Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

uhm that made me double think, thanks for opening my eyes

last year i used to drink orange fresh daily and I was wondering why I get fatter every day. Seems that the answer was very simple.

I will cut the fruits too and see what happens. Does any of you mantain their weight without doing sport often?

Any idea why the carrots are forbidden? Not that I am a huge fan but I want to know...

Thanks

ReallyRose can chime in, but my guess is that carrots have natural sugars. It's not that carrots are bad, but depending on what state someone is in with their journey, sometimes its best to just totally stay away from sugars if they are a trigger for them or might be really carb sensitive. There have been NUMEROUS threads discussing whether the low carb vs low cal is the best approach. At the end of the day, it's what works best for you. There isn't really a one size fits all. The beautiful thing is our sleeve helps to guide us to stay on the right track. I LOVE my sleeve!!! It does get harder towards the end though. Just takes more persistence.

uhm that made me double think, thanks for opening my eyes

last year i used to drink orange fresh daily and I was wondering why I get fatter every day. Seems that the answer was very simple.

I will cut the fruits too and see what happens. Does any of you mantain their weight without doing sport often?

Any idea why the carrots are forbidden? Not that I am a huge fan but I want to know...

Thanks

Atkins says carrots have high glycemic index. That's all I know. I don't like em. I do like potato, tho...dang if I dare try it after 6 mos without

ReallyRose can chime in, but my guess is that carrots have natural sugars. It's not that carrots are bad, but depending on what state someone is in with their journey, sometimes its best to just totally stay away from sugars if they are a trigger for them or might be really carb sensitive. There have been NUMEROUS threads discussing whether the low carb vs low cal is the best approach. At the end of the day, it's what works best for you. There isn't really a one size fits all. The beautiful thing is our sleeve helps to guide us to stay on the right track. I LOVE my sleeve!!! It does get harder towards the end though. Just takes more persistence.

I don't love my sleeve yet. If I can't eat what I want, its no better than a diet.

I don't love my sleeve yet. If I can't eat what I want, its no better than a diet.

Well, try to remember that this is a journey. But, also you CAN eat what you want if you do it in moderation. If it's potatoes and carrots you want, or even a slice of pie, it's not bad to treat yourself. Banning yourself from things you really want only makes people want them more. I treat myself from time to time. In fact for the past 1 1/2 months I have been basically eating whatever I want but because I can't eat much of it, I am able to keep things in check. Granted some of the junk goes down too well.

At the end of March, I took a 2 week vacation to Europe, gained 10# which I fully expected because I wasn't going to restrict myself to staying "on plan". It was my first trip across the big pond and I was going to experience all the different cultures while I was there. Since getting back I have spent the last month and a half getting caught up on "life", my dog got sick and passed away, etc... So, I just gave myself permission to "be human". Fortunately, I have basically maintained since getting back and last week made the commitment to get back on track so I can make it to my final goal. I have since lost 7 of the 10# I gained in Europe and I am going to stay focused until I reach my goal.

We can't be perfect all the time. I hope you do get a point where you do love your sleeve. I see you had your surgery last September. How are you doing with your weight loss?

reallyrosy: I really love my sleeve. I talked to my PCP and he told me that I eat smaller portions but still need to be careful of what I eat. he's absolutely right, I got in a habit for a couple of weeks eating 3 mini hersey's bars and then I got dehydrated and they drew blood and I asked if they would test my A1C level for blood glucose and they did. My A1C had climbed from a 6.0 to a 6.3. It should have went down. So I really don't mind eating just healthy foods because I feel so much better anyways. I love my skinniness(I know it's not a word, but I love it anyways) and wouldn't trade it for anything. The word diet has a negative connotation to us due to our past. But now I look at diet as the way I will be eating for the rest of my live. Yep, I do love my sleeve! Hope things start turning around for you too. I intend to honor my sleeve every day. :)

"if you do it in moderation. "

HA! Me? Moderation? Nope. Can't do it. Gotta be perfect.

At the end of March, I took a 2 week vacation to Europe, gained 10# which I fully expected because I wasn't going to restrict myself to staying "on plan". It was my first trip across the big pond and I was going to experience all the different cultures while I was there. Since getting back I have spent the last month and a half getting caught up on "life", my dog got sick and passed away, etc... So, I just gave myself permission to "be human". Fortunately, I have basically maintained since getting back and last week made the commitment to get back on track so I can make it to my final goal. I have since lost 7 of the 10# I gained in Europe and I am going to stay focused until I reach my goal.

We can't be perfect all the time. I hope you do get a point where you do love your sleeve. I see you had your surgery last September. How are you doing with your weight loss?

