Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On Saturday, I was with friends browsing in some little shops in a quaint lakefront city (South Haven, MI). We happened upon a chocolate Shoppe and everyone purchased a "treat." I purchased a two small pieces of sugar free Chocolates (a pecan patty and an English toffee square). I rationalized that the sugar free were a better choice than the regular versions. I ate one each after dinner for snack both Saturday and Sunday nights. Pretty tasty!

However, I felt horribly guilty since that was the type of stuff I would have done prior to surgery and I DON'T want to fall into bad habits.

Does anyone after surgery make Sugar Free Chocolate a regular part of their eating plan? Is it any better for you than eating the real stuff? Is this an okay snack or should I leave these alone.

THANKS in advance.

Marie

Hi there, well you've done great on your weight loss so far, and i feel like Haven't we felt guilty enough in our lives that we need to continue feeling quilty. You did nothing wrong, just don't do it often. . . now to tell you the truth about sugar free. . . the brain can't tell the difference between sugar free or sugar. . to the brain, it's a sweet a carb, which tells the brain to crave more carbs. . . so in all reality it's not any better then real sugar products. That is why people CAN gain weight on diet soda as well. . . best thing is to eat/drink very minimal amounts of these things or none at all. Hope this helps

Hi there, well you've done great on your weight loss so far, and i feel like Haven't we felt guilty enough in our lives that we need to continue feeling quilty. You did nothing wrong, just don't do it often. . . now to tell you the truth about sugar free. . . the brain can't tell the difference between sugar free or sugar. . to the brain, it's a sweet a carb, which tells the brain to crave more carbs. . . so in all reality it's not any better then real sugar products. That is why people CAN gain weight on diet soda as well. . . best thing is to eat/drink very minimal amounts of these things or none at all. Hope this helps

Hi Marie!

This is great advise... and do not feel guilty, just get back on track!

My husband "thought" he was being nice and at Easter he bought me a bg of the Russel Stover sugar free carmel pecan turtles. I had learned in nutrition class just because something says sugar free, READ THE LABEL... because offten the SF stuff has more calories than regular (especially SF cookies)...

I couldnt resist and ate one, quickly ate a second..... and in about a 1/2 hour I became natuous, I had the cold sweats, the room was spinning,,, I actually had to lay down on the bathroom floor I was so ill... as it turned out, I had a reaction to this one incrediant in the sugar free candies... I cant think of the name of it right now, but trust me, I was so sick from it I will never eat sugar free candy again! It is odd because I eat SF popcycles or SF fudgecylcles almost every night, but no, no, no to SF candy!

Take care!!!

The ingredient in sugarfree stuff is probably malatol or another alcohol sugar. One problem is that the substitute sweeteners can cause a lot of gas and "D" if you eat to much of it. I think that I'd have the regular/real chocolate on occasion and really enjoy it rather than the sugar-free stuff...

I have had SF and real chocolate. The thing is, once you kick those taste buds into sugar mode, they will want more. So it can be a viscious cycle that leads to over doing it.

Note: When I have the real stuff, I limit it to a small amount so I don't go crazy with it. Plus, one Hershey kiss last a long time if you let it melt in your mouth. It can take the edge off the craving during TOM.

To each their own.

I would not add candy, sugar-free or not, as a "regular" part of my food plan. It has empty calories and with a tiny tummy, I want the most bang for my food buck. As a rare treat, or if you come across some special sort you can't get anywhere else, I'd say go for it, but a pecan patty and English toffee? Nope, not me.

OP here. Thanks for all the input. I will put this one down as bad judgement and will try not to repeat it! I think if I have a craving for chocolate, I should just buy myself one great piece of real chocolate, enjoy it, and let it be over.

Yes and make sure it's dark chocolate as well. . . 97% cocoa or more. . much better for you