not such a struggle.

Didn't we have WLS so we would stop all this struggling?

I've been doing way better lately. It's really hard though when my boss puts a bowl of chocolate covered raisins on my desk. I had a handful, then put a bunch of papers on top of the bowl so I didn't have to look at them.

Regain and "bounce back" weight is expected, but it's really hard to accept. I will keep fighting!

this is soooo juvenile, but it works for me. If we are sitting in a restaurant and I am finished and there isn't anything I'm taking, I'll pour salt on it, food, bread, whatever. Not fit for consumtion!!! LoL Just an idea!

I am so hungry at times and I'v started grazing......am working on not grazing and working on increasing my Water intake also......I have lost 1 lb after refocusing myself and staying away from the sugars etc..... :)

I find if I eat more solid Protein, I have less physical hunger issues. I still have to deal with head hunger, but with enough Protein in me, physical hunger has not been a problem. Also, it might be acid tummy instead of hunger.

Lynda

I think your right. when i eat chicken or something really dense, I'm not so hungry.....today I have been grazing on horrible stuff, so I am going to make sure I have some good chicken, tuna, or nuts that will fill my tummy. :)

I think I will be doing better, at least for now. I told my bf to move out and he did. We were having a lot of issues about money . I do miss him, but it's for the best.

Now I can go back to not cooking big meals and not keeping all that bad stuff he ate in the house. I've already lost 2 lbs.