I'm sorry abt your dog! That's tuff. I had to rehome my rescued dog cuz she bit people without provocation but I miss her even though I got a brand new puppy and she's cuter than words...so I can feel for you there. I admire people who are able to limit what they eat. If I have a small portion of something 'forbidden' there are always leftovers shouting out from the fridge crying to jump down my gullet.

I have no control over that and the sleeve doesn't stop me from eventually downing the whole thing...whatever it might be. Nothing to love there.

reallyrosy: I really love my sleeve. I talked to my PCP and he told me that I eat smaller portions but still need to be careful of what I eat. he's absolutely right, I got in a habit for a couple of weeks eating 3 mini hersey's bars and then I got dehydrated and they drew blood and I asked if they would test my A1C level for blood glucose and they did. My A1C had climbed from a 6.0 to a 6.3. It should have went down. So I really don't mind eating just healthy foods because I feel so much better anyways. I love my skinniness(I know it's not a word, but I love it anyways) and wouldn't trade it for anything. The word diet has a negative connotation to us due to our past. But now I look at diet as the way I will be eating for the rest of my live. Yep, I do love my sleeve! Hope things start turning around for you too. I intend to honor my sleeve every day. :)

Like I said, the sleeve limits how much of anything I can eat at one time but it doesn't stop me from wanting the remainder of it...like your 3 choc bars...I could never do even the whiff of one...if I had that sort of control, I wouldn't have elected surgery. I'm truly disappointed that the sleeve doesnt help with that parameter and I think the ghrelin thing is highly overrated. I'm still hungry.

Yep, 'diet' is a four letter word, the first three letters highly undesirable. The fact that I have this to look forward to for the rest of my life sucks big time ---IN MY OPINION.

IOW this ain't the 'magic' I was looking for.

I'm 6 mos out and according to my pcp, 87# down. Will have 6 mos f/up with s(t)urgeon on the 6th.

I'm sorry abt your dog! That's tuff. I had to rehome my rescued dog cuz she bit people without provocation but I miss her even though I got a brand new puppy and she's cuter than words...so I can feel for you there. I admire people who are able to limit what they eat. If I have a small portion of something 'forbidden' there are always leftovers shouting out from the fridge crying to jump down my gullet.

I have no control over that and the sleeve doesn't stop me from eventually downing the whole thing...whatever it might be. Nothing to love there.

Thank you for your kind words. She was my buddy and companion and is sorely missed.

As for you having to be perfect? Well, not everybody responds the same. It sounds like you know your "demons" well, and so given that then it is probably best not to tempt yourself. I like that my body reacts so quickly when I eat the wrong things. It's like touching a hot stove, after awhile you start to associate certain foods with SUCH discomfort that the thought of eating or drinking them is enough to cause a person to make other choices. One thing I have noticed is that sweets has always been a huge downfall for me and now because they make me feel horrible more than not, I have found myself moving towards crunchy and salty stuff. Not really any better to be honest, but I just try to be aware of these trends so that I can stay in control.

The concern I have for you is that we aren't robots and so I'm not sure it's reasonable to think that you will never cheat. Perhaps you might consider seeing someone who specializes in working with people with food addictions to help you reframe how you view food so that at some point down the road you can learn to allow yourself an occasional treat without allowing it to get out of control. Just a thought.

Hi reallyrosie: I was struggling with hunger most of the time too. I had a lot of gas and was always expelling gas, thank goodness it was during the right times when I was alone. LOL. But I ended up increasing my omeprazole, taking gas x, extra strength, and Lactaid, in addition to increasing my Fluid intake which I drink a lot of low calorie Gatorade diluted with Water. I find that when I drink a lot of fluids and take my arsenal of above listed pills, to my surprise, I'm not really that hungry. Most of the time, my hunger is head hunger which means I'm thinking about some kind of food I love. I am not hungry, just my old thinking kicks in place. When I eat the treat in my head, it doesn't taste as good as I thought it was. So I am constantly reminding myself that I am having head hunger and that I don't need it anyways. this happens to me when I'm bored, having to do something I don't want to do, or feeling depressed. So now I've taken up to exercising. In fact I need to go walking when I'm done with my reply to you.

BTW, you have done a great job with your weight loss! CONGRATS! Hope you have more energy and take care.

I'm on a healthy eating pattern for life. :)

l

[stuff deleted]

The concern I have for you is that we aren't robots and so I'm not sure it's reasonable to think that you will never cheat. Perhaps you might consider seeing someone who specializes in working with people with food addictions to help you reframe how you view food so that at some point down the road you can learn to allow yourself an occasional treat without allowing it to get out of control. Just a thought.

