Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Can you tell me what TOM is? Just wondering :) Been snooping on this side just to see what people say since having the sleeve. This is a great poll by the way!!!!

Can you tell me what TOM is? Just wondering :) Been snooping on this side just to see what people say since having the sleeve. This is a great poll by the way!!!!

Time of month. Apparently "period" is a dirty word around here?

Haha....on other forums I've been on it's AF. *Aunt Flow* ;) Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

I'm only two and a half weeks out, so I haven't gained any, but I don't think you're gonna find anyone who has gained more than 5lbs on here. I have a feeling that most people who have gained their weight back post-op gained it because they didn't have a support system or anything to stay on track, hence the weight gain.

I'm only two and a half weeks out, so I haven't gained any, but I don't think you're gonna find anyone who has gained more than 5lbs on here. I have a feeling that most people who have gained their weight back post-op gained it because they didn't have a support system or anything to stay on track, hence the weight gain.

I would say part of what you said was correct, but there are plenty of people who have gained more than 5# back. It often takes people a lot of courage to come back to a site like this and admit that kind of failure, but we have had some people come back posting their struggles. Having a good support system is critical, but I also know someone who had the good support system but REFUSED to change her lifestyle/ eating habits. In fact, she never even came close to reaching goal because of it.

When we go through these surgeries, and get through the initial shock to our body, most of us tell ourselves we will never let ourselves allow this to get out of control again, but we are all human and not everyone will succeed unfortunately.

We just have to try to reach out for help when we need it and not wait too long to do it.

Its a very common mistake early out to think that ones self and everyone else will feel the way you do right now forever. I remember early on I felt like you do. Studies show that after 5 years VSG has about the same weight loss as RNY... that would be between 50% to 70% excess weight kept off. Please do not think of a weight bounce or not getting all the way to goal as an out and out failure. This is a long haul lifestyle change... and keeping even 50% of the weight off over the long run is better than most do going on diets and yoyoing around. I still work to get to goal, at 2 years... I have had a "bounce" for several reasons I can see for myself including an injury. I have worked to adjust and not gain any more... but losing those gained pounds are still just a little beyond my reach at this point... I have not given up and I may have to tear down some hard seated beliefs to get there. Time will tell for all of us.

In one study I found:

The patients who received only a SG (n = 75) had %EWL of 53.6, 65.8 and 62.6 % after 6, 12 and 24 months, respectively.

Revisional Procedures After SG Over the total observation period of 24 months, a second operation to induce weight loss was required in 25.0 % (25) of the patients to develop further weight loss or amelioration on comorbidities. Three patients underwent RYGBP and 22 patients DS.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/771803

here is info from another study… not new studies…. shows 53% EW kept off at 6 years...

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-candidates.html

by these % I am actually doing better than average, but still want to do 100% if possible as we all wish! Still looking for a newer study....

FYI:

90lbs goal (100% Excess weight loss)

85lbs highest weight lost (94.4% EWL)

65lbs current weight lost (72.22% EWL)

I have no gain at all.. there was not an option for that choice.. Im post op dec 20th and have not had a stall or wt gain at all.

A few more studies... knowledge is power!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622654

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy/vertical-sleeve-gastrectomy-candidates/print.html

As with any bariatric procedure, long-term weight regain can occur and, in the case of SG, this could be managed effectively with re-intervention. Informed consent for SG used as a primary procedure should be consistent with consent provided for other bariatric procedures and should include the risk of long-term weight gain.

http://asmbs.org/2012/06/sleeve-gastrectomy-as-a-bariatric-procedure-update/

I have no gain at all.. there was not an option for that choice.. Im post op dec 20th and have not had a stall or wt gain at all.

Sounds like you are doing well so far. This topic is about weight gain for those sleevers who are a year or two out and close to goal or at goal and trying to maintain.

Good job though on your weight loss :)

I think it's funny that sleevers post things like "I'm 3 months out and haven't gained any weight back!" Well none of us did at 3 months out! Or 6 months out! Or even 9 months out. Post again when you're 2 years out and share your stories about keeping the weight off, or those secrets to success. We all need to encourage each other as we live with these life style changes.

It's called rose colored glasses. I'm 4 years and 3 months out now and still no regain. But it's a lot of work and dedication. I will always have to exercise several times a week and weigh and measure my food. Most people give up and start eating whatever they want. It's so common. I have several sleeved friends at various stages post op and they've all gained some except me. They simply quit watching their food intake. It happens, that's the bottom line.

Laura

It's called rose colored glasses. I'm 4 years and 3 months out now and still no regain. But it's a lot of work and dedication. I will always have to exercise several times a week and weigh and measure my food. Most people give up and start eating whatever they want. It's so common. I have several sleeved friends at various stages post op and they've all gained some except me. They simply quit watching their food intake. It happens, that's the bottom line.

Laura

I am so happy to hear you are having this kind of success at over 4 years out! I also exercise 4+ days a week, and log all my food. So far I have refused to eat less than 1200 cals a day, and I am a vegetarian=more carbs. I use fitbit to watch my output as well (for only the last month so far...love it!) according to my input=output I input 500 cals a day less than I output.I do eat my exercise cals back to stay at the -500 cals a day. No weight loss so far, but I am staying the same. I refuse to eat less. This might have to change, but Im taking it slow. Everyone is different! There are others on here that watch everything and stay the same out a couple of years.

I am so happy to hear you are having this kind of success at over 4 years out! I also exercise 4+ days a week' date=' and log all my food. So far I have refused to eat less than 1200 cals a day, and I am a vegetarian=more carbs. I use fitbit to watch my output as well (for only the last month so far...love it!) according to my input=output I input 500 cals a day less than I output.I do eat my exercise cals back to stay at the -500 cals a day. No weight loss so far, but I am staying the same. I refuse to eat less. This might have to change, but Im taking it slow. Everyone is different! There are others on here that watch everything and stay the same out a couple of years.[/quote']

I eat quite a good amount as well! 1500 to 2000 calories a day. I've been exercising lots for 25 years so I've got a fair amount of muscle from heavy weightlifting. The more muscle you can develop the better for the metabolism. I do have daily indulgences but they are accounted for. I'm not gonna lie, there are times like parties that I eat whatever I want and graze like crazy at these events but it doesn't seem to affect my weight. Maybe it's because I get back on track right away. But if you go the Obesity Help forums there are a LOT of posts about regain. The farther out you get the more diligence this requires. It's so easy to let things creep back in to the daily diet ya know. I'm glad your doing well. Keep at it!

I just started lifting weights in the last month or so. I only do it twice a week for 15-20 minutes, but my weights are going up and I am enjoying it, so hope to keep it up! I think more muscle will be good for many reasons. Cheers, K