Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Cancelling my Surgery.. HELP!!!

My surgery date is on the 16th which is this Tuesday.. in 2 days! Im starting to really freak out. I have been cheating on my diet and have only been doing 2 Protein shakes a day and one meal. I'm scared that I may end up having complications during surgery because of what I have been doing. Does anyone have suggestions? I have really been looking forward for this surgery for so long but now that it is actually near I'm getting more scared.

Does anyone know what type of complications is possible for someone who has been eating the 2 weeks they were supposed to be on liquid diet? I have lost 7 lbs d past 2 weeks but I'm still scared of the possible complications? '

Should I just cancel or postpone my surgery? HELP!!!

The pre op diet is all depending on your surgeon. Some surgeons don't even require it. I think you will be fine. Everyone has these fears but stay strong.

I only had a one-day preop diet - my nutritionists said my surgeon was not concerned about fatty liver. That's the reason a lot of surgeons want patients to do a 2-week preop diet. Also it's good to get in the mindset of upping the Protein and Portion Control. Honestly I wish I would have had a longer required pre-op diet because it's been a bit of a shock to me.

That said, you need to be honest with your surgeon's office and let them know what you've been doing. They may not be concerned about it but they may want to postpone.

Thanks for the fast response @ Raine and Indymom... I'm actually thinking of calling my surgeons office tomorrow morning and telling them about it. I'm just concerned because I know for a fact that the next available surgery date for me will not be until last week of September, meaning I will have to wait another 6 weeks for it. :(

Thanks for the fast response @ Raine and Indymom... I'm actually thinking of calling my surgeons office tomorrow morning and telling them about it. I'm just concerned because I know for a fact that the next available surgery date for me will not be until last week of September, meaning I will have to wait another 6 weeks for it. :(

I didn't follow the pre-op to a T either. And to be honest with you, one of the surgeons I was considering going to told me I didn't need to do any pre-op. So.. I think you should be ok. I guess the best way to find out though is to call. Good luck :)

I am supposed to do a 2week pre-op too but felt so weak and hungry after 3 days I started eating again. i am planning on trying again from tomorrow which will give me 1 week - let us know how your doc responds to the news...

The whole reason for the pre-op diet is to lose weight and ultimatley to shrink your liver. When we are extreamly heavy, our livers are huge!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes it really hard on the surgeon when our liver is big and it gets in the way. They have to put camers in there and long things with stapler's on them and grabby things (they all have names, but I dont know what they are LOL). Anyway, when we lose weight, our liver shrinks! That is the reason behind it.

If you have lost some weight, I am sure you have shrunk your liver some, how much?? I don't know. Try to be better for the next few days until your surgery and you will be o.k., I am sure!!

You need to think of the reason you wanted this in the first place. Do you really want to start all over and have to wait again? I think not and we all have been there and scared! I am sure you will be fine. Don't worry.

KElly ;)

The whole reason for the pre-op diet is to lose weight and ultimatley to shrink your liver. When we are extreamly heavy, our livers are huge!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes it really hard on the surgeon when our liver is big and it gets in the way. They have to put camers in there and long things with stapler's on them and grabby things (they all have names, but I dont know what they are LOL). Anyway, when we lose weight, our liver shrinks! That is the reason behind it.

If you have lost some weight, I am sure you have shrunk your liver some, how much?? I don't know. Try to be better for the next few days until your surgery and you will be o.k., I am sure!!

You need to think of the reason you wanted this in the first place. Do you really want to start all over and have to wait again? I think not and we all have been there and scared! I am sure you will be fine. Don't worry.

KElly ;)

Yes, my bmi was 33 and I think that's why I didn't require a post op. That's right about the liver :)

My surgery is tomorrow... all that is required is that today i only drink Clear Liquids and drink a bottle and a half of magnesium citrate at 10am and again at 2pm (currently trying to choke that down). And then nothing after midnight. So I wouldn't worry about complications if you clean out your system the day b4

I think it really depends on what you are eating for your one meal. I only had a two day liquid diet but I had been on a very low carb diet for three months prior. My surgeon showed me pictures of a patients liver who wanted "one last meal" and had a big meal of Pasta. It was ugly and caused complication during the surgery. Now, he says he won't even operate if he opens you up and see's a fatty liver.

If you are chowing down on Pasta and high carbs - then call your doctor. It's not worth the chance of complications. If you are eating high Protein, low carbs, just do the two days liquid starting now and you will be fine.

Good luck.

I had no pre-op diet at all. I think you'll be fine.

My surgery date is on the 16th which is this Tuesday.. in 2 days! Im starting to really freak out. I have been cheating on my diet and have only been doing 2 Protein shakes a day and one meal. I'm scared that I may end up having complications during surgery because of what I have been doing. Does anyone have suggestions? I have really been looking forward for this surgery for so long but now that it is actually near I'm getting more scared.

Does anyone know what type of complications is possible for someone who has been eating the 2 weeks they were supposed to be on liquid diet? I have lost 7 lbs d past 2 weeks but I'm still scared of the possible complications? '

Should I just cancel or postpone my surgery? HELP!!!

Hi, I am also having surgery on Tuesday!! I was getting rashes from so much whey Protein and I was advised to stop the shakes, eat a high protein diet with very low fat which I have. They said I could have carnation instant Breakfast, some fruit, etc. to keep myself from not feeling too hungry. I really don't think that you will have any problem. Just be honest and let them know you struggled with the pre-op diet. Call them tomorrow so if there is any hesitation on thier part, they will let you know.. I think your just nervous , but you will be fine!!! focus on why you wanted to do the surgery in the first place? To be Thinner, Happier and Healthier and just go for it.

GIRLLLL, DONT CANCEL! I HAD NO PRE-Op diet! My surgeon required me to loose 30 lbs before surgery would be scheduled. I did that within a 5 month period. He said that is plenty enough to shrink liver. Oh and then nothing to eat or drink the day before surgery. You'll be fine.. Great on Protein Shakes though, that helps with shrinkage tooooo. Unless your gorging on highly fatty foods for weeks up to surgery( Mcdonals,burger king-i could go on w-America's death traps) YOU WILL BE FINE!!!