What?? U mean to say there's a therapy I didn't try yet and might have helped before I had the survgery? Darn.

The reason I had surgery is because I have no control. I wish people wouldn't make assumptions...

What?? U mean to say there's a therapy I didn't try yet and might have helped before I had the survgery? Darn.

The reason I had surgery is because I have no control. I wish people wouldn't make assumptions...

No need for the attitude. I was just trying to offer some advice- what you do with it is up to you.

Rosy, I was going to suggest perhaps checking into therapy. I've seen some of your other posts and know that you've been struggling. I'm considering doing it after I'm sleeved because I know I eat emotionally. As everyone says on this board, the sleeve isn't a magic pill; it's just a tool. There's still work we have to do. I think former_vbg was just trying to help.

I sincerely hope you start feeling better about your decision. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to reverse it. And I think it's important for everyone to know that it isn't always rainbows and sunshine. But there's nothing we can do other than give you support and encouragement. And that's was vbg was trying to do.

Rosy, I was going to suggest perhaps checking into therapy. I've seen some of your other posts and know that you've been struggling. I'm considering doing it after I'm sleeved because I know I eat emotionally. As everyone says on this board, the sleeve isn't a magic pill; it's just a tool. There's still work we have to do. I think former_vbg was just trying to help.

I sincerely hope you start feeling better about your decision. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to reverse it. And I think it's important for everyone to know that it isn't always rainbows and sunshine. But there's nothing we can do other than give you support and encouragement. And that's was vbg was trying to do.

I truly appreciate your sentiment. I get the spirit in which the advice is offered. But who in their right mind hasn't done some serious investigation into all the aspects of this venture before having the surgery? Why not ask me if I've looked into therapy instead of issuing an outright diagnosis and rx? I find it insulting. I'm not stupid and wouldn't complain as bitterly as I do if I couldn't be honest about my expectations before and the after reality. The psych interview prior to surgery is a joke. Not enuf is made of the fact that we need more than casual support and therapy to help modify a faulty life style. If the docs did that, there'd be far fewer surgeries for wl!

Its our fault, too, because we tend to think that if the doc doesn't want to do it for us its for personal reasons.

Before i'd venture to rx psychotherapy intervention to another poster, id ask what kinds of therapies they'd already tried. I'd venture to discuss the types of therapy that might help or that have helped me ...but I would stop short of saying "check out blankety blank's addictive food therapy cuz it'd help you."

So I ask again...why do people presume to make assumptions?

Thanks for the chance to clarify my "attitude"

Good luck to you

Wow

I truly appreciate your sentiment. I get the spirit in which the advice is offered. But who in their right mind hasn't done some serious investigation into all the aspects of this venture before having the surgery? Why not ask me if I've looked into therapy instead of issuing an outright diagnosis and rx? I find it insulting. I'm not stupid and wouldn't complain as bitterly as I do if I couldn't be honest about my expectations before and the after reality. The psych interview prior to surgery is a joke. Not enuf is made of the fact that we need more than casual support and therapy to help modify a faulty life style. If the docs did that, there'd be far fewer surgeries for wl!

Its our fault, too, because we tend to think that if the doc doesn't want to do it for us its for personal reasons.

Before i'd venture to rx psychotherapy intervention to another poster, id ask what kinds of therapies they'd already tried. I'd venture to discuss the types of therapy that might help or that have helped me ...but I would stop short of saying "check out blankety blank's addictive food therapy cuz it'd help you."

So I ask again...why do people presume to make assumptions?

Thanks for the chance to clarify my "attitude"

Good luck to you

It's not my job to ask someone a million questions. Not to mention, it's none of my business whether you have had therapy or not previously. Believe it or not, there are an AMAZING number of people who do not get therapy in advance of this surgery. I know someone down in TX who was self-pay in Dallas who did practically NO research and went off what her surgeon told her. Didn't go to any seminars, didn't do any of her own research, and to this day doesn't even know hardly anything about the other types of WL surgeries out there. Oh, and btw, she has only lost about 35# since her surgery nearly a year ago.

So, again, I'm not going to play million questions to someone. I can't read minds. I'm hear to offer support, give advice when I think it might help and I'm also here for me to get the support I need to finish my journey. I expect to be around after I finish, but my point is- if you are going to look for advice from other people, don't expect them to ask you your history before they give you advice. That's the job of a therapist. We are just people here to support one another. If you don't like the advice, then do not take it- nobody is forcing you.